2016 Sidney

Took my mom out for her 62nd bday today, fished a few hours at coal with nothing but dirty looks from the seals. Went to satellite channel and got an 11# hatchery chinook on a sandlance spoon, which absolutely made my moms day. It peeled out a bunch of line and gave her a real good fight, couldnt have turned out better.

Took my mom out for her 62nd bday today, fished a few hours at coal with nothing but dirty looks from the seals. Went to satellite channel and got an 11# hatchery chinook on a sandlance spoon, which absolutely made my moms day. It peeled out a bunch of line and gave her a real good fight, couldnt have turned out better.
That's awesome avd.Gotta love getting Mom into a good fish!Were you on the Sidney side of Satellite towards the inlet
if you don't mind me asking?

We fished the whole channel but mostly, yes.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Out yesterday afternoon with my daughter for a father-daughter fishing trip with a buddy and his little girl. Prawning and a short troll produced a 10# spring and some great prawns.

The wind whipped up pretty good yesterday evening. Girls had a blast fishing and being on a big adventure.

Does anyone know why the forum always rotates images? I'm having a heck of a time posting a proper photo! Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Could I ask you guys for Coal Island advise? Of all the Sidney spots, it's the one that I have the most trouble being consistently successful. I've only dragged up a couple of winter-shakers from the 130' flats off the South East side, and have had no luck with the summer runners.

Any advice appreciated!

Purdy fish Doc!

Coal isn't the easiest place to fish, but the way to fish it is the same as fishing other areas. Just drag around an anchovy, strip, spoon, hootchie, whatever, and watch out for the reefs. The whole surrounding area is pretty "fishy", and depending on the tides the fish might not be where everybody normally trolls.

Hey Doc, I think you can rotate the image in your windows picture viewer or whatever app you use before uploading it. Its probably positioned that way because you turned your phone sideways to get a landscape picture instead of shooting vertical. I could be way off base though. Btw, any info youd like to share about the lure, location, depth, etc of that fish? Ill be heading out midweek and Im not sure where I wanna fish yet. :)

Coal isn't the easiest place to fish, but the way to fish it is the same as fishing other areas. Just drag around an anchovy, strip, spoon, hootchie, whatever, and watch out for the reefs. The whole surrounding area is pretty "fishy", and depending on the tides the fish might not be where everybody normally trolls.

Hey Doc, I think you can rotate the image in your windows picture viewer or whatever app you use before uploading it. Its probably positioned that way because you turned your phone sideways to get a landscape picture instead of shooting vertical. I could be way off base though. Btw, any info youd like to share about the lure, location, depth, etc of that fish? Ill be heading out midweek and Im not sure where I wanna fish yet. :)
Thanks for the picture info, it seems that it might be the other way around though, it wants to rotate the vertical pics, and the landscape ones show up properly.

About the fish - we were fishing Arbutus Rk. And Lands End portion of Satellite. 93' feet on the rigger with a white UV hootchie with black stripe (I'm sure there's a proper name for it... oh well). We've had a couple of decent hookups there in the last couple of days.

Also the fish's stomach was packed with very small herring approx. 4".

Just did a little test with the pics, and the only way a photo will post properly (without editing) is if you take the photo in landscape (sideways not vertical) with your home-button on the right (iPhone). Any other orientation of the phones camera will result in an upside down, or sideways pic! Hope this helps someone else! I will post this in the general forum too. Want to see some more pics on here!!

Nice and detailed report, Doc! Good to hear you're finding fish out that way. People might call that hoochie color "cop car", but I'm not sure if that necessarily applies to UV colors. I think I'm going to try the other end of Sidney in the morning, but once the tide starts running I might seek shelter from the current towards the inlet. If I do, I'll be sure to throw down a hoochie!

Thanks THX for your insight. I hit up Coal yesterday afternoon and pretty quickly brought up this 15# beauty. Her belly was absolutely stuffed with fresh sandlance.
Caught in purple haze teaser. 60' on the rigger.
download_20160426_202324.jpg
Evidently, photo must be in landscape ;)

Nice fish! I was out today from sunrise until after the 2nd tide change.... long day. Got into 5# and 7# fish early on near james island, then it went dead for about 5 hours until we happened upon this gentleman, a 19# wild chinook!

The only question that remains is what side of the picture will be facing up...

Attachments

• cid_469.jpg
    cid_469.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 64
Worth noting I guess that we fished anchovies and spoons all day, and we had fish hit anywhere from 60-140 on the rigger

Thanks THX for your insight. I hit up Coal yesterday afternoon and pretty quickly brought up this 15# beauty. Her belly was absolutely stuffed with fresh sandlance.
Caught in purple haze teaser. 60' on the rigger.
View attachment 27493
Evidently, photo must be in landscape ;)
Nice catch! We were at Coal yesterday too... for the tide change....no nibbles though. Thanks for posting the pic!

Nice work THX good fish for sure, I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon, what time was that fish eating dinner?:)

Doc, the fish yesterday was caught in the afternoon, just before the tide change. Most of the fish Ive had lately have empty stomachs, so they should be on the bite!

Out again today from sunrise till about noon. Caught one 15# hatchery and about a 7# hatchery that we released. Also had multiple double headers, all with undersized to barely legal fish. Oh well, it was some excitement anyway. Fished all over the place this morning, an hour or so at each spot, just to suss things out before the big derby next weekend! Anchovies and spoons again today, dont wanna say much else until about May 8th. :p

Well, fished 10 hours today at Coal for the Sidney Anglers derby... Lost one about 12-15# and released a bunch of small ones, and that was it for us. The tides and ridiculous amount of seaweed made for some tough fishing today. Ran into RogersonCrusoe at the ramp and he introduced himself, also saw wolf from Blue Wolf Charters and he was kind enough to toss me a fishbag full of goodies from Trotac. Was nice to see the forum well represented with more than a few members boats participating. Too bad the fishing wasn't nearly as hot as the previous weekend, at least not for us.

Well, fished 10 hours today at Coal for the Sidney Anglers derby... Lost one about 12-15# and released a bunch of small ones, and that was it for us. The tides and ridiculous amount of seaweed made for some tough fishing today. Ran into RogersonCrusoe at the ramp and he introduced himself, also saw wolf from Blue Wolf Charters and he was kind enough to toss me a fishbag full of goodies from Trotac. Was nice to see the forum well represented with more than a few members boats participating. Too bad the fishing wasn't nearly as hot as the previous weekend, at least not for us.
Similar story for us today as well... Minus the fish part.

Fished 6:00 - 1:00 at Fairfax along with approx. 50 other boats. We did not see one net the entire time there.

Moved over to Satellite Channel after the tide-change and continued our search. Nothing to show for our efforts but a whole bunch of empties!

Tough sledding for sure, but we also managed to catch a Trotac Prize Pack as well passing Blue Wolf in the crowd - Thanks!!

Hope the fishing picks up soon.

Glad you liked the goodies I think the staff from Trotac Paul,Trev and Kathy made up and tossed about 50 or so bags to fellow fisherman on the water we went all over to fish and toss them to fisherman/ladies .For me personally its a fun day to actually have fun and relax with my friends,and we got a fish this year off the channel LOL not a derby winner by no means but still a fun day and what about the weather man was it ever awesome.....see you all next year
Wolf

Back