2017 Powell River Reports

I headed up north of Lund this weekend and ended up with about 550 prawns. Tried our luck fishing near the red can south west of Cortes and also Sarah point but had no luck at either. Super calm nice day .

Had a fun morning off Gibson's Beach this morning. Lots of action biggest was 13lbs. Down deep. Also heard from a buddy who had one at harwood. Weather report said gale warning not even close glass calm.

Last edited:
Well i guess its time to bring this page back up. the fishing has been pretty good out front of VanAnda , coho point and grants reef. ive been getting all my fish on plugs , between 135 and 185 . the 500 has been very productive. ive seen lots of reports on crackbook about Powell River and Texada , would be nice to see some of those reports on here.

I was out at coho point this am from about 6 to 10 . Started with bait but had no luck so I switched over to a couple hootchies and picked up 2 that were just under size and one about 10 lbs. Really nice morning on the water.

I also had a good couple of days at Grants reef. Picked up a 22 and 18 pounder last night at 70' and a 15 pounder this morning. I have never seen so much bait in my life. Thought it was raining as it was so noisy. Prawning is also good in front of Savary. Great feast tonight - salmon, crab, prawns... nothing better.

I hit grants reef this am also. Picked up 5 springs in the first hour and a half then it died off for me. Biggest was around 15 . So much bait the sounder was reading 20 feet in 200 feet of water. White glow hootchie worked for me .

I'll be going to Cortes mid July---hope the fish are still there---haven't fished there in years. I used to fish Sarah Point and around Lund ---

So, quick question: a lot of guys at the time told me I was wasting my time, said the springs were yesterday's news in Desolation Sound---I did work hard for the few fish I got (one trip I fished 5 straight days without a bite then got a 40 pounder on the last day---that was it) but I'm curious about the promising reports I've seen over the last few years when I haven't been there---seems like it's pretty good fishing around Texada and Cortes---are these fish that are caught migrating down Johnstone St., heading south, and basically, Grant's Reef is an intercept fishery? Or are some of these fish going way back into the inlets in Desolation like Toba?

Back then I had a guide in Powell River tell me it was worth running to Toba Inlet---but it was too long a run and I was with wife and kids so I stayed near Lund ----- curious about where these fish are heading and if it's worth going way back there?

Thanks

I'll be going to Cortes mid July---hope the fish are still there---haven't fished there in years. I used to fish Sarah Point and around Lund ---

So, quick question: a lot of guys at the time told me I was wasting my time, said the springs were yesterday's news in Desolation Sound---I did work hard for the few fish I got (one trip I fished 5 straight days without a bite then got a 40 pounder on the last day---that was it) but I'm curious about the promising reports I've seen over the last few years when I haven't been there---seems like it's pretty good fishing around Texada and Cortes---are these fish that are caught migrating down Johnstone St., heading south, and basically, Grant's Reef is an intercept fishery? Or are some of these fish going way back into the inlets in Desolation like Toba?

Back then I had a guide in Powell River tell me it was worth running to Toba Inlet---but it was too long a run and I was with wife and kids so I stayed near Lund ----- curious about where these fish are heading and if it's worth going way back there?

Thanks

From my experience, fishing has been pretty terrible in Desolation and Toba over the last few years, especially in July and August. Fish seem to be more south. If you can, take a run to Mace Point or Grants.

Sharp hooks. Be a whole new ballgame by mid-July. This has been a better start to the year in the gulf from YVR up to CR in years though. So lets hope it stays good till your trip in July. Was in toba yesterday fished 4 hours notta

Thanks
I had good luck in Homfery Chanel last July. There is a long wall just north of Lloyd point. I fished it 60-90 feet and caught fish on the Green AP herring spoon and an Army Truck Hootchie with a Madi flasher. Nothing big mid teens, good enough for me though.

I had good luck in Homfery Chanel last July. There is a long wall just north of Lloyd point. I fished it 60-90 feet and caught fish on the Green AP herring spoon and an Army Truck Hootchie with a Madi flasher. Nothing big mid teens, good enough for me though.

Interesting I spend a lot of time up that way and have never fished there. I will have to give it a go! Thanks

It had been a while since I fished local, but today I had some fun out with a few buddies this morning had some great action then back out late afternoon with just me and my 3yr old. A lot of work but a fun time. Landed a double header on plugs and headed home. Coho Point was the place.IMG_4564.JPG
IMG_4559.JPG

Last edited:
It had been a while since I fished local, but today I had some fun out with a few buddies this morning had some great action then back out late afternoon with just me and my 3yr old. A lot of work but a fun time. Landed a double header on plugs and headed home. Coho Point was the place.View attachment 33379

Awesome buddy! What kind of plugs?

Up at Toba for the weekend. WOW 42 hours trolling and 2 strikes. One fish. Fished hard. 27 guys on a derby and 15 fish caught. 15 guys didn't weigh in a fish. Can't wait to get out front and actually have some action on the rods.

Back