2016 Sooke Reports

Well Sam7 dont know what you were looking at as i saw a few boats on with fish at muir and otter and I managed 2 a 18 and a 19 and let a couple of smaller ones go, thing is your not going to see alot of post because ive been watching and when you only see about 15 boats from secretary to sheringham your not gong to get good data no one is really fishing in the last 2 weeks there has been a few times im the only boat fishing. last weekend with the derby i had otter gordons and muir basically all to my self. DFO has killed the amount of user activity out on the water its basically a ghost town !!!!!! trust me WE ARE NOT THE PROBLEM .... nets across the river are taking more than what 12 to 20 boats in a day EVER will .
there are fish there trust me and its only getting better
58974.png
Fing FN bullS$#*, nice catch Wolf

Nice day just off Secretary.....got her on anchovy at 85 ft. One quick picture and then let her go. Way to BIG, but a very nice fight. Just hope she gets by all those nets.20160626_093920.jpg 8316[/ATTACH]

Well Sam7 dont know what you were looking at as i saw a few boats on with fish at muir and otter and I managed 2 a 18 and a 19 and let a couple of smaller ones go, thing is your not going to see alot of post because ive been watching and when you only see about 15 boats from secretary to sheringham your not gong to get good data no one is really fishing in the last 2 weeks there has been a few times im the only boat fishing. last weekend with the derby i had otter gordons and muir basically all to my self. DFO has killed the amount of user activity out on the water its basically a ghost town !!!!!! trust me WE ARE NOT THE PROBLEM .... nets across the river are taking more than what 12 to 20 boats in a day EVER will .
there are fish there trust me and its only getting better
58974.png
Nice fish

OH and forgot to mention the wild ride we had yesterday ... so I notice out front of sooke harbor a lone Humpback whale I get a hold my whale watching friends to tell them where he/she is I see they have found it and are doing their thing so im not to worried about it,
So im trolling in about 80 ft of water and my clients say HEY LOOK that whales in front of us!!! .. we are like wow thats really cool as they said then went whale watching in the USA and never saw any so this is a bonus for them.

So he/she is id say about 400 yds in front and off to my side no Biggy i figure.... well it dives ........ so we wait and wait all of a sudden its RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY BOAT !!!!!!!!!!!! before i could even say SSSSSSHHHIIITTTTT.... it goes under my boat and its got me!!!!!! all 3 riggers are peeling line and all 3 rods I pop kicker out of gear , grab one rod pop it off rigger by now i tell you ***** happening at a very fast pace . I must say in almost 30 years of guiding on the water ive NEVER seen this before and ill be the first to admit WTF should i be doing?????? SNAP SNAP to rods of the lines break and all the weights coming flying back to me so no lose there. so if you see a Andrew P spoon and a white flasher on one ear and a green flasher with a teaser head on the other ear kindy ask him or her to return my stuff........LOL........
So now I can honestly say "IVE GOT A WHALE"

And please dont tell the FNs as im sure they will want me to toss that back as well ............

Good luck Wolf

Holy Crap Wolf Man!! I hope you immediately grabbed your handy dandy guides book and proceeded to follow the detailed instructions on how to deal with Whale Strikes!! LOL Should have got a great tip for all the added excitement!!

OH and forgot to mention the wild ride we had yesterday ... so I notice out front of sooke harbor a lone Humpback whale I get a hold my whale watching friends to tell them where he/she is I see they have found it and are doing their thing so im not to worried about it,
So im trolling in about 80 ft of water and my clients say HEY LOOK that whales in front of us!!! .. we are like wow thats really cool as they said then went whale watching in the USA and never saw any so this is a bonus for them.

