OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the hump today all morning. Lots of action but no luck. Two in the mid teens lost right by the boat , one lost in a tug of war with the biggest seal I've ever seen, and one not quite legal. Plus 8 cods to keep us busy. All on Skinny G's - outfitter and bon chovy.

Lots of sea lions out there the last two times I've been, you'll never win a tug of war with one of those.

Out to the hump at the crack of noon fished until 4:30. Late start for first day of the season. Didn't notice any keepers being netted. Released a couple of undersized. Brought up quite a few small pollock when changing gear. I thought there was nothing on the lines which made me wonder how long I was trolling them around. At least the weather gods were decent.

Last edited:
Definitely some fish out at the Hump this a.m. Had 5 good fish on and boated my 2nd shortly before 9 a.m. Hits were on Skinny G's between 105 ft and 130 ft on the rigger running with the wind on a fast troll.image.jpeg

Went out to the hump today and fished in the lump out there. Managed to net a 10 pounder as well as a hatchery coho. Also release 2 undersized. Crabbing was also good.

On a side note, when does the commie crabbing season open?

Went out to the hump today and fished in the lump out there. Managed to net a 10 pounder as well as a hatchery coho. Also release 2 undersized. Crabbing was also good.

On a side note, when does the commie crabbing season open?
Early June after prawn season closes for them

The hump april 22 2016.jpg We were out last night at the Hump and got this guys at 90' on an Irish cream coyote. Great night spent in Howe Sound. Fished this am but the combination of a late night and lumpy water sent us home.

No luck for Springs on our last few tries at the Hump. Just one little Blueback!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 57
Hole in the Wall yesterday, picked up a 12lber right after midday slack. 80ft, homeland security. Anchovies in the belly.

Fished the hump for about a hour until the wind made us move lolone keeper and a few little fellas, went to the bell buoy and got one just under and bunch more little guys .

Dont think he meant stickleback or herring, been coming across quite a few massive schools of true anchovies in howe sound / Indian arm so far this year, usually filter feeding right on the surface, easily distinguishable from herring.

My dad told me that there used to be local Anchovies in Indian Arm when he was young. Commercial fishing wiped them out, and the local stocks never recovered. That's great news, if local runs of Anchovies are reestablishing themselves.

Our first fish this year from Bell Buoy at the beginning of April had four anchovies in the 4 - 5 inch range in its stomach (and nothing else). Looked like they came right out of the Rhys Davis pack. I was surprised to see them as well, good to see they are making a comeback.

Definitely not herring and sure looked like anchovies to me. Could be wrong though - it's happened before!

Hey, I love learning new things and being wrong, never caught a spring with anchovies in its belly... Cool.

Saturday; tried the hump for a while to get 2 undersized. Too rough at 10 am so went to Tunstall bay. Just before 11 am hooked a nice one at 111" on Army Truck hoochie, but lost at the surface when breaking water.
Sunday; Started at Hutt island and got a 65cm, red flesh, on the first pass on herring. Wind came up so went to horseshoe bay and got 3 on hoochies. I let 2 go and my fish had 5 baits in the stomach. Finally quit at about 2:40 pm. I got another coloured hoochie going, blood and bones.
I had a fish near the bell buoy in late march with 2 anchovies in it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back