2017 Port Renfrew Reports

New to the board... just wondering if Swiftsure is putting out any fish yet? Planning on heading up that way (from the WA side) in a couple of weeks if the weather permits.

So we went out but not to Swiftsure... stayed in the strait a little east of Port Renfrew. Got 5 halibut in two days. Not hot, and had to grind it out, but it was an easy run. Will be heading to Swiftsure probably in June. I've heard the chinook aren't really on the bank yet? Hopefully there will be salmon and hali there in a month.

Got a hali in close on Sunday Morning fishing by my self so quick limit. LOL
Crabs were hit and miss. Some traps loaded and some empty. Big crab but soft shells.

Water was nice for the most part other than the wind funnel in the Bay and some fog on Sunday.

Tips

I've got a crew member who gets seasick easily so I was looking for another option vs. Swiftsure for an upcoming trip. We are coming from Washington.

I've read reports from Owens and Camper along the beach. Looking at the charts, it seems like that may be a shallow water fishery. Is it pretty much a bait show there? I'm typically a spoon fisherman so I want to make sure I'm geared properly.

Also, does anyone fish halibut right near Renfrew -- looks to be sandy there at the entrance, but pretty rocky along the shorelines in either direction? In May we came up to target halibut, and fished just east of Sombrio Pt. We did ok, but wanted to do a combo trip this time. It didn't seem like the salmon fishing would be as productive off Sombrio because I've never heard of anyone fishing there.

Thanks for info/reports! I'll drag his butt out to Swiftsure at least one day but it'd be nice to give the puker a break by sticking inside for a day or two.

What people call" the beach" at Renfrew is the shoreline from Owen Point west,incuding all the creek outfalls,Camper,Logan etc..It is typically a bait show,either Cutplugging or anchovy usually behind a flasher.Fishing depths are shallow,20-40 ft. is normal following the shoreline.There are lots of area's that hold halibut other than "Swiftshure" bank outside Nitinat and east of renfrew.Depending on when your going the salmon fishing could be better offshore or on the beach.Give your spoons a wash too,you never know.Hope this helps.

Great info... thank you! That's super shallow! I would not have thought of bringing that kind of gear. That means I'll bring mooching sinkers and bait for sure.

I'm heading up in a couple of weeks - June 16-18. I've gone back to past years' reports and it seems like the beach is better come July. I know Swiftsure should start holding some salmon here soon if they aren't already there. Having an inside option will be good. Will give it a go. Will keep watching for new reports.

I know halibut holes can be proprietary, but anyone willing to share info on spots worth stopping at between Renfrew and Sombrio Pt.... that would be appreciated! I'll be working the shelves there that we fished in May as my default option for staying inside.

Great info... thank you! That's super shallow! I would not have thought of bringing that kind of gear. That means I'll bring mooching sinkers and bait for sure.

I'm heading up in a couple of weeks - June 16-18. I've gone back to past years' reports and it seems like the beach is better come July. I know Swiftsure should start holding some salmon here soon if they aren't already there. Having an inside option will be good. Will give it a go. Will keep watching for new reports.

I know halibut holes can be proprietary, but anyone willing to share info on spots worth stopping at between Renfrew and Sombrio Pt.... that would be appreciated! I'll be working the shelves there that we fished in May as my default option for staying inside.
do you know John beath ???

this is savy

Hello Arimadave

Im sure you may of already heard this if you have some people who are prone to sea sickness then go to the drug store and get the motion sickness patch the name is TRANSDERM its about the size of a dime and looks like a bandaid you simply put it behind your ear,its magical Ive had many pukers on board well fishing in heavy seas,it is recommended it be put on 24 hours before you head out and last for 3 days or so depending on the persons body.The guys come back year after year with the PATCH on and have no problems and get to enjoy there trip instead of feeling like their going to die.oh ya really helps with hangovers too,its the best thing since sliced bread.. you get two in a package for about 10 dollars can.Very cheap insurance when your spending some good money on a fishing trip.

Tight lines
Billydoo

No, I don't know John Beath. I know who he is. I think I may have seen him at some sportsman show or something.

Thanks for the info about the Scopalamine patch. Yes, he's done that for the last couple of years and the last time out in pretty good water conditions WITH the patch he still lost it! He deals with it, but it's nice to mix in days inside to give him a break. My wife has the same issue-- still gets seasick even with the patch. We have to really pick our days for her to keep breakfast down.

We'll be up there in a week. I've never had a trifecta (salmon, halibut and ling in one day)... I'm hoping we might have a shot.

Hey ArimaDave look up bonamine, certain drugstores will carry/make it, call around, this is the best thing for seasickness. Not a good feeling for those that get sick. Good luck out there, I will be fishing during the week, heavy hauler is the boat, i will be going in circles around Camper Creek. Fishing is still hit and miss, went out early on Tuesday to hit the low slack, fished maybe 1.5 hrs on the beach, landed a 15,20, lost 2 others and went and got a pair of 35 butts, next day sfa :)

Back