2016 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

The last week was not very eventful. Fished last Saturday at Epson missed two pin poppers right away and then nothing the rest of the night. Saw very little bait around. Tuesday fished Bjerre at the south end and saw nothing, moved over Epson and picked up one under 10 pounds on a no bananas spoon.

Last edited:
April has been slow to start. Picked up a 12 and 14 at Quarry on Monday and 11 and 16 yesterday. Size better than earlier. Gibbs spoons and flashers.
Haven't been to Bjerre for a while as most fish have been small.

Quarry again this morning. Landed a solo double header 9 and 10#. Both red and wild females. Was mid tide, just goop in the guts. Another boat had a double as well not long after, lost one and released the other.
Gibbs skinnyG one side and AP herring on the other side. Gibbs got hit first and the AP while it was hanging...
Not much showing on the sounder.

You had a pretty good week I'd say grascal. You were out on that big beauty boat by yourself?? I'm up very early here and heading for Bjerre pretty quick. Buddies here have gotten several this week also on the south end.

Nice job Grascal. Id agree, they seem to be around in pockets and devoid in between... I might go out and hit the low tide this afternoon.

Fished the early tide yesterday morning in some very ugly water. Found a very scrappy 9 pounder at the north end of Bjerre near Whitstone. Anchovie and purple haze at 110 feet.

Fished Quarry late afternoon, still a little lumpy but got a lot of action from the start. 6 on, 2 lost, 3 released and kept a bleeder 10#. Only one undersize. Best action we have had in the past while. AndrewP herring spoon, SkinnyG and NogsNeedle all caught fish. Kept fish was a wild female and white, first white for a long while. No hatch fish.

We were out yesterday evening to Quarry after the wind settled a bit. Boxed an 11, released 2 smaller and lost a couple more. One was a big fish, so things are looking up. Hearing good reports from most locations here today, including Epsom and Bjerre. The early April dead spell is past and the action is heating up. Gibbs skinnyG and AndrewP spoons working well.

Good to hear guys. My power tilt motor went this week so I'm watching from land till the new motor arrives... good luck out there!

Fished early tide with Live Lines Saturday morning at Epson, non stop action from 630 to 1030. Kept two, lost a couple and put back eight just undersize. Went back out for late tide and picked one up, a lot slower.

Fished this morning same early morning tide, picked two up. Skinny G spoon and choives worked the same.

Last edited:
Did early tide yesterday at Quarry. Buddy kept one. Lots of shorts. Then midday tide with another guy at Epsom. He kept one. Too many shorts for me. Moved over to the pilings and it was wild there. Lots of boats. Most everyone limited out. I finally ended my shortie slump with a nice 16. Back to Quarry this morning. Still pretty fishy. Kept 2 and again tossed back many little guys. What an awesome weekend on the water.

Fished Upwood last night and tonight. Fished with LiveLines last night, lucky he was there. It was none stop from when we rolled in at 6 pm. No rhyme or reason, didn't matter what depth of water. Fish after fish in 800 to 250 depth. Kept our limit and released 10 just under size springs. The green and glow hoochie was the ticket.

Tonight I went out Hans Solo, picked one up, released 4. On the green and glow again.

Anyone here goin in the Garden Bay derby this year?

yup sign up is tomorrow, 7-9pm registration and boat auction at Garden bay pub, Friday May 13. I've never entered before so I don't know much about the rules, but if the wind looks ok I'm gonna go for it. 100/per ticket but some good prizes $1000+ biggest salmon, 500 hidden weight, 500 biggest cod, scotty prawn puller, rods, reels, etc. for prizes. Proceeds go to Sunshine Coast Salmonid Society.

I'm still having tilt problems, but I'm gonna make it work this weekend (wind willing).

There seem to be very few fish around. I'm here at Epsom right now. Not a sniff. Buddy did pilings and quarry this evening And skunked also. Think I'll be passing on the derby and spend 100 bucks on drinks instead.

I won't be fishing but, as Burban mentioned, lots of great prizes and proceeds going where they should go. Much improved over the past few years with new blood taking the reins.

Where is the pillings? Im not familiar with that location...

Wind looks so far so good for tomorrow. Too bad its been slow, I did hear a couple good local reports from the outside this week tho.

Back