2017 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Had to work for our 4 fish today at Sangster. Tons of slime on gear and not much bait and 20SW winds this morning but it calmed down and a day was made. Friend's son bonked a nice 23 beside us. Herring in all the fish hence we used spoons.

Hi guys, planning on going out tommorow, been wondering how's it been out there as I've heard it's hit and miss and also heard of some Hali getting picked up truth or fiah stories???

I have lost 8 traps around Howe Sound myself. Some probably drifted off some probably stolen. I too like to know the whole story here.
Okay Folks. I might be opening a whole new can of worms here but I have some new info on the boat and the incident. Mind you I wasn't there and this side of the story is from the supposed guilty party. I recognized the boat in the picture and have contact the owner about it. I am not defending poaching nor people stealing traps since I too have lost 8 traps myself this year. I am going to wait one more day for JD Wolfe let us know how the incident was resolved before presenting the others sides version.

Hi guys, planning on going out tommorow, been wondering how's it been out there as I've heard it's hit and miss and also heard of some Hali getting picked up truth or fiah stories???

Was out today still slime in the water and only 1 hit on the humps in 4 hrs, went and got some lings instead

I was over at sangster yesterday, managed one keeper and two undersized. Things seem to have slowed down a bit after an exceptional start to the season. But there are certainly still a few fish around.

I was over at sangster yesterday, managed one keeper and two undersized. Things seem to have slowed down a bit after an exceptional start to the season. But there are certainly still a few fish around.
Thanks coyotespoon I'm heading out right now gonna try and make a day of it will post results later tonight... Any ideas on some ling spots not looking for the go to spots just a few suggestions on which area produce sometimes..

Can you guys remind me what vhf station you monitor, I'll be out Friday if the southeast comes down enough

Busted red-handed Stealing prawn traps near schooner cove View attachment 32864 View attachment 32863
Okay Folks. I might be opening a whole new can of worms here but I have some new info on the boat and the incident. Mind you I wasn't there and this side of the story is from the supposed guilty party. I recognized the boat in the picture and have contact the owner about it. I am not defending poaching nor people stealing traps since I too have lost 8 traps myself this year. I am going to wait one more day for JD Wolfe let us know how the incident was resolved before presenting the others sides version.

Seems like J Wolfe is not going to respond so I am going to lay out what the other party had to say about the incident. Again, full disclosure, I wasn't there to see the whole thing but this is what the other side said to me:

As everyone can see from the pics, these are new immigrants and they don't speak much English. The boat in question is a Jeanneau power boat and there really aren't many of them around. This particular one is moored in North Vancouver, same marina as mine thus I was able to talk to the owner about it. On the day of the incident, the boat went across the straight and was fishing in the schooner cover area. The driver does not have much experience driving the boat and some how got his trim taps tangled up with a prawn trap line. They tried to free the rope from the taps to no avail and he cannot run the boat to any nearby marina. After struggling for 15 mins, they decided to pull the rope up to see if they can free it that way. It was then that the owner of prawn traps showed up and there was a heated argument. Again these guys don't speak much English so there is a chance of miscommunication between all parties. According to the owner, they ended up agreeing cut the rope to free it from the trimp taps and as compensation paid the owner of the traps 400 cash. The prawn traps were not lost but the rope was severed.

Again, I wasn't there but this what the owner said to me. There is always a chance that some of the truth might have been twisted by J Wolfe, "the thiefs" or both. However, if that is indeed what happened and money was paid as compensation then the whole story, not just what one side said needs to be told.

Cheers,

Seems like J Wolfe is not going to respond so I am going to lay out what the other party had to say about the incident. Again, full disclosure, I wasn't there to see the whole thing but this is what the other side said to me:

As everyone can see from the pics, these are new immigrants and they don't speak much English. The boat in question is a Jeanneau power boat and there really aren't many of them around. This particular one is moored in North Vancouver, same marina as mine thus I was able to talk to the owner about it. On the day of the incident, the boat went across the straight and was fishing in the schooner cover area. The driver does not have much experience driving the boat and some how got his trim taps tangled up with a prawn trap line. They tried to free the rope from the taps to no avail and he cannot run the boat to any nearby marina. After struggling for 15 mins, they decided to pull the rope up to see if they can free it that way. It was then that the owner of prawn traps showed up and there was a heated argument. Again these guys don't speak much English so there is a chance of miscommunication between all parties. According to the owner, they ended up agreeing cut the rope to free it from the trimp taps and as compensation paid the owner of the traps 400 cash. The prawn traps were not lost but the rope was severed.

Again, I wasn't there but this what the owner said to me. There is always a chance that some of the truth might have been twisted by J Wolfe, "the thiefs" or both. However, if that is indeed what happened and money was paid as compensation then the whole story, not just what one side said needs to be told.

Cheers,

I call BS.
Little experience driving the boat?
You drive all that way and have little experience? Ballsy.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster as they know how to navigate all that distance.
You also couldn't drive around the buoy in open water?
You couldn't just cut the rope 20' down and then cleat off the traps and free line off the tabs and tie back into his float?

Not buying it.

Hi guys well on another note went out at 11 this afternoon and did some bottom fiahing found 2 lings one each... Also fished sangster for 2 hours tried all the go to hootchies and spoons and flashers... seen a huge ling trolled up though... Decided to head to humps in French Creek and it was game on hit a bunch of fish all at 160ft in 205ft of water... And the magic was 4" mother of Pearl and green glow hootchie... Turned out to be epic about 15 fish on and lost and released aswell as keepers in two hours.. All fish between 330 and 5 in afternoon... Hope this helps others... beautiful day on the water...

Attachments

• DSC_1242.JPG
    DSC_1242.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_1234.JPG
    DSC_1234.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_1237.JPG
    DSC_1237.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_1240.JPG
    DSC_1240.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 127
Hi guys well on another note went out at 11 this afternoon and did some bottom fiahing found 2 lings one each... Also fished sangster for 2 hours tried all the go to hootchies and spoons and flashers... seen a huge ling trolled up though... Decided to head to humps in French Creek and it was game on hit a bunch of fish all at 160ft in 205ft of water... And the magic was 4" mother of Pearl and green glow hootchie... Turned out to be epic about 15 fish on and lost and released aswell as keepers in two hours.. All fish between 330 and 5 in afternoon... Hope this helps others... beautiful day on the water...

Curious....can you post a pic of that hoochie?

Thanks.

Back