Chum Derby 2016

Sorry no pics, not really my thing. Way windier today up here. It was hard to fish in the early am as we were getting blown around pretty good. The fishing was slower than yesterday, but they were still biting. Just not red hot fishing like Saturday. The winner was a young woman (sorry don't know her name) with an 18.25 lb Chum.

The weather was not very pleasant, but it was a great time all the same.

Lots of fish and lots of moisture today. Great weekend

Attachments

• 20161015_123857.jpg
    20161015_123857.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 133
Another fun derby this year!
Congratulations to all the winners.
Managed to have a winner on our boat, our daughter Haley won aggregate today!!
Looking forward to next year.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Had another blast at the Chum Derby.
We had some electrical issues resulting from an equipment upgrade.
This lead to a shorter day on Saturday.
The number and size of fish made this our best derby in 8 years!
Weather was sporting and the fishing was hot. I am feeling pretty good for a post derby Monday morning!

I tried out some very different gear on Saturday to see what I could get the Chum to bite on. All of it worked, except one goofy rig I tied. Some of the gear that worked well was stuff you'd probably be surprised by. A magnum radiant 6 inch hoochy in Army Truck with a pink hoochy, and a glow needlefish and mother of pearl twinkle skirt inside it worked actually worked well. It has a massive profile in the water and I thought I'd try it for a lark to see if I could get a big monster chumly. To my surprise it worked fairly well, but no real big chum bit on it. By rights you'd figure it wouldn't catch a Chum because of its size, but it did.

The other different rig that worked very well was putting a Glow Head Micheal Bait hoochy inside an old Oki Crazy 8 hoochie action head with a 6 foot leader. The crazy 8 heads are very old plastic hoochy actionizer heads similar to the jugheads, designed for full size octopus hoochies. The glow head Michael Baits fit snugly inside the head and it gave the smaller hoochies a great wagling action at the slower chum trolling speeds. I'm sure that rig would have probably caught chum fine rigged above a dummy flasher. I ran it behind a purple Oki mini flasher and it worked quite well. Lots more fun playing the Chum on a mini flasher.

It was so fun to be able to experiment with gear on Chum that were eager to bite. Back home in Vancouver the Chum never bite like they did around here. Super well run derby. Big thank you to the organizers and the staff at Browns Bay Marina for hosting a great event.

Another fun derby this year!
Congratulations to all the winners.
Managed to have a winner on our boat, our daughter Haley won aggregate today!!
Looking forward to next year.

Congrats to your daughter Haley on winning the highest aggregate for Sunday. Very nicely done..

Had a great day on the water as well. Crazy good fishing. One issue: I had guests with me today and they are unable to purchase a tidal license because the DFO link is not working. I called Browns's Bay and the attendant told me the same thing, she is unable to sell fishing licenses because the web site is down. So we only had one license for 3 people on the boat today and kept far more than 4 fish. The fish cops were out today checking boats, but did not check mine. What do you do ? We honestly tried to get purchase 2 more licenses but cannot. As I write this, the link is still down...so we'll have the same issue tomorrow. Has anyone else had this delima ???

My guests showed up unexpected on Friday evening, so I could not purchase licenses for them ahead of time. They (nor I) were not entered in the Derby.

Just to close the loop on this, I called the DFO licensing office today (18775357307) to explain the situation and to find out what to do in the future if the website is down again (it is still down today). They are getting lots of calls on this issue. The lady told me that some independent access providers (tackle shops, resorts), may have paper copies of fishing licenses or may have pre-purchased licenses online for times like this when the website is down. As I mentioned above, Browns's Bay Resort did not have any paper licenses but I should have tried the local tackle shops to see if they had any paper licenses. If paper licences are not available, the lady advised me to take people fishing nonetheless and retain salmon, and if the Fisheries officers ask to see licenses, explain to them that website is down and the DFO Licensing office will corroborate that it is out of service. Having the website down does not mean that people can't go fishing - straight from the DFO.

It's not the last time this website is down over a weekend so hopefully that's helpful if anyone else is in the same situation.

To the fisherman that gave me a heads up about the chums stacked in the tide line off Separation Head-- just after 1 PM today-- THANK YOU . I had a couple in the boat and played with several others , but they just didnt want to come home with me. ( the joys of fishing solo, because your fishing buddies have to do other things too ) . Your tip that you had just had a triple header translated into a double header for me. Awesome fishing in amongst the seiners !!!! LOL!

My guests showed up unexpected on Friday evening, so I could not purchase licenses for them ahead of time. They (nor I) were not entered in the Derby.

