2017 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Went out with LIVELINES last night, fished southend of Texada, picked up a 16 lber on the spackle back hoochie at 157 feet. It was slow after that so we went back to Epsom and had nothing until we thought we had a shaker. Popped to clip and set it to bring it in, and it slowly started to peel line. After a slow long run, started to gain on it and got it to the boat. 45 lb Hali. We just started laughing and high fiven. Unreal.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 163
  • untitled1.png
    untitled1.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 176
Went out with LIVELINES last night, fished southend of Texada, picked up a 16 lber on the spackle back hoochie at 157 feet. It was slow after that so we went back to Epsom and had nothing until we thought we had a shaker. Popped to clip and set it to bring it in, and it slowly started to peel line. After a slow long run, started to gain on it and got it to the boat. 45 lb Hali. We just started laughing and high fiven. Unreal.
Wicked

Too sweet boys! Heard of another caught just over a week ago, cool to see them in our neighborhood.

Got out last night to christen our new custom Rainshadow moochers. Hit Epsom point for the first time in a long time. Found a couple small keepers to test out the sensitivity of some quality rods. Cant wait to sink into a big one on them.

Attachments

• 20170501_203756.jpg
    20170501_203756.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 65
Who is the contact for the Garden Bay fishing derby this year? There isn't any info on it. I know it happening this weekend. Is the registration happening at the pub on Friday night?

Who is the contact for the Garden Bay fishing derby this year? There isn't any info on it. I know it happening this weekend. Is the registration happening at the pub on Friday night?
I think Fred Baldwin would be a contact. I'm not entering. Have to get my boat floating again this weekend.

Registration and Calcutta auction on friday evening at the pub. It's on their website's calendar, should be able to call the pub to confirm.

That's how we paid last year, showed up for the auction and paid registration fees before the auction started.

Fished Quarry along the contours Saturday Early afternoon... Maybe had a little bite here or there in the chop but very slow otherwise... Never saw any nets out. Was a nice weekend. Sure looked spotty for the derby though. New to me boat and the gas gauge doesn't work... Didn't want to go too far or attempt anywhere else... lol. There was bait here and there, fair amount of current.

Got 12 prawns yesterday at least:confused: and one of those weird little box crabs in both of my sets...

Last edited:
Out last night at Epsom for the high slack, we had lots of action on a no bananas spoon and anchovies from 115 to 130 ft. We started right at the slack tide and the bite was already on, we had multiple double headers threw a few close sized ones back, lost four and kept our limit of four. Couple 9lbs, a 12 and a 20ish that would have been nice to have last weekend for the derby

Attachments

• IMG_1533.JPG
    IMG_1533.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 93
Gonna head over to grants reef tomorrow but never fished it before. Anyone have any tips or been that was lately? Fish contours on east or west or the shallows early evening etc?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Gonna head over to grants reef tomorrow but never fished it before. Anyone have any tips or been that was lately? Fish contours on east or west or the shallows early evening etc?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
I'm not sure where you are going out from, but thats a long run from our area. Grant reef is a large area, with tons of spots or contours to fish. I usually look for boats at first because they've probably done all the work and found bait. If not hit the contours and follow them and until you find what your looking for.

I'm not sure where you are going out from, but thats a long run from our area. Grant reef is a large area, with tons of spots or contours to fish. I usually look for boats at first because they've probably done all the work and found bait. If not hit the contours and follow them and until you find what your looking for.

Grants is lights out right now, but I'm at home with a 3 month old and a 3yr old so I'm not in the action.

Well, didn't make it all the way over on Saturday due to wind coming up. Fished century and had some success there. Only saw bait twice and hit fish both times we found the bait.

Between Harwood Island, Savory Island, towards the East coast of Van Isle. 45 min run out of Powell River

My dad and uncle limited the last 2 days, all fish between 18 and 27 pounds. Lost one over 30 and good action around tide change. He would never touch a down rigger, had to scrape the bottom of the tank this morning to get enough bait to go, guy hasn't been able to get out because of weather. Let you know how I make out with the down riggers when I get back on Monday. *didnt see a boat fishing for the 2 days he was there

Back