2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

FB_IMG_1473468808826.jpg
here is a photo of one of one of the floats being built. The whole renovation of the area is costing the band about 300k. I hear the fees aren't changing but not sure if that will last with that kind of money being spent.

Do we know how long it is and if it will be spanning both sides of the ramp? For $300K its got to be a lot of linear feet.

FB_IMG_1473468808826.jpg
here is a photo of one of one of the floats being built. The whole renovation of the area is costing the band about 300k. I hear the fees aren't changing but not sure if that will last with that kind of money being spent.

Band has been collecting fees for years while the users have to launch at a grossly substandard facility, saying it's going to be upgraded, "Oh next year" and nothing ever done!! Wonder where all that CASH went??

Band has been collecting fees for years while the users have to launch at a grossly substandard facility, saying it's going to be upgraded, "Oh next year" and nothing ever done!! Wonder where all that CASH went??
Where do you think? Pays the money taker and like any private business goes to the owners-end of story-they have no accountability to anyone but themselves and certainly not to us. We can only hope the improvements go ahead and if the fees get too high then I guess we'll have to do what you do when any business charges too much-go elsewhere!

From wht I'm told the floats are going out both sides and they are dregging out the area to widen the narrow channel that was created from all the sediment the river has brought down to allow for larger vessels and putting piles in.

As for the fees I feel they have been fairly priced for alot of years for the beatiful world class fishing that you get and not having to tow your boat down gravel roads ruled by logging trucks. The band have been saving for this project for alot of years but decided to take longer and do it proper and put in a really nice dock instead of doing it half assed. It's going to be awsome next year I'm pretty pumped only 290 more sleeps! Haha

The floats look great and well built. Having them on both sides will help move boats in and out. The main problem is the bottom of the ramp and channel.

We use to be able to launch and get out with no problem on a 1 foot tide. Now the bottom of the ramp is broken and there is a big hole that the trailer falls into. Then the channel has filled in over the years and become a problem getting out on a 2 foot plus tide.

Let's hope that these issues get taken care of this year.

Codfather

Where do you think? Pays the money taker and like any private business goes to the owners-end of story-they have no accountability to anyone but themselves and certainly not to us. We can only hope the improvements go ahead and if the fees get too high then I guess we'll have to do what you do when any business charges too much-go elsewhere!

Always look forward to paying for such a terrible launch and not much choice to go elsewhere unless you wanna drag your unit down a gravel road.
And very few private businesses are cash and allowed to have absolutely no accountability of some sort..

Always look forward to paying for such a terrible launch and not much choice to go elsewhere unless you wanna drag your unit down a gravel road.
And very few private businesses are cash and allowed to have absolutely no accountability of some sort..

Not only a private business but I believe a sovereign nation so-no accountability to us-maybe band members. Let's not go down this road-I was there when it was free and put in by I believe the GR fish and game-probably with help from the mills. So -what are the options-cougar creek over the beach after a very nasty road, Tuta marina after a bit extra nasty road, Moutcha bay has a ramp-again gravel road in and some steep grades which are mostly paved and then Tahsis which is a free pretty good ramp. If you are willing to go to Moutcha bay then the tow to Tahsis from there is the easiest part. Right now I do 6 or 7 trips a year of 2 nights duration which costs me 35 a trip if I park on the road (arguably most expensive in the province). What would it take to make me drive to Tahsis??
The others aren't really an option I would consider! The road is about 60% paved now and has been improved and the steep sections are (90% paved or very upgraded.) I'll still be using it (the ramp} at the present price-I may grumble but the price of changing is greater. What the FN have to realise is that if the price continues to escalate then alternatives may show up such as a new ramp or dryland storage and launch say at Tahsis and you just drive to your boat. Money always finds a way. So lets hope the new ramp works out, The FN saved the money and they didn't have to borrow to build it-because if they borrowed they will be looking for higher prices . I will probably go back to Winter Harbour like I did in 2000-fewer people-ramp and parking is 15 dollars and I stay an extra day-there are always options and every business has to contend somehow with them-these guys are no different!! LOL

