2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was mostly a nice calm day on the OB Flats. Lots of boats. Nothing for the first 3 hours, but then at around 1 pm I switched from spoons to squirts, and had 3 nice hits in the next hour. Unfortunately, none made it to the boat. Not sure if it was the switch that made the difference, or the bite just came on as predicted by tides4fishing.com. Came home empty handed, but encouraged for next time.

slooow today.
It was kind of satisfying however watching this pod of marauding T's leave a little oily patch where a seal had just been. :)
I lost a nice fish and some gear to a seal a couple of days ago

Attachments

• IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 96
Busy on the water today as Fleming ramp parking lot was full this morning and Constance area was littered with boats both trolling and hali fishing. We trolled the east side of the bank and picked up 3 springs to 10 lbs. All bites today were on Moonjelly AP spoon and moonjelly flasher. Drifted for hali for couple hours but only caught dogfish. Considering the number of boats out the Creel guy at the ramp said only couple other springs reported and 1/2 dozen or so halibut.

anybody on OB flats lately? The sandlance should be mature and doing their thing in late May right, so there should be some salmon hunting them down? Scott- have you tested the new ramp improvements yet?

Got skunked again at Oak Bay yesterday, but finally ended my dry spell today at Constance. Two in the boat, and another lost beside the boat. All on moon jelly AP spoon and moon jelly flasher. Thanks for the post yesterday, Kayladog.

Boated 6 hatchery Sunday afternoon wind made it tuff lost two screemers 12 to 22 lb 150 on riger spoon was the ticket one on cuttle and two on green glow coho killer and coyotes spoon old color .boomer

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Boated 6 hatchery Sunday afternoon wind made it tuff lost two screemers 12 to 22 lb 150 on riger spoon was the ticket one on cuttle and two on green glow coho killer and coyotes spoon old color .boomer
Nice fish boomer.

Took a friend out after work to the flats. Glass calm and picked up a hatch about 7 lb in first 15 minutes approx 100 ft on bottom. Glow squirt. Fished until 8 and no more bites. Only about 3 seals around. Hopefully the orcas took more seals than salmon. A guy at the ramp said he was out the last two mornings around 6-8 am before work and has played 8 salmon. Keep the reports coming.

I've been skunked the last 5 times I've been out - last fish was in Feb :-/.

Finally had a hit last time though - but it didn't stick. Going out tomorrow after work and crossing my fingers!

I think this thread covers everywhere from Whirl Bay to Baynes Channel. For those catching, it would be great to note what general fishing hole you were near? (ie Constance, Breakwater, Flag Pole, OB Flats...) ;)

From my experience, we are having to work much harder for fish than last year.
also the size is down, and the last 2 weeks we seem to be getting immature winter type fish
in the 5-8lb range.
That said, there are still some nice ones around.
Hoping this weekend will be good.

Anyone having any success from the breakwater from shore?
Tony, there's a Facebook group called "shore casting van. Island". I've seen some recent catches of Ling from there.

When the trolling's good at the breakwater in August, I watch the shore casters and am surprised how few times I see them catch salmon as the fish are in pretty tight then.

Was off waterfront today landed 2 at about 8 ish then zip BIG flush swept all the bait that was there....

Was off waterfront today landed 2 at about 8 ish then zip BIG flush swept all the bait that was there....
According to the tide tables I look at, the big flood didn't start til after 12 noon today.....so when you say 8 ish we have to assume you got a couple of 8 pounders ?
When are you heading back to Sooke Roy...we picked up a couple out that way this morning.
Found Oak Bay - Waterfront pretty spotty lately.

No the big ebb flush that was max at 9 ish both were hatch one was a lill one and he other about 10 lbs move the boat on monday to sooke, will tell you one thing the inner harbor is absolutely nuts today its one busy harbor!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back