2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Tunstall today as well , 5 bites for a decent shift of fishing ,one keeper and probably one other keeper bite?? Happy to remove Skunk from days of steelheading .. crabs were not as plentiful as our hot area normally is

About 9 truck/trailers at Vanier while walking the pooch this morning and at 9:30....hopefully some good reports out there as the water looked nice.

At tunstall right now... flat calm but no fish/bites, don't see many nets out either... orcas out here all day, they may have left now...

Was feeling a bit run down after a long week but went out this morning to recharge. Spent a couple hours first thing this morning at Tunstall fishing both low and high in the water column as the top 50 feet was thick with bait in various areas (hard to believe how much there was). Had to leave Tunstall as the smell of skunk on the boat was really bad. Moved to Waterfall and dropped the lines for 20 minutes and there was no bait and the stench was getting even worse so I moved to Grace for an hour plus. The bait situation at Grace was the same as Tunstall ... hard to believe how much bait there was and yet no salmon biting (think we are in for large and very well fed salmon this spring). Had to leave Grace as the smell was absolutely unbearable.

Decided to run back to the harbour around the south end of Bowen and slowed down and puttered along by the whale show between King Edward Bay, Tunstall Bay and Roger Curtis ... was absolutely spectacular and the smell seemed to be disappearing. Got back to the dock and the much better half had walked down to join me for lunch. A whale show and one very cold pint of Fat Tug later and the work week and the skunk were distant memories.

We live in a great place.

P.S. If anyone did well this a.m., I would love to know where and at what depth.

Just got back from grabbing the prawn/crab traps I left out overnight. Second try at prawning and had one trap with nearly 100. Threw back a bunch of undersized and females and still had a good haul. Oddly, crab traps were empty, made me think overnight crab traps don't work?

Ohhhh.... And the new puller.....sheeeeeeiit

Just got back from grabbing the prawn/crab traps I left out overnight. Second try at prawning and had one trap with nearly 100. Threw back a bunch of undersized and females and still had a good haul. Oddly, crab traps were empty, made me think overnight crab traps don't work?

I never bother with overnight crab traps they always get pulled or stolen..... good job on the prawns

I never bother with overnight crab traps they always get pulled or stolen..... good job on the prawns

Interesting, I've never left them out overnight and given my success with crabbing thus far I thought I would've had a trap full. They must figure how to get out overnight ;). I'm convinced prawning requires an overnight soak, or many more hours than crabs at least.

Interesting, I've never left them out overnight and given my success with crabbing thus far I thought I would've had a trap full. They must figure how to get out overnight ;). I'm convinced prawning requires an overnight soak, or many more hours than crabs at least.
4-6 hours and we pull our prawn traps

we always just leave the traps overnight (cruisers who can see the traps so guarantee nobody else touches them) - prawns seem to do better with the longer soak. crabs are a different story - seems to be hit or miss on whether the traps are empty in the morning - I've even purposely left a couple in when checking them in the evening, to find it empty in the morning. One theory is with the longer time they are actually able to lift the gate and walk out.

IMG_0353.JPG We put a spring in the box at grace around 9:00 am at 155ft on rigger. Fish hit within seconds of putting gear down. Only fish of the day. We too could smell the stench so we took off for some refreshments and pulled prawn traps after a short soak and ended up with a 3 man limit off 8 traps so that was nice. What I nice place we live though and it was a beauty day on the water once again.

Not a sniff but did enjoy the orca show. I counted seven in one photo.
I'd love to see the photos!
I've even purposely left a couple in when checking them in the evening, to find it empty in the morning. One theory is with the longer time they are actually able to lift the gate and walk out.
There are youtube vids showing just that-they just keep pawing and sooner or later the odds shift in their favour.

Out at Tunstall today for a couple of hours, nothing but crab to take home this round. Apparently a few others had some luck though.
Similar story for us, fished Tunstall 9-2pm'ish. Released 3-4 unders, lost 2, no keepers, and a good haul of crab. Managed to lose one after the orca's ripped through which gave us some hope but beautiful day out there regardless. Salty Dawg & Irish Cream seemed to be the ticket today.

Side Note: What was with SAR boat shredding through the fleet trolling... out burning the budget I understand but running the slalom through the pack? Little cheesy.

Last edited:
we always just leave the traps overnight (cruisers who can see the traps so guarantee nobody else touches them) - prawns seem to do better with the longer soak. crabs are a different story - seems to be hit or miss on whether the traps are empty in the morning - I've even purposely left a couple in when checking them in the evening, to find it empty in the morning. One theory is with the longer time they are actually able to lift the gate and walk out.
The elastics on my gates seem to be helping. Puts a little spring in their swing.

Suggestion: use better bait...oilier the better...fresh too... and try to find your own prawning spots away from where everyone else is. Howe Sound is being prawned out...still lots of good area where people don't burn the fuel to go. A 3 hour soak is all you need if no one else has prawned the hell out of it.

You guys aren't leaving those traps down overnight in the English Bay are you?

You guys aren't leaving those traps down overnight in the English Bay are you?
I did actually (crab traps), closer to the bell but yes. Is that a no-no that I wasn't aware of? First time I ever had, and don't plan on it again given the lack of success.

I did actually (crab traps), closer to the bell but yes. Is that a no-no that I wasn't aware of? First time I ever had, and don't plan on it again given the lack of success.
zap strap all the doors closed, if its pulled , its harder to take them fast. if there gone you will at least know the midnight bandit was out.
ps: does the boat run any better with all cylinders? lol, wine was good... thxs

Back