Pippen - Feedback and My Comments for Admin

Pippen

Hey Chris/Brian....rather than send emails about feedback I am just going to create my own thread in this section with feedback/questions/comments that I find in this phase. I am going to use this thread to also just test some functionality with photos and other things. If you Admin guys want to add comments in here....please do.

May be worthwhile for others to do the same depending on how many testers you have now. It'll be your own thread to try things out.

If possible....for other testers maybe don't fill up one another's with comments. I think the guys want to see things as just honest feedback without wading thru a ton of extra posts. Maybe start a thread if there is a particular functionality we should all discuss but hope to keep this one just to some of my points.

• One of the first things I noted when accessing today is change the default below the text box so it's not automatically checked "yes" to "Watch this thread..." and "receive email notifications". Maybe the watch is fine as you'll get notifications when someone replies to the thread but email notifications are likely just a pain and one "click" you don't need to make every time you post. ;)
  • NEVERMIND....just found that all of the notifications can be edited and changed in one's settings.
  • That is one thing you may want to make sure members do is go through ALL of their settings to start, perhaps mentioned as part of their "intro" email when they join up?

Last edited:
Testing a pic from my PC....."Upload a File".

Works well for thumbnail and Full Image Option. This image was 640x640 on my PC and 208KB

Tyee - Kyuquot 34.jpg

So just tried the same image from my iPad and it works as it's a smaller file and was likely done when emailed to me by the photo taker.

Pics directly from my phone AND iPad don't work as the file needs to be less than 1MB; resized. That may drive people nuts who want to load directly from their phone and given the quality of cameras in phones these days this may pose a problem.

• Just looked at the file size of some of the pics on my phone and they are in the 2MB range.

Although there isn't much info yet to use the "Search" function in the forum it seems to work well.

Chris/Brian.

In spending more time navigating....you may want to look at creating a bit of a start guide to get people going.

Went to this platforms "Help" section and it's pretty useless.

http://www.bluecoast.ca/index.php?help/

A few topics to direct new users to when the join or first use the forum to try and avoid the MASSIVE "how do I post" type questions. A few off the top of my head that were mentioned a lot in the most recent 'upgrade'.

• Direct users first and foremost to their own settings/user profile to walk through it and change various settings such as alerts and other things. (I know people will hate getting emails about posts unless they turn it off ;)) This will "HELP" the 'help' type questions as one should really go through each section on settings before bitching and moaning. :p
  • The WHOLE notifications/alerts feature and functionality.
  • How to post or reply to a post.
  • A quick tutorial on posting photos, an explanation of the Media Gallery for a user. (I still think you need to allow for larger images to be loaded directly into a post versus having to load in the gallery first. Forcing the gallery really just makes it almost as many steps as loading into Photobucket....minus a step or two. In this day and age with a mobile driven world and so many 'live reports' from the water it would be great to have this functionality as I mentioned in another post)
  • How to navigate the forums to view the LAST post, Most recent or first unread will be an big one too.
  • Perhaps some encouragement to use the "Like" functionality. Saves all the "Nice Fish" or "Nice Report" posts in some of the Reports threads. It's easy if I am getting notifications/alerts....I just see 'X-User' liked my post.

Last edited:
Hey Guys....

This may become another issue. Was just playing in my Media Gallery and trying to upload media. You'll see at the bottom of the page "
Your Quota:
Uploads may be restricted by your quota if certain limits are exceeded. More Details "

When clicking on More Details it shows the following with only 4 images loaded. Those 4 take up ~1/20th of my "Media Gallery" so I am limited to 80 images UNLESS every single image I upload is compressed.

Your image upload quota:
Maximum Dimensions: Unlimited
Maximum File Size (MB): 10
Maximum Storage Quota (MB) 2.6 MB of 50 MB
Maximum Items Per Upload: 10 Items
Allowed Extensions: png, jpg, jpeg, jpe, gif

BTW.....just figured out where the "wrap text in quotes" button is on the Editor. There is an "Insert" drop down right by the camera linking to your Media Gallery. :)

Hey Guys....the "Alerts" when you're "Watching" a thread are working just fine. I may actually turn a few off. :confused:

Last edited:
MEDIA GALLERY

Some privacy/security in one's albums, gallery or even images would be nice.....more so on the ability to "share" the image. If you go into my gallery or this image http://bluecoast.ca/index.php?media/this-image-was-1-06mb.13/

Anyone can copy the links, Tweet it or link it to Facebook. We DO get spammers that sneak through the cracks and I'd hate to all of a sudden have them (or anyone for that matter) sharing the URL to images I have added. I intentionally have my Facebook account secure and completely tightened up to avoid things like this.

Hey Guys, @Test Pilot @chrisp

I think I've been through almost every area of the site and everything seems to work fine as it is; not sure what kind of back end tweaking/mods you can do based on a lot of the comments?

