2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out at Constance today, good action for the 4hrs we were there 9:30-1:30, picked up 3 and lost 3. Stopped at Whirl Bay, on the way in where we got our 4th. All in 75-120' of water, bouncing bottom with glow AP Herring and Skinny G spoons, in green/yellow/white with madi flashers'.
Fish table 11Dec2016.jpgFish cooler 11Dec2016.jpg

HUGE THANK YOU ---- SHOUT OUT ---- TO CHEANUH MARINA FOR PICKING UP MY WALLET...MUST HAVE DROPPED OUT OF THE TRUCK FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!!! Didn't notice it was gone, till we were tying/packing up the boat at the end of the day; checked the parking lot, checked the truck, walked in and Jay had it behind the counter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you had a productive day 007. Congrats. Can anyone here tell me where is the best place to launch. We are going to give Constance a try this week if the weather cooperates. I know there is a small ramp off of Dallas Rd (Fishermen's Club?) and there is also a ramp in Esquimalt. I don't know what the parking situation is like at the Dallas Rd ramp. Also what is the cost and form of payment at each. One last question. Does anyone know if prawning is productive off the Vic Waterfront?

Cheers,
Brian

Sounds like you had a productive day 007. Congrats. Can anyone here tell me where is the best place to launch. We are going to give Constance a try this week if the weather cooperates. I know there is a small ramp off of Dallas Rd (Fishermen's Club?) and there is also a ramp in Esquimalt. I don't know what the parking situation is like at the Dallas Rd ramp. Also what is the cost and form of payment at each. One last question. Does anyone know if prawning is productive off the Vic Waterfront?

Cheers,
Brian
Use the launch at Esquimalt anglers! Way better launch and parking, yearly membership is cheap! Way more economical then any other launch. Google Esquimalt Anglers and you'll gat all the info you need.Cheers

Brian, I don't fish Victoria that much (usually Sooke) but go out with friends, so I'll add what I know.

Esquimalt anglers is a good launch and has lots of parking. It's $10.00 per launch, including parking. Here is the link: http://esquimaltanglers.ca/club-memberships/

There is Cattle point in Oakbay and the Dallas rd, but others out of Vic., on this thread will be able give a lot more details.

Prawning, I've wondered as well. Doesn't seem anyone does it and those that try...well this is the only thread I've seen.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...at-albert-head-victoria-bc.56222/#post-711056

Nice work 007. As for launch goes, the esquimalt anglers have a great facility, good ramp and lots of parking, 10$ a launch/50$ for a year membership, and the guys who run the place are top notch in the community. As for the fishing goes, I was out saturday in the Frostbite derby. Was blown off the water at 930 am but we went 3/4 on feeder springs, 4-5lbers, perfect for the bbq, and walkedaway with a 2'6 and a thermos from the draw prizes :)

Be careful prawning off the Victoria waterfront - we tried a few weeks ago and lost 5 traps and floats. It was a very slow tide and we watched our floats for a while before we moved on but when we returned an hour later, all were missing!

FYI the Esquimalt Anglers annual membership rate for operators (launch/parking privileges for the calendar year) will be $60 for the 2017 year. Still ten dollars for a day launch--and other membership rates stay the same. Memberships available now, either by purchasing at the shack most mornings till 930, or by using the envelopes in the door.

Good action out at constance this afternoon :) most were in the 4-5lb range but kept one at 7. Water was pretty rough

Be careful prawning off the Victoria waterfront - we tried a few weeks ago and lost 5 traps and floats. It was a very slow tide and we watched our floats for a while before we moved on but when we returned an hour later, all were missing!

I used to clean up when I would do my early season at West Bay. I went 3 years no problem with a 5lb Bruce anchor and 10 feet of chain between the float and the traps.

The reef pointing due south 1/2 mile NNE of the yellow bouy was good, and 1/2 mile east of the 181 reef south east of Brotchie was dynamite, but you have to be right in the corner of the reef where it turns north. Too far east and I have 8 brand new traps stuck to something mean on the bottom there. But to the west a touch it was great. Lots of big hermit crabs as bycatch by Yellow Bouy and tonnes of Green Urchin in near Brotchie.

Hope this helps. I used to lay the smack down on them every spring before I moved to Oak Bay for the early season. Not hot like the inlet, but a decent 5 gallon bucket from 8 traps every AM. Seemed a lot bigger then the Inlet prawns, the sidestripe shrimp were a nice bonus too. Remember, currents are strong, have a diver float and them a secondary with 20 feet of line, and be prepared to pop the small anchor with your boat if your Brutus starts to grunt.

Last edited:
Picked up a couple of springs (5 and 6 lbs) off of Ogden point area yesterday and lost 5 more to the seals. While we were launching at the ramp a gentleman weighed in a nice 11.5 lbs spring that he had picked up early morning off the breakwater area. Nice to see a few keepers showing up.

Constance yeilded a couple of nice springs this morning, seems there are quite a few feeder springs around. I had three on within the first hour; lost one and kept the next two (both around 6-7lbs). I was fishing around the tankers in about 85' water. Nice day on the water, I was surprised there was so few boats out

Too far east and I have 8 brand new traps stuck to something mean on the bottom there. But to the west a touch it was great.

Remember, currents are strong, have a diver float and them a secondary with 20 feet of line, and be prepared to pop the small anchor with your boat if your Brutus starts to grunt.

Did you rig your anchor break away style or just hope small size would keep it out of trouble?

Happy Holidays Folks,

Given that some will be out winter fishing I am just bumping a link to this diet sampling program thread to a couple of the fishing reports threads. A number of forum members have already expressed some interest. If you are interested in participating, please PM me your email address and I will send some more info. We are interested in participants from anywhere in Southern BC.

Tight lines

Will

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...ational-salmon-diet-monitoring-program.64885/

Anchored out at Constance for Hali today had lines in the water at 7am and fished till 14:00 with zero luck, talked to a few others that said they got nothing and didn't see anyone else catching. Great day on the water though, laid flat for most of the day and very little current

Fished 10 - 1 between macalay and the flag pole. Lots of action! Kept 3 springs to 6lbs, released a bunch of others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back