Good day out on the water. Went out for halibut just west of sooke. Dropped the pick around 8am and fished the morning, tide was not running too BAD.... Got my first fish on for the year, not big (18lbs), then one hour later my son got his first halibut of the year a (28lbs).:)

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG IMG_0984.JPG Went out this morining looking for a nice one & got this.( 35 lbs)....Hopefully my luck holds out until tomorrow for the Derby.

Last edited:
Nice haul boys,, well done.

We got a 10lb hatchery this morning just outside the can at Pedder Bay.. on the bottom ,120ft of water,,white hoochie. We were also checked out by RCMP and fisheries officer.. We were easy pickins for them as we were the only boat in the area.

Testing,,,trying to attach a photo..My buddy's catch from yesterday..

Attachments

• IMG_3802.JPG
    IMG_3802.JPG
    330 KB · Views: 171
Nice winter spring there NEWF, keep them coming. Also where and what depth, and what you were using to get that one. Thats up too YOU.... Still nice fish. :):):)

Nice winter spring there NEWF, keep them coming. Also where and what depth, and what you were using to get that one. Thats up too YOU.... Still nice fish. :):):)
Most of the info was in the previous post but I didn't know how to attach the photo in the same post. (just outside the Navy can at Pedder Bay.. on the bottom ,120ft of water,,white hoochie.) Black and white flasher. The flasher and the hoochie probably have "proper" names but that's too much for me to remember. LOL

Fished Pedder Bay yesterday in the pouring rain and last bit of the wind chop. Headed out about 2:30, picked up a nice 10lb hatchery white spring, literally right beside the Navy can buoy. 115 on the rigger, anchovy with bloody nose teaser head.

Haven't had much luck this past week. There are some fish around, just gotta put your time in. Think small.

Fished Pedder on Wednesday only out for about three hours but not a bite. Back at the dock I talked to the other boat that was fishing the bay at the same time and they had no fish or strikes either.

First big one for me this season, at first light near O'Brian. Forgot how strong they are - was close to getting spooled. Prob high 20s. Got off as I was trying to shoot a picture beside the boat. Was fun. But then 5 hours of dead sea. Ouch!

Correct me if I am wrong
Is there not a run to be coming sooke way this time off year. I ask as I am off work for a week

Hopefully the fish are biting the next couple of days. Any word on the water guys....depth,bait,spoons or area. Anything would be helpful. :):):)

Went out Friday from 7am till just after noon and fished Muir. Nothing for until about 10:30 then we hit a nice fish at 60ft. While the client played the fish I brought the oter 2 lines in...got the shallower one into the boat then worked on the last deeper one. Got it to the clip, released it and had the flasher about 20 feet behind the boat and a following fish grabs on, rolls near the surface then takes off...double! We landed the first one about a 15 pound clipped. While I was clearing the net the other one gets off. Just before ending the day the same rod set at 60 ft goes off again. This time a 12 pound clipped. With all the gear in the boat and the guys having a ferfy to catch we headed home. Beautiful flat calm morning, enough sun to have some heat and a couple of decent fish for the first trip targeting summer springs...works for me!

Last edited:
Back