Cowichan River

A friend called the bc fishery and they said: In essence, that they try to co-ordinate with the feds but, in any event, defer to the DFO when in comes to salmon so there would not be any enforcement actions taken by the province.

Its open Nov. 1st I am not understanding why there is ongoing need to clarify it. DFO regulations are what you go by on salmon its always been like that.

I guess if you actually read the regulations you would see opening day this year is Nov. 15. That is the law as per this moment. A person breaking a fish and wildlife regulation is a poacher in anybodies books.
I'm not going to get into this with you,eroyd. DFO are the ones that hand out the violation tickets and if they say it's open then it's frickin' open.End of story.Getting ready for Tuesday morning.Tying a few extra jigs for those brute chums.
Looks like good average size to them this year.Just hope the monsoons hold off till I can get a least a few good days in.
Haven't wetted a line since my boat got hauled up for repairs last May so I'm frickin' stoked man.See you boys out there!

Keep us posted ff. I think you had a good year last year with the jigs?? Can only live vicariously though the web these days. Just too busy. Lol.

Looks like everyone is getting a piece of the pie this year on the good numbers flowing into the cowichan

1)Area E will fish (see notice below) on Monday October 31, 2016 from 7am to 7pm. For safety reasons, please ensure your vessels, nets and buoys are appropriately lit during darkness and dawn/dusk conditions.

2) Depending on participation, the Area E fishery may be extended to Tuesday November 1.

3) The two vessels fishing for in the Cowichan Tribes demo fishery (Island Spirit and Western Chief) will fish Monday and Tuesday.

4) Area B seine will open Wednesday November 2, 2016 from 7am to 7pm.

Keep us posted ff. I think you had a good year last year with the jigs?? Can only live vicariously though the web these days. Just too busy. Lol.
You bet H-N-S.I'll post any good color combos I come across.White Schlappen over hot pink crosscut rabbit fur was the
hot combo last year.We'll see if it's as productive this year as well.Gonna try some bigger profile marabou jigs for chum this year after a tip from another site.Just hoping the rains calm down soon.We've had enough for a while now I think.

Try dark purple. Fly wise, a big purple rabbit leech/intruder was the only fly the big bucks would actually chase and bite. Smaller hens seemed more likely to hit smaller offerings when dangled in front of their faces.

Dark Purple was the flavor of the day today.Got 1 or 2 on the white/pink jig and after running through several other
colors finally dialed them in on solid dark purple with a purple flash tail.Good call on the dark purple,eroyd!I'll post a picture of it tomorrow as I'm heading to bed now.Tired from battling brute chums all afternoon.Not that that's a bad thing!

Great day today, red was my flavor of the day, countless chums on the red jigs or red wool under a float. Also went 1-2 for coho on trophy tackle spinners. Back out Thursday - Saturday.

She's good and blown out now boys.Not going to bother till it drops to at least 1.5 meters which could be a while since more rain coming tomorrow evening by the sounds of it.Good thing it's still early in the run.

The river's dropped nicely over the last couple of days and the visibility not too bad at 2-3 ft. so I'm gonna hit it tomorrow first thing in the morning.I'll report back good or bad.

i might try the river today. where have you all been fishing? 2 years ago i fished below the gas pipeline and at Sandy pools. (if you know where that is). hopeing to catch one as i didnt catch any coho this year.

Hit the flow on Sat. and today.Saturday was a good one with probably a dozen or more legit biters landed.Today,not so
much.Threw a least 10 different colored jigs at them in a slot we normally do ok in and only had 1 bite all morning.Tried
Colorado blades under a float and even threw on a spoon or two to no avail.There were plenty of fish but no biters.
Tied up some sparser,smaller profile jigs to try tomorrow and see if I can stir something up.Weird day for sure.

I fished friday and saturday. Got the job done this weekend with a nice 10lb coho. Me and my partner combined are 2/9 on landing conformed coho. Plenty of chums from the bridges in Duncan on red or purple woll as well.

Attachments

• 20161105_083314.jpg
    20161105_083314.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 55
Red's working for you brands51?Haven't tried that color for chums,just steel.I'll tie up a couple for the next trip and see how they do.Thanks for the tip.Nice coho too by the way.I've only hooked one this year I can confirm and it threw
the hook 20 ft. in front of me on a jump.My buddy also had one on as well but lost it as well.I find when the river is running
high like it is the coho just fly through the lower section where we fish without staging so the oppertunities seem to
be less.I would normally be twitching big marabou jigs through the pools for them but with the chums so thick this year
it just turns into a snag fest which just isn't my style.Colorado blades rock too but the same thing ends up happening.I'll
just stick to jigs under a float this year,which seems to keep the foul hooking to a minimum.

Back