Telegraph Cove

Beacon

Will be arriving June 25th staying on the boadwalk for 1 week any reports on the fish showing up and the prawn situation with the commercial opening.

Thanks

Will be arriving June 25th staying on the boadwalk for 1 week any reports on the fish showing up and the prawn situation with the commercial opening.

Thanks
Just returned from 3.5 days of fishing out of Telegraph Cove. Great weather, but fishing was a little iffy. Mostly trolled the back side of Malcolm. Spent a morning searching for the elusive hali, and a little local jigging now and again for good measure. Lost a few and ended up w/ 3 respectable spring and a small (12 lb) hali. Better than most we saw-but not as good as other years. I'm hoping it's just a slow start, bc I'll be back on June 30 for 4 more days, with a group of less than patient friends-sort of dreading their expectations of fish practically jumping into the boat.

Back from telegraph cove weather good little fog early morning blue skies by noon. 3 springs largest 25 lbs. all over at malcolm. Large balls of bait showing up. Picked up 1 halibut 67 lbs. ( 131 cm ) down at Baronet. Will be back there July 28 - Aug. 2

Thanks for the reports guys. One of my favorite areas to fish. I haven't been up there in a while, but it's still nice to see some reports all the same. Cheers, and good luck when you return there.

Good report, Beacon! Heading up to Alder Bay next Sunday, pretty much for the rest of the summer. Will try to post regular reports!

Good report, Beacon! Heading up to Alder Bay next Sunday, pretty much for the rest of the summer. Will try to post regular reports!

Oh man, I envy you Bruce. I love Alder Bay, probably has my vote for the nicest campsite on the ocean reasonably close to very good fishing. Probably the nicest scenery in the world in that neck of the woods. Lucky you getting to spend the summer there. Man am I jealous. Poet nook would probably get my next vote for great camping location located next to great fishing grounds, but it's a dump compared to Alder Bay. 80 clicks of dirt road to get to the Nook is no bonus either. The only negative to Alder Bay is no fuel, and the moorage is pretty exposed.

Are they selling marine gas at Alert Bay yet, or is Telegraph Cove still the nearest fuel on the water.

Looking forward to reading your reports from this summer. Lucky you.

Not sure about marine gas at Alert Bay, BG, but will post when I find out. I've found filling jerry cans at the Hyde Creek Petrocan and using my jiggler to be the cheapest way to keep the boat gassed up. The fuel at Telegraph is way too expensive for my budget! Should be an interesting summer as the Resort has recently been sold. I gather they've done some work on bolstering the breakwater which should help shelter the marina a bit more.

That's good news about the breakwater. I'm looking forward to your reports. I hear you on the gas situation. Lots of guys seem to do the same thing as you at the marina there with the fuel issues in the area. I hope you have some great fishing there this summer. Best of luck.

Arrived at Alder Bay on Sunday afternoon. Fished Sunday pm, all day Monday and 5 hours this morning. All the usual spots - Malcolm from Donegal to Lizzard, Black Bluff, Bere Point, Flower, Craycroft, the Wall etc. NOTHING! A few bait balls on the sounder, but no fish. Quite a few boats around, but not many nets. A few chum at the cleaning table, but very little else. Hope it gets better soon!

Sorry to hear that Bruce. But at least you've got a great place to be while not catching. You could be stuck in the rat race like me in Vancouver where the fishing is about the same. At least you've got the option of Hali fishing. I've always found the Hali fishing a little more work up there, but there are some nice ones to be had in that area. Most people seem to fish the back side of Malcolm for Hali, but I've mostly found them pretty small in that area.

Wish I was up there, poor fishing or not, it's one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

I'm in the same boat the last couple days Bruce! Fishing out of the Cove and it is definitely the worst I have ever seen it!

First day was great but steady drop since then, no fish coming in from guides or others here!

I'm in the same boat the last couple days Bruce! Fishing out of the Cove and it is definitely the worst I have ever seen it!

First day was great but steady drop since then, no fish coming in from guides or others here!

Yep - another blank for me today! Didn't see anything at the cleaning station. Good thing I'm here for 6 weeks - it's got to pick up.....right???

I'll be there in 2 weeks so I hope things improve...I only have 5 days not 5 weeks!! Has anyone tried prawning or crabbing? 2014 was great for prawning, but we really struggled last year. Thanks!!

Prawning is terrible, and crabbing has been marginal! Have to sit on your traps or some A&$hole will take them!

Fishing is worst I have ever seen, well since 2008!

Let's hope it picks up...I might have to put some time in bottom fishing if salmon fishing is really slow. Although I haven't found a great spot other than off the back side of Malcolm where I usually pick up the odd one. Has anyone tried dropping there rigger down while trolling and run a cut plug herring to get Hali off the backside of Malcolm?

The other thing I was curious about was crabbing at the the mouth of the Nimpkish at low tide with a pair of rubber boots, a stick, and 5 gallon bucket. I thought this might be a fun adventure one day.

Let's hope it picks up...I might have to put some time in bottom fishing if salmon fishing is really slow. Although I haven't found a great spot other than off the back side of Malcolm where I usually pick up the odd one. Has anyone tried dropping there rigger down while trolling and run a cut plug herring to get Hali off the backside of Malcolm?

The other thing I was curious about was crabbing at the the mouth of the Nimpkish at low tide with a pair of rubber boots, a stick, and 5 gallon bucket. I thought this might be a fun adventure one day.
I just

I have just arrived at Telegraph Cove for our annual 6 week stay. Talked to a couple of friends who have been here since the beginning of June. These gentlemen are very good fishermen and know the area very well. They have not caught a salmon in 6 days...nothing. I am not going to light my hair on fire yet but that is not the type of report you want to here when arriving. I hope it picks up

There is definitely good amounts of fish going by there as the Sunds Lodge boats have been doing pretty good.

They are not doing very good either! I have fished by them all week, and one boat in 5 will hook up one spring in a morning! Not stellar by any means, local guides are getting skunked!!

That's been my experience as well. Talked to the guy who runs the sporting goods shop in PM - said it's the worst fishing for this time of the year that he can remember. He's been here for 40 years.

Fished telegraph cove for the first time last Sunday the 10th and Monday the 11th.. We asked a few guys at the government dock at alert bay where we might find springs.. Back-side of Malcolm was what we were told so tried Bere point first, struck out there, moved south to lizard/donegal. Only fished the evening on the Sunday and managed to pick up an 8 pound white spring and a scrappy 18 red. Headed back there Monday morning, tea party from lizard to donegal, slow morning but managed one nice 16.. Decided to try Hali but just lost all our gear on the rocks with the tide rips. Headed back to the tea party and fished hard! We threw it all at them and our efforts paid off.. Anchovy was the ticket, uv purple haze teaser, green and glo flasher. Finished Sunday with a 25 and 26er. Pics are from Monday, too many sociables on Sunday to operate a camera lol. Didn't see any other fish caught either day.. Just a friendly reminder to those who have fished these historically epic fisheries this time of year.. Quit being lazy fishermen... Just because you've always done good on the same gear there the last 15 years on the SAME TACK at the same depth, doesn't mean it'll work this year. When the fishing is good you can throw a sock down there and catch fish, when it slows, guys say "there are just no fish, it's terrible". There are always fish out there and you can get your limits with a solid effort.
a image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Back