Not only a private business but I believe a sovereign nation so-no accountability to us-maybe band members. Let's not go down this road-I was there when it was free and put in by I believe the GR fish and game-probably with help from the mills. So -what are the options-cougar creek over the beach after a very nasty road, Tuta marina after a bit extra nasty road, Moutcha bay has a ramp-again gravel road in and some steep grades which are mostly paved and then Tahsis which is a free pretty good ramp. If you are willing to go to Moutcha bay then the tow to Tahsis from there is the easiest part. Right now I do 6 or 7 trips a year of 2 nights duration which costs me 35 a trip if I park on the road (arguably most expensive in the province). What would it take to make me drive to Tahsis??
The others aren't really an option I would consider! The road is about 60% paved now and has been improved and the steep sections are (90% paved or very upgraded.) I'll still be using it (the ramp} at the present price-I may grumble but the price of changing is greater. What the FN have to realise is that if the price continues to escalate then alternatives may show up such as a new ramp or dryland storage and launch say at Tahsis and you just drive to your boat. Money always finds a way. So lets hope the new ramp works out, The FN saved the money and they didn't have to borrow to build it-because if they borrowed they will be looking for higher prices . I will probably go back to Winter Harbour like I did in 2000-fewer people-ramp and parking is 15 dollars and I stay an extra day-there are always options and every business has to contend somehow with them-these guys are no different!! LOL
Boat launch is free in Tahsis, parking is $2/day and there's free camping at the Leiner rec site campground. Fished the inside of Esperanza yesterday day - 10, 12 and 16 lb northerns plus a legal jack spring - all near centre island. a 19 1/2 lb northern was picked up at centre last week. Lots of fish in the rivers but coho are still coming in and biting on the slack.

On a reporting note-just off the phone-apparently the conoma river hatchery and river are plugged with Springs as is the leiner. They have the brood stock which is good news all the way round. Not so good North Island but guess time will tell!

Great news. Heard a similar story too. Hopefully bodes well for the future!

On a reporting note-just off the phone-apparently the conoma river hatchery and river are plugged with Springs as is the leiner. They have the brood stock which is good news all the way round. Not so good North Island but guess time will tell!

Great news. Heard a similar story too. Hopefully bodes well for the future!

Heard a few weeks ago that the Conuma hatchery had all the Springs they needed.
So what happens to all the remaining fish trying to get back into any hatchery, die off and back into the system?? I guess!!

So what happens to all the remaining fish trying to get back into any hatchery, die off and back into the system?? I guess!!
In the Conuma hatchery and river the rest of the fish spawn naturally only some are used at the hatchery.

I stopped in at conuma hatch on my home Sept 2 with the kids and all working hands were down at the river pulling in Springs and filling the tanks. Grabbing approx.. 200 fish a day and the guys were quit friendly and said there was not going to be a problem getting the amount needed... I also asked how the stock/size compared to previous years and the one guy had said these were the largest he'd seen in the 5 years he had worked there.99% offish caught are returning hatchery apparently. Cool facility there kids liked it !

Perhaps one might say then the fish are over engineered for the volenteers to handle safely.All day I can handle 18lbs but 30 ish lbs comes with more difficulty.

If anybody happens to launch at the Gold River ramp would certainly appreciate pics of the new docks. I cannot wait to see these things in action. Guess I'm going be wondering till July 7, 2017.

From the Mowachaht Muchalaht Facebook Page:

Gold River Boat Ramp Update (Monday, Sept 19, 2016):
The MV Essington Pile Driver vessel has arrived in the Gold River harbour in Nootka Sound. Demolition and new construction will be starting this week and could last up to 4 weeks. Works on dry ground will be the first task as some concrete work is prepared. Next will be the removal and disposal of the old docks. Then installing piles into the water and on the ramp that will secure the new floating docks sections. Then lastly will be the installation of the new docks into position. After meeting with the Captain of the vessel today we confirm that there will be little to no interruption of the ramp for small craft to launch. If there are any delays they will be minimal. We also have an engineer onsite as well as an environmental biologist monitoring all activities, along with our project manager.

Back