Telegraph Cove

I just got here and same thing. A few fish hit the dock yesterday which sounds like a big improvement over the last week. We managed a 12 lb chum first day but luckily im here for 2 weeks so hopefully it gets better.

Fished July 27-30...1 (23lb) white spring, 3 undersized spring...a few crabs and a few prawns. Didn't fish 1.5 days of 4 due to wind. Last day we were leaving a few fish seemed to be taken at Mitchell bay. Maybe some guys did ok, but it was tough fishing out there. That's it for a year...disappointing. I'm looking at booking for next year. If you had a choice would you pick last week of July or first week of August?

Well we have been here for just under a month, except for a few days home for work and a 6 day stay in Winter Harbour. There has been a few days when we would pick up a spring or two but other than that spring fishing has been the slowest I have seen in 26 years. Contrary to Bucketmouth's previous post, I decided to rely on my quarter century experience and I fished when and where I had been successful in the past, and managed to pick up this 36 lb spring, most however where in the low 20's and high teens.

Great fish but who side did it come on, yours or Jans

I tell Tracey the same thing but she doesn't believe me either. We were hoping to spend the summer up there this year but ended up selling our acreage up here and have been busy moving . Next summer and all the rest is the plan. Say hi to Jan and tell her to say Hi to her Mom for me.

Just back from 4 days of fishing out of Alder Bay. This was our first trip up here and we had a great time. I had my wife and 2 boys with me and our goal was to try and get a Hali and a ling. we put in 6-8 hours each day at a few recommended spots but ended up striking out. A couple days it was too knarly on the back side of Malcolm island so we trolled for salmon in some protected bays and managed to troll up a couple coho ( one was 17.5lbs) the talk around the docks at both telegraph cove and alder bay is that salmon and bottom fishing is still slow (most fish cleaning tables were empty and boats with 4 guys after a full day were coming in with 1 or 2 fish if they were lucky).

My wife and sons favorite part of the trip was all the whales, dolphins and stellar sea lions everywhere so we spent an hour or two each day cruising around and checking them out. We also had a exciting/scary moment going to telegraph cove for lunch in the middle of a flood tide in weaton passage where we encountered two kayakers from Michigan caught in the current exhausted (father and son one was 80 and the other was in his late 40's), and scared for there life's. We tried to pull them along side the boat in there kayaks but couldent get enough speed to over come the current and almost dumped the older fellow. After that we decided to pull them both aboard and load there soaked and overloaded camping kayaks on my 20 foot boat and take them back to telegraph cove. Every one made it back safe and they were very thankful. We all had lunch together and a couple beers to celebrate there return to land. ( lesson learned for these two that the ocean is not to be taken lightly).

Just back from 4 days of fishing out of Alder Bay. This was our first trip up here and we had a great time. I had my wife and 2 boys with me and our goal was to try and get a Hali and a ling. we put in 6-8 hours each day at a few recommended spots but ended up striking out. A couple days it was too knarly on the back side of Malcolm island so we trolled for salmon in some protected bays and managed to troll up a couple coho ( one was 17.5lbs) the talk around the docks at both telegraph cove and alder bay is that salmon and bottom fishing is still slow (most fish cleaning tables were empty and boats with 4 guys after a full day were coming in with 1 or 2 fish if they were lucky).

My wife and sons favorite part of the trip was all the whales, dolphins and stellar sea lions everywhere so we spent an hour or two each day cruising around and checking them out. We also had a exciting/scary moment going to telegraph cove for lunch in the middle of a flood tide in weaton passage where we encountered two kayakers from Michigan caught in the current exhausted (father and son one was 80 and the other was in his late 40's), and scared for there life's. We tried to pull them along side the boat in there kayaks but couldent get enough speed to over come the current and almost dumped the older fellow. After that we decided to pull them both aboard and load there soaked and overloaded camping kayaks on my 20 foot boat and take them back to telegraph cove. Every one made it back safe and they were very thankful. We all had lunch together and a couple beers to celebrate there return to land. ( lesson learned for these two that the ocean is not to be taken lightly).

Good on you. I had a scary experience where blackney passage joins Johnstone strait a couple years ago. I got caught in a flood tide and couldn't get boat up on plane. Tried crossing Johnstone quartering into the wave taking green wave after green wave over the bow. Family was with me and we were getting soaked and wet. I decided to pull the pin on crossing Johnstone strait and turned around up Blackney passage and head north behind Hanson island. Just as my nerves were starting to subside, we found ourselves inside a large pod of humpbacks that were fully breaching the water. At least six full breaches, the one being within 100 yards. Not cool. That was one of the nastiest pieces of water I've been stuck in.

got caught in a tide rip trying to take a short cut through pearse islands, it was like going up river rapids very scary cuz you had to run at 75% throttle or else you'd be pushed up on the rocks with a hundred seals. Respect the ocean!!!

Not sure if anyone's fishing up there at this time. I was thinking about doing a day trip up there for some Hali fishing this month. I was wondering if anyone fishes for chum up there in October like around Browns Bay.

Do chum hold in specific areas around Telegraph cove, and do guys target them and have decent success. I know pinks and Sockeye hold around Double Bay, do Chums stack up there as well.
Do guys target chums on the north island or is it just a Browns Bay local fishery. Any info appreciated.

Not sure if anyone's fishing up there at this time. I was thinking about doing a day trip up there for some Hali fishing this month. I was wondering if anyone fishes for chum up there in October like around Browns Bay.

Do chum hold in specific areas around Telegraph cove, and do guys target them and have decent success. I know pinks and Sockeye hold around Double Bay, do Chums stack up there as well.
Do guys target chums on the north island or is it just a Browns Bay local fishery. Any info appreciated.

It was open for chum seining in Area 12 (+13) just last Monday. I don't know which rivers the fish are returning to apart from the Fraser.

http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=188276&ID=all

Also curious if halibut hold in the same areas at this time of year around telegraph cove as earlier in the year. Anyone in that area fishing for Hali in the fall. Not looking for your secret spots, just wondering if Hali are found on the back side of Malcolm and the other usual spots at this time of year.

Also curious if halibut hold in the same areas at this time of year around telegraph cove as earlier in the year. Anyone in that area fishing for Hali in the fall. Not looking for your secret spots, just wondering if Hali are found on the back side of Malcolm and the other usual spots at this time of year.

FN have been long lining the hell out of the Hali in that area pretty hard last, well decade. Now moving their efforts to backside of Malcolm and even right in front of McNeill. Some have escaped the gauntlet of circle hooks. Getting pretty slim around there.

Back