What happened to Nogs Needle.

Part Timer

I have yet to see any reports on the Nogs Needle this year on the reports. Has the Sand lance taken over or is anyone catching fish on the needle?

Nog's Needle worked for me at Swiftsure last weekend.

Produced our biggest fish on the first day of a 3 day trip.

Used a glow color and fished it deep.

I am starting to think the the Sand Lance spoon should have to pay for advertising on this site if that thread gets any bigger.

Hey Mike.....just picked one up the other day. Did you run it behind a flasher or just solo?

Scott - we ran it with a flasher.

Leader length was comparable to bait and ran around 2.5 MPH as cuttlefish was on the other side.

I've put several chinook in the boat this year on Nog's needle. I ran it "naked" - e.g. without a flasher or dummy flasher and it produced well at Swiftsure. I mostly used the pearlescent glow spoon.

I also have put a good number of springs in the boat and a couple of halibut, out on big bank. Trolled with and without flasher.

Has worked okay for me in Ukee, but catches pinks and cohos too despite the large size. I have a feeling the hook is too small for the higher speed I like to troll at. I would think Matt would use a bigger hook on the troller. I think it is spinning on me sometimes. I have six and will change a few of the hooks. I've only fished it without the flasher.

I have several, build quality is very nice but i had a problem with the first 2 i tried, the welded ring gets hung up on the nose and i found them being dragged straight through the water with 0 action and not wiggling side to side.

I put them away and never gave them a fair chance, i think drilling out the nose hole some more would fix this but i haven't done so yet...

20150804_144154_zps3ogrca78.jpg

20150804_144147_zpsfct1jqjk.jpg

20150804_143902_zpsx2qn3zbv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been fishing these spoons since dec 2014 and have done quite well with them. all my fishing has been on the east side of van isl. I will be in winter harbour later this month and will fish them hard over there, will post results when I get back.
cheers
st

ive been fishing these spoons since dec 2014 and have done quite well with them. all my fishing has been on the east side of van isl. I will be in winter harbour later this month and will fish them hard over there, will post results when I get back.
cheers
st

That's the one I really wanted to get but they didn't have at my local retailer. :(
The internet is your friend. I ordered mine online. But if I recall I found them also in Stillwater Sports in Ladner.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The internet is your friend. I ordered mine online. But if I recall I found them also in Stillwater Sports in Ladner.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ya....just got mine Sunday and didn't think it would be delivered in time for my trip if ordered then.

PN&T in Steveston village has some-or had.

CRAP!! Was just out there today and didn't think to look! Ugh!

En route to Kyuquot Sat morning and meeting Derby to get a rod/reel to try out...may get him to bring one with him as the store won't be open that early.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, I am pitching in for some advertising. I am more than happy to help support this awesome forum....or as my wife puts it....the place where I hang out with my 'internet fishing friends'. Cheers.

Nog's Needle worked for me at Swiftsure last weekend.

Produced our biggest fish on the first day of a 3 day trip.

Used a glow color and fished it deep.

I am starting to think the the Sand Lance spoon should have to pay for advertising on this site if that thread gets any bigger.

Had my first chance to use them on the west coast during our Ukee trip last month. We opened up a spring right after catching it. It was stuffed full of very fresh needle fish. So fresh in fact many where still moving. Shoulda taken a pic as it was pretty cool to see. I laid my Nog Needle along side one and they where pretty much exactly the same length. Tossed it 5 or 6 feet behind my flasher and proceed to catch fish on it.

Was cool to see the fish it was modeled after right along side it and then catch fish on it.Some of the fish had nothing but herring in them yet still took the "Nog".
So Ya they work.

Sounds like there are some people having great success with the lure! The Iron Needle is still growing as a product and meeting various challenges is part of the process and often part of the delays with development.
Unfortunately new stock will not be available until later this year, likely well into winter. Come spring a full armada will be available including two smaller sizes, built with the same quality as the large 6" model.

Those wishing to get their hands on the few remaining lures are best advised to call one of our local retailers, listed on the Iron Needle website.

I hope everyone is getting some lines down this summer and enjoying our beautiful West Coast. Tight lines, calm waters, fish on!

Nick @ Iron Needle

Back