Pip's Tips for the New SFBC

Pippen

Hey Guys,

Glad to see all the positive feedback thus far for the site. As some may know there was a handful of us that tested this software quite rigorously and tried out EVERY bit of functionality we could find. We did start with a "stock" version of the software which has now had some backend functionality/defaults set up.

Just wanted to do share some tips and features you may want to look at while using the "new" SFBC. ;) Any of you other fellers who were part of the testing want to chime in, please feel free. I'll be adding as I think of things as we did uncover a lot!

First thing to do:
  • Go into your "personal details" and ensure you have things set up how you want. This is found by clicking on your name in the upper right part of the screen. From here you'll see down the left side of the screen you can access everything from settings, alerts to all your Details. (if you mouse over your name you'll see a drop down that will take you to all of them by clicking on them as well)
  • I would especially say have a look at Preferences and Alert Preferences to ensure you either ARE or ARE NOT being notified of different actions depending on what you want.
  • You'll see when on your page there are plenty of spots to access your 'conversations', 'alerts' etc
  • Add an Avatar pic.......pretty simple and straight forward from the details page.
  • If you're cool with it, add your location too. I know right now it doesn't show when viewing members posts in a thread where they are located but I had asked Admin if this can happen? Sure is a lot easier in the Buy/Sell or other forums when someone asks "Where do I catch salmon right now locally" and someone always has to ask "WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED". :rolleyes:
Navigating around and Posting:
  • This is pretty straight forward and within a few minutes everyone except for some of your old pharts who hate change will be able to figure out where things are. :D
  • Generally speaking, always have a look at the top of the screen in the light blue and dark blue 'bars' and you'll see where you need to go. Once there most of it is self explanatory.
  • WE NOW HAVE A GALLERY! So when you're bored and starting to go bat sh*t crazy in late November you just click on "Media" in the dark blue bar at the top of the screen and it will take you there. You'll see all you need to know down the left hand side of the screen.
  • With respect to the Gallery.......create one for yourself guys, start an album! This was actually something that was cool during the testing to have lots of pics at your fingertip to browse thru as opposed to JUST looking/searching for them in threads. :cool:
  • Up top as well you'll see "Resources" which we only started to dabble in. Maybe some of you guys involved in SVIAC, PSF etc may want to add in there? (if that's okay @Admin ?)
  • Speaking of the above '@' symbol. If you want to tag somebody in your post you now can! Type @and immediately after with NO space start typing their username and you'll get a pop up appear; just click on their name and voila! It'll look like this..... @Pippen If they have their notifications/alerts set up they will see they've been tagged. Handy features if you want certain individuals to take note of a post or thread.
  • When you are going to post or start a thread you'll see below the text box "More Options". This gives you a larger text box to work with, allow you to preview your post and also you can check below to "Follow this thread". Following will give you an alert when someone posts in it.
  • Also if you scroll down after clicking on 'more options' you can create a poll should you wish.
  • ***Just adding this as it came up in a question. If you want to view the "Last Post" in a thread, aka. the 'most recent'. When in any of the sub-forums or if you use the 'New Posts' function to the right side of the screen you'll see the last poster's name and the TIME that it was posted. Click on the time itself and it takes you to the last/most recent post. The time itself has replaced the little blue arrow button that was on the old software.

Photos:
  • We know this was the biggest ***** on the last version of the site. o_O
  • Many of you have already noticed but there are 2 ways of adding photos into a post/thread.
    1. The first is done simply below the 'text box' when typing you'll see the "Upload a File" button. Click on that and it will allow you to access whatever device you're working on. I believe the max size may now be at 3 MB that can be uploaded using this method. (If memory serves me correct you CAN upload larger files to your gallery) You can also add the photo as a 'thumbnail' or a 'full image'.
    2. The second way is to click on the little camera icon at the top of the text box and this links to your gallery! As mentioned above, there is a gallery on the site and you can create your own albums; clicking on this icon opens up your gallery and it will embed the image you click on in your post.
  • In your gallery should you create one you'll also see when you click on your pics some links to the right. Should you want to share your pic in a post on this forum or even on another forum you can click/copy the 'IMG' code and be able to post it anywhere. For those who have used Photobucket these links are similar to what they allow you to do.
  • With respect to Videos you still have to host it on a third party site as you can't upload them here. So use YouTube/Photobucket etc To embed the video in a thread it is much like before, you see at the top of the text box 2 to the right from the smiling face it looks like to filmstrip; click on that and paste the URL of where the media is you want to share. Easy Peasy!
Messaging:
  • This is pretty straight forward and similar to in the past. Simply accessed by 'Inbox' in the upper right part of the screen or also 'Conversations' from pages like your Personal Details screen.
  • Managing is pretty straightforward, just click on the check box to the left and it allows options such as deleting etc.
  • If you so choose you can also have multiple individuals included in a conversation/PM should you want to private dialogue with a few members.

I will add to this post as more things pop up but hope it helps! ;)

Last edited:
A small point - the term "Private Messages" is now "Conversations" - so if you want to PM another member, you start a Conversation with them.

can we make this a conversation that sticks for a while like sooke reports until we all get up to speed?

can we make this a conversation that sticks for a while like sooke reports until we all get up to speed?

@Admin ??? See....I used a new feature there! :p Now Admin will get notice of this post when he logs in.

Civano.....one thing to do in the interim as the guys are working to get everything caught up from October's software upgrade is to click in the thread, select 'more options' as noted above and below the text box click the 'follow this thread' option when replying in it. If you've set up your alerts as noted at the beginning of my first post....you'll get a little red notice in the top right by 'Alerts' any time someone replies. Click on alerts or just mouse over it and you'll see a list of alerts.

I am not Admin....just a plebe who helped test the software; I can't do anything on the forum you can't do. ;)

Last edited:
thx for the tips @Pippen and to the Admins and others who tested and re-worked the forum. Good to hear some early positive feedback from users as for a while there it was a lot of talk.... not much of it positive at all. looking forward to exploring now.

how do i delete conversations? kinda crowded!

@trophywife...to delete conversations, simply click on the small box to the left of the conversation you want to delete. When you do that a small pop up box will appear with a drop down menu and the word "other actions" in it. When you click on the down arrow you will see "Leave Conversations" which acts as the delete function for this platform. To remove multiple conversations all at once, simply click the small box to the left of the messages you want to remove and follow the same steps.

Click on your name, top right - use the "people you ignore" category in the right hand column of the drop down menu
Thanks Bruce. It was more of a case of my sick sense of humor kicking in after a couple of rums

This site is running pretty good from what I have seen. What a difference. Cool!

noticed i posted a couple times , 2 different threads , and never appeared seen it on the " new posts " thread ,
no biggy , just an observation ( bam reports and smoker replacement element )

fd

Hey Buddy....your own posts won't show up as 'new posts' for your specific viewing...just for others.

Back