2016 Winter Harbour Reports

Headed to Winter Harbour for our first time EVER!!! May 5th-10th…… no reports form anyone out of there yet?

I know its a little early for WH fishing but were bored and was going to try a couple days up in WH during the long weekend, any reports from anyone? I know the bottom fish will be there but any signs of salmon working their way through?

17 more sleeps! Putting the brand new Hewescraft in a Coal Harbour to make the trek to Winter Harbour for first time in my life…….. Will post reports as we can!

Ling and Rockfish limits…… sweet… that is our target this trip./... white meat!
Looking forward to it.
Thanks for the update bugleemup!

Just returned from 4 days in Quatsino. First time there. Really beautiful country. Millpond smooth in the a.m. and windy in the afternoon, but as we stayed inside, no problem for us. (no radar, 21 ft boat, spouse w/ tendency to seasickness). Targeted bottom fish mainly. Ended up with 3 lovely big ling cod, 2 snapper and 2 spring, (larger was about 16 lbs). No hali for us, but next boat got a 47 pounder, (got the details at the dock). Loved this fishery. Definitely will return.

Just returned from 4 days in Quatsino. First time there. Really beautiful country. Millpond smooth in the a.m. and windy in the afternoon, but as we stayed inside, no problem for us. (no radar, 21 ft boat, spouse w/ tendency to seasickness). Targeted bottom fish mainly. Ended up with 3 lovely big ling cod, 2 snapper and 2 spring, (larger was about 16 lbs). No hali for us, but next boat got a 47 pounder, (got the details at the dock). Loved this fishery. Definitely will return.
So--since you stayed inside do you mind telling me where you picked up the Springs-behind Kain island or over at Cliffe point? Glad you enjoyed your trip !!

4 Days in Winter Harbour and no Halibut? Kind of the reason we are headed up there…… Hopefully you were doing something wrong… LOL!
Not meant as a stab…..

6 more for us..
Boats back in commission and breaking in new crate engine now..
Have a buddy coming from Calgary.
Plan is to put in @Coal H. on the Monday..set traps/grab a few crabs for dinner..head out and putter around and fish Cains in evening..anchor up in North Harbour..fish off shore Tuesday/Wednesday weather permitting
(We have till Friday)
Look for us in a 2359 Trophy ..good luck may the weather gods look down on us with light winds and calm seas :)

Roger that! We will be launching in Coal as well… staying in some lodges in Winter Harbour.
red Hewescraft SeaRunner 210. Leaving Calgary Sunday AM bright and Early… should hit Nanaimo… pick up some bait next AM and down the sound we go.

Anyone have any general areas around WH for crabbing and prawining. I've heard there aren't many crab around due to the overwhelming population of sea otters which we can verify after our last trip there.

Thanks

Dave

Back