2016 Sidney

A buddy and I were out for the derby also. The weather sure was perfect, which made the slow fishing juuuuust fine. We tried Sidney Channel for the first current change and released a barely legal hatchery. The currents were wild on the max. Moved over to Fairfax around noon and fished there until the buzzer went. Didn't see any nets while there....and I guess we got lucky with a nice fighting 12lb hatchery chinook on a large herring spoon at about 2pm. My buddy was stoked because it was his biggest chinook ever so that ended the day off nicely. Only around 40 fish weighed in but there were good ones. The top 5 were all over 20lb and the winner....25.3lb was jigged up. The Sidney Anglers put on a great event and dinner was really good. And thanks to Trotac for the on the water goodie bags!!

Thanks Fins-n-Skins. Here are the results. Need to thank the volunteers to make it great along with the participants who support Salmon Enhancement.
We need to get the fish back in the water. Government doesn't seem to want to help.

We have some pictures of yesterday on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/sidneyanglers

1st Kevin Hicks 25.3
2nd Dick Price 22.4
3rd Ward Bond 21.8
4th Buck Hullman 21.6
5th Trevor Skakun 21.1

Hi guys, new to the forum. Looking for tips on best flasher colours & spoon patterns for fishing Sidney this time of year. Been 20+ years since I spent much time fishing around here but I'm back at it and looking for pointers. Thanks in advance.

Welcome JDM!
My recommendations (yes, I don't mind giving my secrets away):
- Chartreuse glow flasher with chartreuse coho killer spoon
- Purple Haze Flasher (or Green chrome) with green/glow spoon
- Any flasher with bon chovy or No Bananas spoon

Hope this helps!
RC

I would totally agree with RC's colour selection...although maybe not the spoon type;)

Chartreuse and green combos have always done well for me there in the bright sun. This 23lb hit last May 30th in Sidney Channel. This was with a Peetz mini flasher and a 28" leader to an AP Sandlance spoon (chartreuse and green on one side and glow on the other). There are a ton of sand lance around Sidney so small spoons do very well on bottom. Belly was stuffed with sand lance.Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 8.52.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 8.46.55 AM.png

As the guys have already said, you can't go wrong with green, chartreuse, glow and uv. Which brand of flasher and spoon you choose will come down to personal preference, but they all work.

Nice plump smiley, Andrew!

Snuck out to Haro this morning and had this one in the boat within a half hour. Solo fishing, what a beautiful morning.

Cruised around Sidney a bit looking for bait but couldn't find it in the usual spots. Does anyone else think there's a little less this year?

On the water by 6:30 and fished Wain Rock for the tide change. Nada. Tried Coal for a few hours but same thing. Still as always a great day with or without.

Took advantage of the calmer winds in Sidney on Saturday. Lots of boats so I guess others were doing the same. 7:30-9:00 am at Coal Island, then over to Fairfax until noon. Nothing but a little pacific cod. Then went to my lucky ling spot and picked up a smallish keeper for supper. Stopped by Coal for another 45 minutes on the way back but still no salmon. The kreel guy, at 2 PM, said there wasn't much coming in, no halibut, a few springs and 2 lings including mine.

Was out early Sunday with a buddy to our Hali spot and got one 30 lbs on a glow squid with salmon belly towards Pender. My friend was ecstatic, and so was his wife! Nice when everything works out as planned. image.jpeg

Also went out to Constance Friday (I know not Sidney) and we limited out with four up to 15#. 3 of 4 fish came on an Andrew P spoon (anchovie I think? Not as thin as the sandlance spoon, not as wide as the herring spoon I've seen on here.)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Going to Renfrew on Friday with Hindsight Charters pretty great start to this fishing season!!

Well I fished in the Sidney Anglers house derby on Sunday, didn't have too much luck beyond some undersized and barely legal shakers. Nothing worth bonking. Spent most of the day at Coal and tried Moresby as well. Didn't seem like the fishing was all that hot but a few nice fish did get weighed in and a couple other guys I talked to had fish in the teens.

Some nice fish there Doc! That definitely looks like the anchovy spoon, good colors too. :) Ill be interested to hear how your trip to Renfrew goes, I plan on heading up there either this weekend or the next.

Nice one Docmedia. Have fun on Wellsy's newly refreshed rig. Its looking good and if you wanna catch the fishies he's the man. As for me will update next week when I get out to fish the sidney areas.

Back