2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

The harbour has pockets of legal fish. One boat bonked three legals he said and another friend of his bonked 2 legal across the way.

Howe Sound keeps producing some excellent results for the local pros who get out for fun or with regulars. I know 3 pros who were out earlier this week who put 3, 3, and 2 fish in the box from "legal" to 17 pounds.

Spoons in the basement are standard. Local pros are fishing Tomic plugs and other lures and catching on the bottom too on 3rd and 4th rods fished 10 feet above the flashers and spoons and 60' back.

Last edited:
Should have stayed in the harbour this morning and fished the flood. There is a smell of skunk on the boat this a.m. At Tunstall ... 7 undersized between 18 and 24 inches so far and it just doesn't feel like it is going to change today (for me anyways).

Persistence pays off, good for you. Glad to see you've been having good luck out there this winter. Hopefully, I will start getting out soon when my life becomes a little saner and less hectic later this month.

Persistence pays off, good for you. Glad to see you've been having good luck out there this winter. Hopefully, I will start getting out soon when my life becomes a little saner and less hectic later this month.

Batter and bruised but not beaten. Was a little sloppy out in the sound. Got lots of nice prawns.

Attachments

• IMG_5142.JPG
    IMG_5142.JPG
    660.5 KB · Views: 159
Combination of the best local winter fishing I have seen and doing a complete changeover of electronics in November is making the winter trips to run up the engines and get some fresh air far more productive.

Combination of the best local winter fishing I have seen and doing a complete changeover of electronics in November is making the winter trips to run up the engines and get some fresh air far more productive.
What electronics are you running ? Ducer?

What electronics are you running ? Ducer?
Switched from old Raymarine equipment (old C80 Multifunction display) to a Garmin 7410xsv multifunction with a GT51 transducer which provides chirp for traditional view, down view and side view. It is a bit like I was fishing with my eyes closed with the old Raymarine gear and now have them open with the new Garmin gear.

Switched from old Raymarine equipment (old C80 Multifunction display) to a Garmin 7410xsv multifunction with a GT51 transducer which provides chirp for traditional view, down view and side view. It is a bit like I was fishing with my eyes closed with the old Raymarine gear and now have them open with the new Garmin gear.

Outfitted the boat with the same Garmin last season with new thru hull tech too, cant say enough about that unit, almost like cheating sometimes. Will be out in the sound tomorrow in a friends new 26' custom welded Wolf due to a few minor issues on the express. Looking like we will fish our way up through tunstal - grace. Give us a wave if your out there.

Did a tour of the freighters this am - great day to be on the water, although a little nipply to start. No love for either a skinny green spoon, or a hootchie - did see LOTS of bait on the sounder though. Also saw a 400' deep sea "sneak up" on somebody trawling near QB and a few toots of the horn were heard. Sure seems that situational awareness drops the same time the lines drop for some :-(

Boy - I had a **** show today. Got out late with the kids and wife and we should have stayed home. Motor hadn't been started in a couple of months so took some time getting warmed up (recently changed the spark plugs/wires and new starter). We ended up dropping the prawn traps @ 2:00, after a nightmare rope tangle and losing my rope weight. Rushed to Bowen for a quick bite and rushed back to the traps in order to retrieve them before it was too late. Got the first traps up with nada (and I know it was far too short of a set) and didn't have time to get the second set up, had to leave them in order to make it back to the dock before dark. A few learning lessons today:
1. Don't bother going out if it's after 11am in the winter, it's pointless.
2. Get leaded rope - this **** I have is horrible and made for a nightmare dealing with tangles
3. Get a proper pot puller (the one I bought here on the forum couldn't haul a cotton ball out of the water and I ended up with hand cramps from pulling rope in this cold weather
4. Teach my son the difference between turning hard port vs. hard starboard etc., he apparently still (at 10) doesn't know the difference between left and right on the boat.
5. Work out all the issues before taking the family out on the "virgin prawn trap drop".

Nonetheless we got home safely, and now have an excuse to go back out and retrieve the leftover traps.

Still thankful to y'all for the guidance thus far!

Boy - I had a **** show today. Got out late with the kids and wife and we should have stayed home. Motor hadn't been started in a couple of months so took some time getting warmed up (recently changed the spark plugs/wires and new starter). We ended up dropping the prawn traps @ 2:00, after a nightmare rope tangle and losing my rope weight. Rushed to Bowen for a quick bite and rushed back to the traps in order to retrieve them before it was too late. Got the first traps up with nada (and I know it was far too short of a set) and didn't have time to get the second set up, had to leave them in order to make it back to the dock before dark. A few learning lessons today:
1. Don't bother going out if it's after 11am in the winter, it's pointless.
2. Get leaded rope - this **** I have is horrible and made for a nightmare dealing with tangles
3. Get a proper pot puller (the one I bought here on the forum couldn't haul a cotton ball out of the water and I ended up with hand cramps from pulling rope in this cold weather
4. Teach my son the difference between turning hard port vs. hard starboard etc., he apparently still (at 10) doesn't know the difference between left and right on the boat.
5. Work out all the issues before taking the family out on the "virgin prawn trap drop".

Nonetheless we got home safely, and now have an excuse to go back out and retrieve the leftover traps.

Still thankful to y'all for the guidance thus far!
What size rope you using? Get a ace puller with hands free. Boat show coming up so there will be good deals especially since ace just came out with a bigger motor. Try harbour chandler they usually will have the best deal on them

What size rope you using? Get a ace puller with hands free. Boat show coming up so there will be good deals especially since ace just came out with a bigger motor. Try harbour chandler they usually will have the best deal on them
Yea, agreed re: the Ace Hauler - seems like I just can't shake the "spend all my money on the boat" syndrome.....;)

Yea, agreed re: the Ace Hauler - seems like I just can't shake the "spend all my money on the boat" syndrome.....;)
I just buy the good stuff right away now !!! I tried using cheap **** more then a few times and ends up costing more everytime ... your gonna lose $$$ trying to sell it and end up spending more now to buy good stuff.... that being said the good stuff lasts and usually has a great warranty

I just buy the good stuff right away now !!! I tried using cheap **** more then a few times and ends up costing more everytime ... your gonna lose $$$ trying to sell it and end up spending more now to buy good stuff.... that being said the good stuff lasts and usually has a great warranty

I use the Scotty prawn puller which mounts onto their downrigger mounts. You do still have to guide the line but I believe they are less than the Ace Haulers. Anyhow I've had mine for 2-3 years now and haven't a single issue.

I use the Scotty prawn puller which mounts onto their downrigger mounts. You do still have to guide the line but I believe they are less than the Ace Haulers. Anyhow I've had mine for 2-3 years now and haven't a single issue.
Seems the price difference isn't that great, makes me think the Ace might be a better bet?

Just curious with yourself and others if your pulling single pots or doubling up; with regards to pot pullers and there "pulling strength".

Back