2016 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Just back from my annual mid-June week of fishing to Ukee and it was the toughest fishing I can remember. Much like Ucluelet Charters posted above, lots of bait at most locations inshore and offshore and all our fish were stuffed with tiny herring, with the odd large herring and krill. Didn't clean a single fish with sand lance in it, though at many spots the sounder showed the tell tale band of bait in the bottom 10-20 ft. Having said that, didn't get anything on needlefish hoochies or Andrew P spoons all week.

Early in the week Wya/Flo Bay was holding no bait and fishing was slow. Lighthouse and South banks had a bit of bait and gave up a few nice fish if you ground it out. Meares/Austin/Cree area was loaded with bait but also infested with undersize feeders. Fished there two days and waded through a lot of undersize chinook and coho for every good fish. Relocated lots to try to get away from them.

Later in the week Wya was stuffed with bait, not sure I've ever seen so much bait in an area, you literally had to fish around the whales because they were in tight gorging. Also had an Orca show there mid-day Friday with the big bull orca breaching -doesn't get much better than that. Still with all the bait the fishing was a grind! frustrating to say the least. I'm starting to think the fish were keyed in on the tiny 1/2" herring they were all stuffed with and all our presentations were too big to be a good match. Smallest spoons we ran were 3", way bigger than the natural bait. Spoons seriously out fished hoochies where the tiny herring bait balls were thick. Great to see al the bait, even if the fishing was a grind.

Last fishing day was Friday and the radio was alive with hot action from Long Beach, guides were slaying them up there. Would have pulled the pin and run up but had to be in the harbour by noon so stuck it out at Wya and enjoyed the whale show.

In summary, lots of bait near Ukee harbour: Beg/Chrow/Food Islets but no love for us. Great Bear and Alley also holding some bait and fish could be ground out. Southside of Broken Group: Gibraltar and Meares/Cree holding bait and lots of undersize as well as nice fish. Wya/Flo Bay no bait early in week but loaded with insane amounts later and fish could be ground out. As fish move down from Long Beach could get very good this week. Closer banks - Lighthouse, Adipose, turtles head, inside South etc holding bait at times and fish could be ground out. Fish were very nice size, low teens to 20 for us and a few coho around, though either very small or topping out at 3-4 lbs. Also saw a few tyee class fish brought in, so good fish are out there already

Weather was gorgeous all week but the sun and afternoon warmth made for convective onshore wind that made it sloppy out there most mornings - good size wind chop at short period coming from the SE most days mixing with NW swells that were 1.5-2 m and only 8-10 seconds apart. Made it very sporty first half of the week depending on where you were. Later in the week the swell lessened and period increased to 16+ seconds making for beautiful seas under blue skies.

Can't wait to get back!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Last edited:
Fantastic report best one I've seen in a long time Ukee two thumbs up. You hit all the nails on the head patience and perseverance does prevail :D

I will be heading up on Monday for 4 days and I hope to find the fish will post reports as and when possible... Was thinking to head out to the banks but sounding like it hasn't really kicked off out there just yet let's see what next week has in store. Great reports guys..

Heading up July 31 - August 6th this year cant wait. Keep these reports coming great to hear them in anticipation. Also, will be my first trip to Nootka this year taking a group of youngsters up August 16 - 21 camping at Moocha Bay with the boys.

Nice report Ukee !!! Thx Made my week heading up this sat. Timing may be perfect I hope. I heard a 35 lb spring was caught off our point at Salmon Beach & a 28 lb at WYA Last weekend from our locals. They are moving in.
Tips UP
Good fishing out there.

Heading up on Wednesday. Fishing with second shifter! His report from this past weekend goes like this..............

Fishing was good, 4 coho, 11 kings (biggest 17 pounds) and two small hali’s for the trip. There were several wild coho we had to release. Unfortunately only Joe and myself made it out on Saturday (fished Big Bank which was the best day of the trip) 4 kings in an hour and 20 minutes…… Rick and Fred were a little under the weather on Saturday they stayed at the cabin.

Well started fishing on Tuesday at long Beach area seen the whole fleet but action was very slow... We threw everything at them and didn't even get one hit was actually the slowest I seen in 5 years fishing here. So Wednesday we decide to take a beating on the rough weather and head to the big bank... Done a little better with 2 Hali and only 1 small Chinook but again we trued everything bait, turds, spoons of all sizes and colours nothing seem to work.. We did hook up a few other times but didn't get them up and we fished 200ft so we new we would troll up a Hali so maybe the springs are a little shallower... Anyways was a great camping trip but the fishing I must say for this time of the year was slow... Let's see if it gets better in the coming weeks...

Oh dear. I'm still planning to be there late Tuesday until Saturday or so with a possible trip back to PA thrown in. I just gave a few packages of salmon from last summer away to some co-workers today. Might have to ask for it back.

FYI - Seems to be quite a few coho hanging around along the coastline and offshore with some nice sized Chinooks in the mix.

Today's catch pics----> http://www.uclueletcharters.com/west-coast-fishing-reports

Most recent catch pics at top of reports page. Definitely looking forward to July :) I add catch photos daily so feel free to check each day to see how fishing is. Our second boat still has some availability in July so if your looking to fish shoot us an email or give us a ring. Offering great deals on full day trips for remaining July dates.

View second boat here---> http://www.uclueletcharters.com/the-boat.html operated by Captain Dave a local guy carrying a Masters Ticket, he's a great fisherman and a friendly outgoing operator.

