2016 Sidney

I was drifting. I'm not yet educated in anchoring. The tides and wind were pretty mellow yesterday. That's the second time I've tried around D'Arcy area and the only nibble I've produced was a dogfish. It was the first time I've ventured around the backside of Sidney island. Hamley was non stop nibbles on a salmon belly/herring combo....after about 10-15 mins all that was left of my bait each time was the belly skin. I dropped a jig down quick to see what was going on down there and instantly brought up a 2ish lb flounder or baby halibut? Not really sure if I was deep enough as I'm totally green when it comes to flat fishing.

Trolled a couple hours at tide change yesterday evening, spit and Sidney channel. No luck.
Some bait on the finder but didn't see much for fish.

Can anyone point me to some good crabbing options in the Sidney/Bedwell Harbor area? It would be good to pull up a trap or two after a day of getting skunked. Though with my luck recently, there'd be nothing in it! :p

Can anyone point me to some good crabbing options in the Sidney/Bedwell Harbor area? It would be good to pull up a trap or two after a day of getting skunked. Though with my luck recently, there'd be nothing in it! :p
Boy do I hear you CB! Has not been good out there for well over a week!

A lot of people put traps down around the mooring buoys off Sidney Spit, and I have had good luck there. Though my latest spot is in front of the beach to the south of the Tulista boat ramp. Mostly Red Rocks there, but there are lots in my experience. Watch out for commercial strings though!

Fished Fairfax today from 8-12ish with about half a dozen other boats, no luck. Dropped the crab trap at Sidney spit and struck out there too. Lot's of folks eager to launch this afternoon at Tulista... Ramp etiquette was in short supply, but what a day to be on the water!

put in 4 hours on sunday anchored for hali by zero rock. no hali, one dogfish and a few nibbles. there was one other boat there that left 30 mins after we got there and we did not see them land anything. we tried large anchovy, fake squid (lure) and a mudraker.
hope to get out again sometime soon.
thanks, fisherf

put in 4 hours on sunday anchored for hali by zero rock. no hali, one dogfish and a few nibbles. there was one other boat there that left 30 mins after we got there and we did not see them land anything. we tried large anchovy, fake squid (lure) and a mudraker.
hope to get out again sometime soon.
thanks, fisherf

Took a buddy out Sunday and dropped two traps at the spit then ran to Roche for lunch and a couple cold ones. 3 hour soak and the one had 12 mostly male. The other. Big nada. Go figure. Kept my 4 all over 7. Getting frustrated with the fishing so a good day to just chill.

Got out to Pender bluffs yesterday from 9:30 to 1:30. Got a small shaker and one spring just shy of retention at 58 cm. We hit the larger of the two just after noon at 76ft on a green coyote spoon and chartruse flasher.

Have been out a few times over the past few weeks. Moresby and around Sidney Island. Very slow. No bites. Seems like a lull. Hopefully will be some fish moving in this weekend. Looks like some good tides for fishing next weekend.

Back from my two weeks' vacation, so I hit the water for a couple hours yesterday afternoon (avoiding all of the father's day rush). Lots of things showing up around Powder Wharf, but only managed 1 shaker. Tonnes of jellyfish and sludge in the water, though. So the "fish" on the sounder may have been chunks of goo too...

And the throttle on my kicker stuck open, so we spent most of the time jigging.

We were out for a short fish on Father's day 2:30 - 4:30 in the Sidney Channel / Powder Wharf, and then a troll up and around Sidney Spit. Nothing for us either.

I have a friend who was out yesterday and they got into a couple of fish about an hour after the tide change (10:30) at Sidney Spit. Landed one lost one on the smaller side. Marked lots of bait and fish on the sounder as well, not sure if was salad or what?

Fished fairfax on Saturday (with ~6 other boats) - lots of Jelly, bit of salad - check lines often. 1 shaker. Saw 1 small legal Salmon netted.

Fishing Sidney area next a week tomorrow! Anyone having any positive results??? Locations etc.....

Picked up a frisky 10# clipped spring yesterday morning at Hamley Point at 90ft on chartreuse flasher and green and chartreuse coyote spoon. There were half a dozen other boats out and we saw one other fish netted. Seemed to be more bait in the area all around Sidney Island. We got half a dozen nice Dungeness earlier in the week in Roberts Bay too!

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 47
Way to go, Allbay! Nice to hear you're having some better luck!

Apparently fishing was on fire yesterday in Sidney! Three buddies on separate boats all got their limits and were done by 9 am. Can anyone confirm? Of course I was helping a friend move yesterday :confused:!

I was just stoked to hear some positive reports for our area!

Back