2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I leave the boat in gear while fishing alone, learned years ago that stacking during the winter doesn't produce more fish. Typically leave the other rod down and try to get the one rigger up and out of the way. Personally the more time spent with gear on the bottom is time better spent than trying to keep multiple rods fishing. Less stressful and able to spend more attention to my 2 rods, boat speed, bouncing bottom and baitfish on sounder. Typically start stacking rods when the fish become suspended in the water column.
Exactly. As much as I love to fish 4 rods solo for the increased activity both with and without fish biting, 4 rods at this time of year in deeper water with the bottom bouncing rods hooking most of the fish for me only ends in more tangles either when the fish hit on when turning the boat. Staying in gear also helps me to reduce the risk of slack line and hook spitting when the fish quickly comes up from bottom with more line out at this time of year.

Went out Saturday didn't get a sniff first time ever lol and watched some bone head unload my crab out of my traps before I could get over to him and he ****** off!!! got lots of prawns though lol

Thanks for the advice on trolling solo and generally not rod stacking given that its winter spring time of year. I didn't mention it, but I am in an 18 footer, only fish one downrigger. So, sometimes I feel a little under-gunned when those 4,6 and 8 rod setups are nearby. (So much simpler when we just mooched "live -ey's") .....but it's still great out there!

sometimes I feel a little under-gunned when those 4,6 and 8 rod setups are nearby....
Later in the season try running an Apex or favourite spoon 6' behind a Deep Six or Dipsy Diver it has been known to work occasionally.

Was out in the fleet of 11 boats in Tunstall on Saturday hiding from the Lower Howe Sound wind... On my side of the boat the top rod hit a fish as the bottom rod did. If there is bait around, don't discount more rods. If you're in more forgiving area... lots of tightly spaced rods without flashers can be fantastically effective. In winter, plugs and spoons without flashers can be more effective than the usual flashers with lures.

When fish start to suspend... stacked rods and the more rods the better are hard to beat!!!

When fish start to suspend... stacked rods and the more rods the better are hard to beat!!!
sorry FM just had to...lol
IMG_20150509_111441.jpg

IMG_20150509_111441.jpg
No apology warranted... I like it!!! I used to run 6 all the time... and 8 was good too... unfortunately the scarcity of salmon gave me plenty of time to want to put out 8. I fish 6 regularly offshore in my own little sled. In 2010 I think I set a Vancouver record with 12 on a 13 foot beam. Lol. The boat owner was impressed. 20 minutes before the first tangle sockeye fishing.. 24 total flashers including dummies....25 if you include me fixing the tangle... and then putting them back down.

Fished Tunstall today. Got one shaker and one very close to legal that popped off at the side of the boat while we were debating whether or not he was legal. The flood started and the place went quiet. A few other boats arrived and I can't say we watched them, but we eventually got another shaker, and saw another boat do the same.
Thx to Bonchovie for the tips
Mmmm Prawns were delicious at dinner
Good time had by all

Last edited:
Was out in the fleet of 11 boats in Tunstall on Saturday hiding from the Lower Howe Sound wind... On my side of the boat the top rod hit a fish as the bottom rod did. If there is bait around, don't discount more rods. If you're in more forgiving area... lots of tightly spaced rods without flashers can be fantastically effective. In winter, plugs and spoons without flashers can be more effective than the usual flashers with lures.

this has been covered before but I'm wondering how 2017 guys stack. daisy chain on CB,lower rod,spoon,no flasher,short fall back-8-10' rod pointed to stern,15' up hootchie or anchovy with flasher 15-20' fall back rod pointed out ?

this has been covered before but I'm wondering how 2017 guys stack. daisy chain on CB,lower rod,spoon,no flasher,short fall back-8-10' rod pointed to stern,15' up hootchie or anchovy with flasher 15-20' fall back rod pointed out ?

I like alternating flashers and bare lures. I generally do Flasher with short lead off the wire on one side, slight offset depth with a bare lure on the adjacent rigger, back to Flasher and lure on the other side or bare lure followed by Flasher etc. If a fish fails to strike I like them to Check out something else in close proximity before leaving.

A local guide running Cannon downriggers gets quite a few strikes when his downriggers oscillate between depths automatically. It triggers strikes and he covers more of the water column.

Going to head out Saturday morning for the ebb at Tunstall(Fished the flood there on Tuesday for a few hours, only 1 fish on that I farmed, felt decent. Didn't see many nets out but wasn't there in the a.m.) Hopefully see some of you out there! Calling for balmy high of 10! Hopefully wind stays down. ;)

Saw on Instagram that Korsch landed a 29lb this morning and had a 20+ taken by a seal. Some big ones out there...

fished hole in the wall, double header just south of the marina one did not stick and one 1/2" to short. one rigger at 90 feet and one at 200 in 350' of water

then went to Porteau, for a couple quick fish, but did not find any bait

IMG_20150509_111441.jpg

If you have time to fish 6 rods, your probably drinking more beer than catching fish. Joking. It goes without saying, when the fishings good, 1 rod is all.

Out at Tunstall today for a couple of hours, nothing but crab to take home this round. Apparently a few others had some luck though.

Back