Canada Day long weekend was not as planned. We were prepared to head out for some Albacore this past weekend but the weather man poo poo'ed on our parade.
We got the rig all ready and towed her out West for the season. Lot's of work and prep and she's ready to go at a moments notice. The weather actually lifted a whole lot of stress off of us and we decided to kind of take it easy for the weekend.

The crew consisted of myself, my son, and his best friend Mitch. Well we didn't exactly hit the hay early on Thursday evening.

The boyz at 2 am Friday morn :rolleyes:....

We were a little foggy in the morning and got some chores done around the lot before heading out late. The seas were soupy at best and we decided to head back inside to fish. On the way back in we decided to check out some contours we have never fished before and it payed off nicely. We hit some of the nicest ling fishing we have seen for quite a while.

Mitch with his first ling on.

He's a really fast learner and becoming quite a fisherman in his own right. Nothing huge, but really nice eaters. 5 to 10 cm over legal for most of them.

Jake with one of course (he's dialed in on any fishery he tries:cool:).

We might as well fill the tuna tote with something lol. Nice afternoon haul.

We fished Swale on Saturday morn and picked up one small 8 lb. spring and released a few shakers. There was lot's of life on the sounder just no love.

We headed out to Big Bank for the afternoon and we missed the Friday action out there (heard it was good on Friday morn). We dragged bottom for quite a while with no love on chickens and only caught a few small springs that were released. The good news was we caught our limit of coho fishing shallow after seeing them jumping all around us. The best part of this situation was that they were 2 to 1 hatch jobs!!! That is a first for us out there. It was easy fishing.

We have heard from a lot of folks that it is hit and miss. The fish are moving fast. You have to be in the right spot at the right time. That's fishing and we get it. The strange part is all the bait around in different places. One would think the fish would stick around for longer.

Heading up next weekend to give it another go. We have the camp set up and the boat is ready. Going to be a wee bit more serious about it ;):cool:.

Side note: We hit Ukee on the way home on Sunday and played tourists. We checked out the docks and came across the "Cap'n Hook " shop near the boat basin. Great little coffee shop and tackle store (first time I've come across this combination). The business model really works for this location. Great coffee and the variety of tackle is unreal!!! Anyway, check it out if your in Ukee.

Last edited:
Little bit of a late report we were on the water JUNE 6-8th with the family. This was our first time with the new to us boat out on the ocean and first time to Ukee. Sunday afternoon we launched the boat drove around marina and got out on the bay and the engine alarm starts going off. Had been working fine on Kalamalka lake a week earlier. Did what I could to look up online what could be wrong. Burped oil res. Then noted no water outflow for cooling... overheating. Got it onto the trailer with the kicker and figured my trip would be cut short trying to find an impeller and taking apart the lower leg. Turns out with the help of a fly fisherman from Florida that the outflow was plugged with some dirt and weeds from loading the boat on the trailer at the lake. Anyways quick fix and I was happy to get out on the water Monday.

Day one very windy so tried fishing near ucluelet but only caught some ling and rockfish and only saw one salmon caught.

Day two talked to some guys who said troll the light house to wya point so we did. Caught my first chinook and some lings and rockfish. Beautiful sunshine but it sure was windy and rough.

Day three even though still very rough could not resist trying south bank. It was our short day cause we had to catch the ferry so fished about 1030 till 1500 and caught 4 chinook and lost another. Was a great day for us beginners. Poor kids and wife were sick and sleeping all most of the day drugged on the Gravol. I was loving it though!

Tough fishing for everyone that week but we will be back for sure as we loved the town.

Ate one evening At Norwoods Restaurant and it was excellent... pricey but excellent!

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Got here at midnight, got organized and launched by 6:00. Fished between the yellow can and Outside Lighthouse. Took a while to find a depth with no intel. Only got 2 bites. Landed a 28lb white (80ft) on medium herring in a RD Super Herring head and no flasher. I lost one a bit smaller (same setup) in a solo cluster which include snagging the only 30 foot log in the ocean with the opposite side downrigger, backing up till water came over the transom, playing over and under with the fish on the opposite wire, clearing it only to lose it when the other side flasher slid down to the fish. Tricky to get both sides up when alone.
So a good day, but not very busy. I heard good reports about Big Bank, and rumours of a 40+ from closer in. Island West Marina is 1/4 full, but the campground is loaded with surfers and Euros. Tomorrow.
add on-Thursday and Friday the wind and rain wore me out so nothing much to report personally except, according to others, South Bank and Big Bank are fishing pretty well, like they should for early July. Red can to Florencia is not as good as other years at this time of the season. Also, there are only guide boats and a few private boats in Ukee because the other 10,000 or so are fishing for, but not catching many, sockeyes in Alberni. Sounder shows lots. Tomorrow!!!

Last edited:
Well the last few days have been fall/winter type weather which kept the boats down around Swale. Swale is loaded with shakers and the odd keeper in the mix, the good days when we are able to get offshore the numbers are certainly better plus were boating some Halibut as well. Fishing Chinook and Coho while trolling on the bottom or mid water has been producing. It's not as hot as last year so far but the good news is with the rains we recently got the water has started to go brown. For those of you that aren't familiar with water color brown water is a great thing out here ( Smiley Water ) usually the Chinook fishing gets hot as does the Coho fishing plus the big Chinook love the brown water usually somewhere mid level. If the winds stay down and were able to get offshore I think things are going to heat up.

For recent catches click on web address ----> http://www.uclueletcharters.com/west-coast-fishing-reports

If your looking to get out on the water contact us by email or phone, our second boat has a few days left in July and August has some openings as well. We offer a rate match guarantee but to be honest I don't think your going to find better rates :)

Last edited:
Back