So he/she is id say about 400 yds in front and off to my side no Biggy i figure.... well it dives ........ so we wait and wait all of a sudden its RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY BOAT !!!!!!!!!!!! before i could even say SSSSSSHHHIIITTTTT.... it goes under my boat and its got me!!!!!! all 3 riggers are peeling line and all 3 rods I pop kicker out of gear , grab one rod pop it off rigger by now i tell you ***** happening at a very fast pace . I must say in almost 30 years of guiding on the water ive NEVER seen this before and ill be the first to admit WTF should i be doing?????? SNAP SNAP to rods of the lines break and all the weights coming flying back to me so no lose there. so if you see a Andrew P spoon and a white flasher on one ear and a green flasher with a teaser head on the other ear kindy ask him or her to return my stuff........LOL........
So now I can honestly say "IVE GOT A WHALE"

And please dont tell the FNs as im sure they will want me to toss that back as well ............

Good luck Wolf
I'm Jealous of your job Wolf! Aint saying it's easy by any means! But what a story for the grandkids! And thanks for letting us know what gear your runnuin!

I had a porpoise do the same thing off the Island one afternoon. A pod of them were buzzing the boat for about 10 minutes and wouldn't leave. I was looking towards shore and my customer says what is going on over here? I turn and see the rigger is spooling off with the brake fully engaged and the line angle is facing forward and away from me and the angle is coming up towards the surface...it was down 60 feet when this started and in about 6 seconds the counter hit 150 then the weight must have come up and smacked him from below and the downrigger line snapped. I'm thinking he must have got the line in his mouth and panicked....the entire pod were gone never to be seen again. I've never seen a spool peel out so fast...impressive when you think that the brake was on too.

there is a big difference when fishing around whales depending on the TYPE of whale. Killer Whales will rarely get tangled with lines. Porpoises WILL hit lures though and there is not too much you can do about it. They are both emitting the most advanced sonar know to man. Humpbacks and other baleen feeders do not emit echo location or sonar and when they surface they are essentially coming up blind , and can get tangled very easily with riggers and lines. Give them lots of room.

beemer

Last edited:
Beemer is right on. Humpbacks do not have sonar, so Wolf's incredible event is due to their relative "blindness" to obstructions. I bet Profisher's event was for the opposite reason. The porpoise knew the cable and lure was there via sonar but grabbed either or both of them out of curiosity. Porpoises are very intelligent, like dolphins.

Out early from sooke today. Few small at Otter with one kept for dinner. Tried Secratary later and bait everywhere but no fish. We didn't notice it on the way out but wow that water on the way in was creepy as hell. Kelp looked like mines out there they stood out from the turquoise so much.

http://www.dolphincommunicationproj...oids/item/94362-do-humpback-whales-echolocate

Well i figured all whales ping objects so heres proof

And maybe it was a dumb whale , and after 1000s and 1000s of trips was kinda cool to witness. maybe ill ask the next whale I encounter if he knows im there ok......

Interesting article Roy but I'm not buying it! Wasn't criticizing you or your actions. I have seen you out there and you are probably one of the most respectful guys towards the whales and nature.
I am sure you have seen it though when a humpback shows up near guys fishing they troll over to have a whale show. Its only a matter of time that something is going to happen. (sunk boat , agitated humpback breaching onto a boat , whale entangled etc)

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...ng-humpback-whale-collides-with-boat-1.191360

beemer

Speaking of whales, was fortunate enough to catch a breaching show from a humpback this past weekend in Renfrew. He breached fully out of the water several times, and by the time i got my camera out he was half-spent. probably 8 or 10 breaches in all and then he slapped his fin on the surface back and forth another 8-10 times. Pretty surreal stuff! Heres the best pic I managed to get - got some video too which I may post if anyone cares.

20160625_094532.jpg

Out Thursday trolled from Aldridge to the trap shack managed 1 fish 65 cm and 1 shaker pretty slow day didn't see a lot of other nets in the water

Was out this morning (Friday 06:00- 0930) and didn't see many fish caught.
We got one, but it was so small (legal but small) we let it go for some good karma later in the season.
Right at Aldridge at 55' on the rigger. Andrew P spoon with green and moon jelly tape.

Back