2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Picked this 6-7 lb hatchery in the gap this morning. First trip of the year. Glow flasher and old school green glow cyote spoon.

Attachments

• 20170414_114903_HDR.jpg
    20170414_114903_HDR.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20170414_114903_HDR.jpg
    20170414_114903_HDR.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 66
Waterfront was good to us on good Friday! 2 nice hatcheries, one about 7lbs and one around 10lbs. Skinny Gs right on bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 74
Picked this 6-7 lb hatchery in the gap this morning. First trip of the year. Glow flasher and old school green glow cyote spoon.
thinking of trying the waterfront tomorrow. Oak Bay seemed a little slow for the number of boats that were there. I got lucky.

Wow, pretty pathetic fishing on the bank today. Picture perfect hali tides, no wind, no doggies, but no hali anywhere to be seen. Where are they? Did anyone out there get a hali? And to top it off only these spring rats 3-4# on the bank. Is there no more decent fish in this area? It's the middle of April and we are catching 4#ers? My buddy in Oregon is catching 40# springs in the Columbia right now!

I was out near the bank today on anchor for six hours got one massive skate right away then near noon finally got one in the boat. Seemed slow didn't see anyone else bring one in.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    523.4 KB · Views: 151
Good for you jff! At least a glimmer of hope that a few may still be around. Hate to call another part of our local ocean the dead sea!

Is it a possibility that those orange lumps could also be structure of some sort as opposed to bait balls? Either way there are definitely a few smileys lurking in that pic!

Fished for Hali yesterday to avoid the weekend Derby crowd. I guess others had the same idea. There were quite a few boats out.
Weather was great. Caught 2 Hali and left the water by 11 am.

Reminder to give some space out there!
Had some butt hat anchor right on top of me and hook up their gear on my anchor line.
Luckily their gear was wrapped up close to my anchor chain and not half way up so I was able to pull anchor.
I have puller system not ring system so had their hooks been in my rope higher up it could have caused problems.
Think about where my 400 ft anchor line is, where I'm going to swing and where I have to drive when I pull anchor.
If your 75 yards directly in front of my ball, I have to run right through or beside you to pull. (Apparently this guy saw no problem with it as he asked me how I made out as I pulled my anchor 30 yards to his port side)

Not only is it ignorant and unnecessary to anchor so close but it adds a lot of danger to anchoring.

Sorry for the rant but i don't have a lot of patience for ignorance.

Tips

Fished for Hali yesterday to avoid the weekend Derby crowd. I guess others had the same idea. There were quite a few boats out.
Weather was great. Caught 2 Hali and left the water by 11 am.

Reminder to give some space out there!
Had some butt hat anchor right on top of me and hook up their gear on my anchor line.
Luckily their gear was wrapped up close to my anchor chain and not half way up so I was able to pull anchor.
I have puller system not ring system so had their hooks been in my rope higher up it could have caused problems.
Think about where my 400 ft anchor line is, where I'm going to swing and where I have to drive when I pull anchor.
If your 75 yards directly in front of my ball, I have to run right through or beside you to pull. (Apparently this guy saw no problem with it as he asked me how I made out as I pulled my anchor 30 yards to his port side)

Not only is it ignorant and unnecessary to anchor so close but it adds a lot of danger to anchoring.

Sorry for the rant but i don't have a lot of patience for ignorance.

Tips
We had someone catch our anchor with both of their lines last time we were out as well.

Tips Up, I know where you are coming from. Had the same thing happen to me, just lucky that I have the ring on my anchor line. PLEASE stop getting so close to other people. When you anchor there is going to be an anchor swing, so know it and be respectable to others out there. IF YOU Want that spot get there sooner and other people give space and don't in danger other fisherman. Safety first on the water GUYS.

Back