• I've played with all the functionality in the editor type functions.
  • Played with posting functions such as polls etc.
  • Played with the Media and also Resources, uploading to both.
  • Have clicked around in the "Members" tab.
  • Posted photos - (you know how a few of us feel on various comments about privacy, sharing, file size, steps to post in a thread versus media gallery etc)
  • Used the search functions
  • Played with tags of individuals and topics.
  • Have been thru pretty much all of the settings a user can tweak in his profile.
  • Played with the messaging functions on an individual basis and we've also done a group one.
  • Worked off PC, iPad and Blackberry with no real issues at all; seems to work well across platforms. (I don't tapatalk)
  • I am sure there are other areas but as I was working through this morning while listening to a conference call...haha....there really isn't anything I haven't clicked around in that seems not to work.

You know we've all offered some feedback....not sure how much more you want us to do. Pretty much everything seems to function just fine as it is intended to now as far as I can tell. May be up to you guys to look at what can be tweaked from the Admin side of things?

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

I have not had a chance to speak directly to @chrisp yet about the comments and potential tweaks you have noted. We can eliminate the Media Gallery component if there is concern around further privacy settings that can't be changed. I will also defer to Chris regarding any change that can be made to the file size that can be uploaded directly from your phone files, as this would be desirable if it can be accomplished. My guess is most users would simply upload photos directly from their files rather than create a gallery, but for those who currently use something like Photobucket, this feature would be useful.

Other than what Pippen has already noted, do any of you have any further comments or concerns?

Thanks,

Brian

Hey Brian, @Test Pilot

I actually think the gallery itself is a great idea! Although only a few of us are on here now....checking out other photos is enjoyable and I can only imagine it may get better as more start to create galleries.

I think the big question would be if there are any security/privacy adjustments that can be made in the background so that only the individual whose gallery it is can copy links, share to Facebook or Twitter? Although it's not a huge deal....I'd hate to post a picture of any sort in the Media Gallery and have another individual decide to share it to Twitter or Facebook without me knowing. I would assume there must be some Admin type security functions that could be tweaked? Truth be told....the links next to it are what they are, even if they weren't there I could post the pics up here or on another forum that aren't mine. It's not too tough to right click on the image....click on Properties and copy the direct URL for the image and past it between an IMG code. ;) So all in all, the links aren't such a bad thing...it would just be nice to explore the idea if the links were ONLY visible to the individual who posted and the hot links to share to Twitter and Facebook were also only available.

Cheers.....pretty much the basic functionality is great!

Scott

Reactions: Rib
@Test Pilot Here is an example of screen shots from another forum using the same software....they have tweaked it.

When I go into a users gallery....I see the larger Tiles of images but if I want a better look I click on it and takes me to an overlay charcoal screen as noted below. You can sort of see it's a translucent image viewer and in the background you can see there are other images. Up in the top right corner you see it says "Show in Original Location"? If I click on that you'll see the shot further down.....no links for ME to copy/paste or Social Media links for me as the visitor to the gallery to click on. Even the Image Tools drop down doesn't allow me to do anything.

Gallery Screen Shot - BCSF.jpg

BCSF - Go to Image.jpg

Reactions: Rib
I just signed up after being asked by Brian. Sorry for the late start fella's. Work is crazy right now. Gotta pay to play lol.

The picture in Scott's post turned up full size......yeah. It looks like ***** on my screen and the pixel's must be screwed up or something.

Anyways have some patience with me folks as I try to catch up with this test site.

Cheers,
John

Hi Brian,

I was just wondering if all the fishing reports are now updated. I'm looking for the 2016 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour, Texada post? Should a new one be started?

I'd like to see underneath everyone's avatar where they are located. Perhaps this should be made a mandatory function when registering.

This would be particularly helpful when guys are posting in the buy/sell section as not all post their location.

I'd like to see underneath everyone's avatar where they are located. Perhaps this should be made a mandatory function when registering.

This would be particularly helpful when guys are posting in the buy/sell section as not all post their location.

Ya....we had mentioned this a while back. @Admin

Hey Brian, @Test Pilot
...I think the big question would be if there are any security/privacy adjustments that can be made in the background so that only the individual whose gallery it is can copy links, share to Facebook or Twitter? Although it's not a huge deal....I'd hate to post a picture of any sort in the Media Gallery and have another individual decide to share it to Twitter or Facebook without me knowing...

@Test Pilot Here is an example of screen shots from another forum using the same software....they have tweaked it.

When I go into a users gallery....I see the larger Tiles of images but if I want a better look I click on it and takes me to an overlay charcoal screen as noted below. You can sort of see it's a translucent image viewer and in the background you can see there are other images. Up in the top right corner you see it says "Show in Original Location"? If I click on that you'll see the shot further down.....no links for ME to copy/paste or Social Media links for me as the visitor to the gallery to click on. Even the Image Tools drop down doesn't allow me to do anything.

View attachment 61

View attachment 62

@Pippen That looks like a really good way to do it Scott, wish I had thought of that:rolleyes:. They told me you were doing this... :( A true testament to your character for sure, but on the bright side, also to theirs for letting me know.

Last edited:
Back