2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many of us use Big Wave Dave and many have contributed to keep it going.

It’s time to get on board with support again, or for the first time.

His costs continue to go up!

I am sending in $50..I am not a friend of his and have never met him.

Send cheques to:
$10, $20, $50 or $100 donations are very helpful!

Dave Billenness
745 Ardmore Drive
North Saanich, BC
V8L 5G2

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/donate.php

Sorry to be off subject…how about posting your contribution.

Maybe start a new thread for this.
Would be good if you could donate on online, but that probably costs money to set up.
I use the site weekly. I'll give a donation.
I would even pay an annual subscription if that was set up.
Or buy an App if he had one.

Another great day for Halibut today. Relatives treated me to a charter on Seaghost with Gord out of Pedder Bay. He
Made it look easy. 36, 41, and 55 then seven keeper crabs to share for the 4 of us. Great weather, a good host with a comfortable boat and halibut too.

Fished constance. Caught a low teens on a squirt during the peak ebb. nothing else. one herring its belly. caught it on a mini squirt. moved to oak bay after it started to flood but the tide was ripping. out again tomorrow.

JL

Fished constance. Caught a low teens on a squirt during the peak ebb. nothing else. one herring its belly. caught it on a mini squirt. moved to oak bay after it started to flood but the tide was ripping. out again tomorrow.

JL
Fished Constance about 5 hours this morn not a sniff

Fished OBF 7-10. caught two and lost them both. both mature fish. the first was being reeled in from a first time samon fisher. he fought it really well. got a good look and up close it was hatchery for sure. my est was a 18-20 lb class. (caught a thirteen on scale the day before which was a "football" type, this fish was much much longer in case my estimation is in question;-)) just trying to drag the tired fish into net and she was given slack right at the same time as a head shake. bye bye. the second fish was lost due to be given slack. it also took some huge runs but shook the hook. did not get a look. both fish on tiny strip

moved to constance for a couple more hours. caught two. one hatch one wild. both around that 65-70 cm range. wild went back. both fish on an anchovie type spoon.

all fish caught on the ebb. no hits on the flood. dummy flashers.

out again tomorrow early.

JL

Some new regs released today for area 19. Doesn't look like anything changed for us.

Chinook

• Map: 2016 chinook openings for Areas 18, 19, and Subareas 20-5, 29-4 & 29-5 Cowichan to Victoria
  • The annual limit for chinook caught north of Cadboro Point is 15. The minimum size limit is 62 cm.
  • The annual limit for chinook caught south of Cadboro Point is 20. Opening dates for this area will be posted here.
  • June 18 - July 15, 2016: daily limit of of 2 chinook, between 62 and 85 cm in:
    • Subareas 18-1 to 18-6, 18-9 and 18-11;
    • Subarea 19-5;
    • and that portion of Subareas 29-4 and 29-5 that lies south of a line from a point on the east side of Valdes Island located at 49 deg 05.562 min N, 123 deg 39.989 min W then extending 57 degrees True for 5 nautical miles to a point at 49 deg 08.316 min N, 123 deg 33.669 min W.
    FN0536 2016-06-17

• Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subareas 20-4 and 20-5:
    • June 18 - July 15, 2016: daily limit of 2 chinook:
      • either wild or hatchery-marked if between 45 and 85 cm;
        or
      • hatchery marked if greater than 85 cm.

The new slot allows you to keep an 85cm wild (34")
until July 15.
fished 3 hours on the flats, one bite that didn't stick

If I understand this correctly, it means theres a slot size for Sidney now instead of just a minimum size. Previously it was 62cm+ for wild or hatchery.

Last edited:
Guess I should have used tape instead of cutting that metre stick in half...

If I understand this correctly, it means theres a slot size for Sidney now instead of just a minimum size. Previously it was 62cm+ for wild or hatchery.
That's my understating too. Also, slot extends past sheringham to sombrio.

I'll bet some of the guides (@profisher) are pissed by the sheringham rule.

Managed to catch one on the flats. image.png My uncle reeled it in. It took forever I thought for sure we were going to get sealed. The fish was a hatch and full of tiny tiny shimp. couple of sandlance and a large needlefish. image.jpeg The fishing seemed slow and I think we were lucky we hooked up.

JL

We spent time on the flats and Constance today and it was slow all around. We managed one keeper wild and only saw three other fish netted.

Hey JL, good work. I might have been beside you during that fight on the flats. The bite came on from about 1030-1115 on the flats. I released a 3lb from the 125 contour, turned around and crossed the 110 edge and picked up a 5lb. Released both and just got set up and was on the other side of the bait ball from you. Assuming you have that fibreglass with the aluminum top. I saw a few fish caught. All small. Orcas moved through by the 175 edge of the flats at 10. Might have scare some away. I went out to pedder bay to pick up some gear and saw a guy with approx 15-20lber in the parking lot

Hey JL, good work. I might have been beside you during that fight on the flats. The bite came on from about 1030-1115 on the flats. I released a 3lb from the 125 contour, turned around and crossed the 110 edge and picked up a 5lb. Released both and just got set up and was on the other side of the bait ball from you. Assuming you have that fibreglass with the aluminum top. I saw a few fish caught. All small. Orcas moved through by the 175 edge of the flats at 10. Might have scare some away. I went out to pedder bay to pick up some gear and saw a guy with approx 15-20lber in the parking lot
nope. no aluminum in my boat. i caught it in the "jiggers hole" by brodie. caught around 730-8. i think i was gone by 11

Fished Constance from 9:30-1:30. Dummy flashers and bait with 3rd rod running a bare plug. 2 Pin poppers that didn't stick and one 8 pounder unclipped released. Very slow but not a bad day on the water, contrary to previous big wave Dave reports. Lots of boats out, didn't see any nets.

GnB

fished constance early am , them waterfront nada, moved to oak bay and picked up a 27lb. on a clear hoochie. 85cm on the nose!

Can someone tell me how a 85 cm salmon can be 27 pounds?
According to my salmon size est. chart it would have to be 63,5 cm in girth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back