2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

fishin_magician

Here it is folks, the 2017 Thread. Post your area fishing dreams, reports, questions and anecdotes here!

So far after a season to forget the winter fishery this season has been fantastic with some amazing days on the chuck so far. Local guides have been doing very well with the usual gear.

I'm looking forward to changing my fishing strategies this year and fishing different areas and learning new area after I put a fish or few in the box on a given day. It's nice to find a fish or few away from the crowds in tried and true spots.

Tight lines in 2017!!!

Went down to the boat, putted out of the marina and turned around promptly after looking at the weather conditions.
Hopefully the weather cooperates better tomorrow.

I'm pretty new to fishing the Vancouver area and I'm wondering where to get accurate reports for marine weather conditions. Any tips or advice would be great! Thanks!

Was headed over the Lion's Gate around 11 and I could see all you guys spread out all over the place... all 9 of you! Lol.

Was talking to a local charter Captain after and he said he bonked 2 beauties Dec. 31. 1 on the deep water drag off the Pink and 1 in the freighters.

Sounder screen was lighting up at all depths in that area.
Thanks for the reports! You've been doing well out there! Itching to get out there but I'm pretty iced in up here with boat in a narrow driveway. Can't wait for some warmer weather!

Long time fallowing, first time posting. Report/question, went out last Friday fished the usual Howe sound spots and boxed one released an under and lost a screamer. My question is the marks on the fish, both sides of fish had lines that resembles net marks. Seeing how it's winter and not many nets in the water I am wondering if it's was released a month ago by another sport fishing. Been out a couple times in the last few weeks and see people netting fish that aren't even close to legal size. I know it can be hard to judge when they are close to the size limit but would be nice to see a little more effort to keep the fish in the water. Tailed this fish and it was 68cm

Gramps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Long time fallowing, first time posting. Report/question, went out last Friday fished the usual Howe sound spots and boxed one released an under and lost a screamer. My question is the marks on the fish, both sides of fish had lines that resembles net marks. Seeing how it's winter and not many nets in the water I am wondering if it's was released a month ago by another sport fishing. Been out a couple times in the last few weeks and see people netting fish that aren't even close to legal size. I know it can be hard to judge when they are close to the size limit but would be nice to see a little more effort to keep the fish in the water. Tailed this fish and it was 68cm

View attachment 31018
Maybe caught and released with a net that wasn't a catch and release net.

Either way leave the fish in the water it's real easy to pull out a barbless hook ,can't stand it either. Take the glory pics in spring and summer imo
I totally agree with fishin solo. Never remove a fish from the water in freezing temps that is to be released. It can damage the fish's gills if exposed to freezing temps. Best to always release fish in the water, especially when we are in the middle of a winter cold snap.

Heading out tomorrow for our first "virgin" prawning day. 4 traps going down in the South Bowen area. Looks like the weather should be cooperative. Anyone else heading out - look for the beige Arima with a blue soft top (still has Washington #'s) ;). I'll report back....

I'm pretty new to fishing the Vancouver area and I'm wondering where to get accurate reports for marine weather conditions. Any tips or advice would be great! Thanks!

Best for local would be environment Canada. I find their forecasts for Howe Sound can be a bit hit and miss though. The app Predictwind is also very good but their wind forecasts can often be all over the map as they display four weather model outputs.
There are also some webcams you can check to see live conditions.

lost 2 prawn traps off horseshoe bay today seems fishy ......
That is odd. That's where we set. This morning when we set we were only traps and then when we returned this afternoon someone had put down at least 3 or 4. What colour were your buoys? If Orange we saw them further north towards the yellow house with the sailboat ramp. Saw a few down south too. One with red and white and blue buoys another with a bunch of little white ones?
I'll be there in the AM and could check around for you if you like? Are they marked w name and #?

Heading out tomorrow for our first "virgin" prawning day. 4 traps going down in the South Bowen area. Looks like the weather should be cooperative. Anyone else heading out - look for the beige Arima with a blue soft top (still has Washington #'s) ;). I'll report back....

We'll be out there tomorrow. White Whaler "Time Out"... will be with my two young boys. Have fun!

Back