Just to close the loop on this, I called the DFO licensing office today (18775357307) to explain the situation and to find out what to do in the future if the website is down again (it is still down today). They are getting lots of calls on this issue. The lady told me that some independent access providers (tackle shops, resorts), may have paper copies of fishing licenses or may have pre-purchased licenses online for times like this when the website is down. As I mentioned above, Browns's Bay Resort did not have any paper licenses but I should have tried the local tackle shops to see if they had any paper licenses. If paper licences are not available, the lady advised me to take people fishing nonetheless and retain salmon, and if the Fisheries officers ask to see licenses, explain to them that website is down and the DFO Licensing office will corroborate that it is out of service. Having the website down does not mean that people can't go fishing - straight from the DFO.

It's not the last time this website is down over a weekend so hopefully that's helpful if anyone else is in the same situation.

Good on ya for calling and sharing the ifo.

That's encouraging the DFO had a reasoned and logical solution to the website outage. It's too bad the pitchforks and torches came out after your original question

Teachable moment. Seek to understand first, then form your opinion.

I totally agree. There were still a lot of boats in the derby, even with the terrible weather forecasts. Very few participating in the derby chose to post results on the forum. I'm sure a lot of guys in the derby were forum members, as I did get PM's from some guys during and after the derby. Yet, very few chose to post about the fishing. Look at what happened to GB Paul after he made his post. He got roasted after his post. Then people wonder why there's not as many long time forum members participating as there used to be. Perhaps if you have an issue with a member, you should be sending a PM instead of starting a public roasting to humiliate them on the forum. People are becoming very hesitant to want to post pictures or share information on the forum these days. I think we should all start taking our issues up via pm with other members rather than publicly humiliating other members.

I try to share lots of information, as I try to help other guys who might just be learning how to fish. This forum is the greatest source of fishing information on the coast. Let's all try to keep the information flowing by treating other forum members with a little more respect. I am saddened by how few guys actually wish to share info these days. I would like to see the forum return to the way it was in the past. I think the public roasting s are getting out of hand. Let's all try to encourage other guys to post info, not jump all over them when they do.

Just my opinion, but I think we all need to be a little more tolerant, and less judgemental.

On the ebb in Plumper, do you guys push inside along the wall to fish shallower waters or stay upwards towards Separation Pt on the edge of the couple pinnacles? Going up to put in 3 days on the chuck with the old man and just trying to get a sense of what Plumper is like on the ebb. Cheers.

Dont just stick at Plumper on the ebb. Deepwater on the full ebb can really produce as well. Fish the wall 75-100 ft. And if you know where the little hump is just north of Deepwater, it can be good too. And in my previous post, I got a heads up to try the edge of the tide line 1/2 mile north of Separation Head. It paid off very quickly.

If it happens again, local C. River (and some other B.C.) tackle shops sell paper licences when website is down. Surprised Brown's Bay isn't on the list, they should get on that to help people out as they are fairly remote and saves a 25 minute drive back into town to River Sportsman who is on the list http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/IAP-FAI-eng.pdf

I totally agree. There were still a lot of boats in the derby, even with the terrible weather forecasts. Very few participating in the derby chose to post results on the forum. I'm sure a lot of guys in the derby were forum members, as I did get PM's from some guys during and after the derby. Yet, very few chose to post about the fishing. Look at what happened to GB Paul after he made his post. He got roasted after his post. Then people wonder why there's not as many long time forum members participating as there used to be. Perhaps if you have an issue with a member, you should be sending a PM instead of starting a public roasting to humiliate them on the forum. People are becoming very hesitant to want to post pictures or share information on the forum these days. I think we should all start taking our issues up via pm with other members rather than publicly humiliating other members.

I try to share lots of information, as I try to help other guys who might just be learning how to fish. This forum is the greatest source of fishing information on the coast. Let's all try to keep the information flowing by treating other forum members with a little more respect. I am saddened by how few guys actually wish to share info these days. I would like to see the forum return to the way it was in the past. I think the public roasting s are getting out of hand. Let's all try to encourage other guys to post info, not jump all over them when they do.

Just my opinion, but I think we all need to be a little more tolerant, and less judgemental.

Totally agree with all you say Big Guy.
We did not post anything while at the derby, I will and do share all information openly, I just did not want some keyboard hero telling me I was doing it all wrong.
Ain't got no time for that shiznit.
Same thing has happened on a sailing forum I visit but no longer post to.

Would be cool next year to organize a time and place for a chinwag with forum members at the derby.

Back