Learning about boats

Hi Tony, There will be lots of opinions on here, but assuming you aren't a mechanic or something I would think a small boat (14' to 16') with an outboard is the best way to get started. You should get something large enough to be safe in the areas you intend to explore, but not too big that has many complex systems. Things to look for would be reliable, simple power and avoid anything with rot, soft spots etc. Depending if you want fibreglass or aluminum I would think a small double eagle, hourston, arima boat would be a good choice or a 14' to 16' open aluminum would work too.

I think you can rent boats in Pedder bay if you want to try a double eagle or hourston of that size.

If you listed some of your ideal uses, budget, how much you can tow, how much storage you have and what your level of mechanical knowledge is I'm sure you will get better advice.

That 18 ft is very underpowered with a 40 HP. Would not buy.

Hi Tony, There will be lots of opinions on here, but assuming you aren't a mechanic or something I would think a small boat (14' to 16') with an outboard is the best way to get started. You should get something large enough to be safe in the areas you intend to explore, but not too big that has many complex systems. Things to look for would be reliable, simple power and avoid anything with rot, soft spots etc. Depending if you want fibreglass or aluminum I would think a small double eagle, hourston, arima boat would be a good choice or a 14' to 16' open aluminum would work too.

I think you can rent boats in Pedder bay if you want to try a double eagle or hourston of that size.

If you listed some of your ideal uses, budget, how much you can tow, how much storage you have and what your level of mechanical knowledge is I'm sure you will get better advice.

^^^^Wwunder has given you some excellent advise.

Excellent. Thanks everyone!
I'm a flatlander, lake fishing in sask mostly. Love fish and fishing, not too keen on salmonids but love pretty much all white fleshed fish.

Things like tide charts, currents charts, shipping lanes are completely beyond my scope right now.

Crabbing, prawn ing, flat fish, ling cod, greenling etc close to shore. No real need or desire for overnight camping in the boat. Have gmc 1500 pick up, not tons of storage but driveway eyc.

At one time I could mechanic. Not any more really and electronics have always been a mystery.

Budget: I'm a cheap ******* at heart. And since I've heard boats are holes in the water that you throw money into, $5-8k seems about right for my first venture.

I'm not in a hurry, just trying to learn lots in advance.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.shorecaster.bizhosting.com/

Judging from where you are listing the ads from, l would say you are in the Victoria area. As you are not keen on salmon at this point, why not try and get some of the fish you favor from shore, while researching boats that might suit your needs and budget.
Another good source of information, would be to hang out at one of the boat launch sites nearby, observe what type of boats are being used and ask a few questions. By just watching the ease (or lack of) launch and recovery, you could eliminate a few that might have been on your list. If it's hard to launch or recover, you may find yourself reluctant to head out, especially with the limits on cod etc.

Hi Tony. I have a new 14ft lund with a 20 hp merc 4 stroke on it. It is a very stable boat and I have no problems taking it to Constance bank and farther when the weather is good. It is a great boat for inshore fishing and exploring. The suggestion about hanging out at a ramp is a good one. You need to figure out what you want in a boat. If you wait a few months prices will drop as winter approaches. You shopuld be able to get a great boat within your budget. Also if it is just you a tinnie is very easy to handle by yourself. Good Luck.

Be prepared to spend WAY more in the long run than you have even imagined. Not trying to be a dick just being realistic

Awesome feedback, thanks guys!
I will certainly start from shore. It sounds like a lot of good crabbing areas are really best accessed from a boat though and while I will be focused on white fleshed fish to start, there is just too much opportunity from a boat for me to pass up.
Likely be fishing alone most of the time as well so that factors into the boat size and layout as well.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be prepared to spend WAY more in the long run than you have even imagined. Not trying to be a dick just being realistic

The most honest answer... to be honest I bought a double eagle 16 feet on first boat.. It needed a lot of work but got it cheap..Honestly I like the boat but 17 feet makes huge difference for room. For amount I sunk in I could have bought with better motor etc... Just keep it in mind..It gets tempting to buy I cheap boat. Also be prepared to spend thousands in safety equipment if it doesn't have..That stuff adds up. Pay more attention to maintenance of boat and motors. Do not get hung up on guys that say oh it only has 700 hours... It may have sat in driveway for 3 years not getting used. That's even worse. If you look at and its a mess that is usually indicator that the motors are not maintained as well.. The worst boats I have and been on are the ones that hardly get used. You want the guy that uses it year round, and keeps it in good shape and maintained.

True.

Its a balancing act for your $8K. You could spend $5K on the best boat you can find at that price point, and reserve $2-3K for repairs, additions (safety gear, electronics) etc depending on what your 'new' rig comes with and state of the equipment therein.

But you may rule out a deal that comes with a newer or more well maintained boat that might not need much to get you on the water safely and to reach your goals.

The reserve another 2-3K for misc. lol

I'm currently in about the same situation. I have a 14' with a 15hp Merc. I am looking to 'upgrade' to a 16-17 boat, but I go around and around in circles on where to focus my search and get my budget finalized. Looking at anything from 3K to possibly 10K...i'm trying to enjoy the process. But it can be stressful at times...

If your going to buy a used outboard, do yourself a favor and buy your own compression tester. Take it with you, and have them run the test for you in front of your own eyes. Its fast, easy to do, and anyone selling an outboard should expect to show the motor running and a quick compression check. It could save you learning the hard way and the cost of buying another used motor within a year.... take it from me on that one.

Back