2016 Sooke Reports

There is fish to be found 2 days ago released one over and 2 lil piddlers so ill call it a skunk day as couldnt keep any, today was better landed 4 between 12 and 19 lbs which was 82 cms and ill be honest its a ***** to try and even measure a damn fish like this most stupid thing ive ever seen ..... ill post pics later normal depths

Good luck Wolf

image.png image.png Good start to the day, wind was up a bit when we left sooke marina at 6am, a little choppy and a bit of wind living the spit. Headed to the trap. Seen a few small fish being caught early around 7:30-8:00 right around the tide change. We didn't get a hit until 10:00, first one we got sealed, made another couple passes, hooked into a 83cm, or 19.8lb spring. A wee bit later hooked into a nice size, over the limit for sure probably close to 30lb, because it's a fishing story realistically 25-27lbs. A few more hits, packed up and headed back to the dock at 1:30. Our bite lasted from 10:00-11:30ish. Green glow was the answer today.

View attachment 28362 View attachment 28363 Good start to the day, wind was up a bit when we left sooke marina at 6am, a little choppy and a bit of wind living the spit. Headed to the trap. Seen a few small fish being caught early around 7:30-8:00 right around the tide change. We didn't get a hit until 10:00, first one we got sealed, made another couple passes, hooked into a 83cm, or 19.8lb spring. A wee bit later hooked into a nice size, over the limit for sure probably close to 30lb, because it's a fishing story realistically 25-27lbs. A few more hits, packed up and headed back to the dock at 1:30. Our bite lasted from 10:00-11:30ish. Green glow was the answer today.
looks to be about 29# :)

View attachment 28362 View attachment 28363 Good start to the day, wind was up a bit when we left sooke marina at 6am, a little choppy and a bit of wind living the spit. Headed to the trap. Seen a few small fish being caught early around 7:30-8:00 right around the tide change. We didn't get a hit until 10:00, first one we got sealed, made another couple passes, hooked into a 83cm, or 19.8lb spring. A wee bit later hooked into a nice size, over the limit for sure probably close to 30lb, because it's a fishing story realistically 25-27lbs. A few more hits, packed up and headed back to the dock at 1:30. Our bite lasted from 10:00-11:30ish. Green glow was the answer today.

Nice release....much better than netting and posing for photo's before sending the Spring back into the water!
Hopefully some others will learn.

YES please take a picture of it in the net and then let it go there isnt a need to grab it and "pose" with it fish have a slime on them for a reason, its a protective coating at least give it a fighting chance and less handling in my opinion is best...here are the fish from yesterday seems everywhere they are hitting them heard trap has been consistently good ,secretary its been a little slow up top good days then bad , but yesterday was the most boats ive seen all season long so far , And it will continue to get better be patient guys good luck Wolf
59455.png

Last edited:
Put it in the net so you give it a primer on its final resting place on the fraser LOL- conserve salmon on the south so they can be sold for FN food supply f-'ing joke - nice fish also !!

Picked up a 6 lb spring hatchery this morning off Secretary about 930am. For a small one it was pretty fiesty, ran the line out fast. White hootchie 80 ft. Shorty after got a strike on anchovie at 100 ft but lost it at the boat. :(. Wind picked up about 1030, got a bit bouncy so headed back to port. BBQ salmon at the cottage tonight!

Looking at Roy's picture of his nice catch and I can't help but notice that they all looked like unmarked Springs.
This has also been the case for us recently.
Where are all the Hatchery Springs we were catching in past years at this time?

Looking at Roy's picture of his nice catch and I can't help but notice that they all looked like unmarked Springs.

There is no proof they are wild without doing DNA testing anyway. Have a look at this from Columbia River pg 26 in summary. There not 100% marked so we get a mix in the straight of US fish going by. Usually I find July we get way less.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/OHR...d Wild Fish in the Columbia River Estuary.pdf

Just spent 2 1/2 days trolling around Sooke looking for Spring..... have to say to sure seemed slow.... Guides were pretty happy coming in with one fish. The regs out there right now have people up in arms for sure....
That being said..... we nailed a 28 point hatchery chinook this AM...... thats it for 2.5 days. Let a couple smaller springs go right off the hop... thinking we would see some better stuff.

My guess would be Washington state hatcheries were not putting out the volume 4 years ago.

Looks like the volume has been steady for the last 10 years at approximately 140 million salmon/steelhead. Roughly less than half of that amount is chinook I think.

t_number_salmon_steelhead.jpg

website link: http://wdfw.wa.gov/hatcheries/overview.html

They have invested in marking machines so they can clip and tag about 50 million chinook. Why can't DFO do something like this here?

Mass-Marked Salmon Released by WDFW Hatcheries
Wash. marked chinook.PNG

Last edited:
Well 2 were anyways ..

as for today it was really slow in am then when tide slowed on edd got into a few and 6 HATCH coho and released a few others wound up with 2 springs 20 and a 14 lber both were whites????? very strange for here?? the 20 was 84 cms as I really thought it was too big as it was FAT....
And can tell you in the springs and coho guts were about 4 inch needle fish usual depths again..

Good luck Wolf

Nice to see that fish released in the water instead of the losers who have to get a hero shot. If your gonna bring it on the boat in the net, just whack it it's dead anyway. Multimedia goofs...

Nice to see that fish released in the water instead of the losers who have to get a hero shot. If your gonna bring it on the boat in the net, just whack it it's dead anyway. Multimedia goofs...

Nice fish, and good job on the release. I tend to agree with you whitebuck, there is no excuse to take a fish out of the water that is going to be released. No picture is worth killing the fish for. That is just a total waste of the resource, and is inexcusable in my opinion. I think our regulations are totally out to lunch in this regard. What is the point in making anglers release fish because of size or species, only to have the fish die from handling practices. Washington state regulations require any fish to be released to not be removed from the water. It's time we got out of the dark ages and enforced proper fish handling practices in Canada. If you think you might not keep any fish, do not take it out of the water for a measurement, picture, or to unhook it. Cut your leader if you must, but do not remove the fish from the water. It's time we started treating our precious fish resources with the respect they deserve.

Back