Repowering with Twins, Yammi or Suzy?

J-GLOBAL

Repowering from a single Yamaha 350 to twin 200s on a Kingfisher 2825 (5000 lbs)
Transom Max Weight 1200lbs, Max horsepower 450

Anyone have any advice choosing between the Yamaha F200 inline 4s (487 lbs) vs. Suzuki DF200APs (496 lbs)?

J-Global- you might look at twin Evinrude ETEC G2 200's. I just bought one and has surpassed all my expectations. Had yamahas for 25 years and I still think they are good engines. The power, fuel efficiency and technology of the new G2 is incredible.

Have heard about the G2s, but want to stay 4 stroke.

The mercs are nice looking units now also, and lots of places around for support. Inlet marine may be a good option for ya as they are just up the inlet at Reed point. Would be easy for services

most important, where are you going to fish?

Seriously, check out the Mercs as you will be fishing near one of the best dealers in Canada

Seriously, check out the Mercs as you will be fishing near one of the best dealers in Canada

Not going Vrod.

Already narrowed it to Yamaha vs Suzuki

Not going Vrod.

Already narrowed it to Yamaha vs Suzuki
I would have to agree with Fishtofino, if he is referring to Mercury Varado
Adding, I would chose any 4Stroke Yamaha over any Optimax. When you say Vrod are you referring to the Verado? However, if you have already decided between the two - Yamaha!

Voting for Suzuki! Ever hear anything bad about them? No. I hear of more things recently with Yamaha, however - They are a vast majority of outboards out there. Parts are expensive too.

Have a DF 140, which is proven basically bulletproof, heard of some with 6000+ Hours on them even :O

Comes down to service, who is closest to you and will give you the best customer service as a dealer.

I like the new E-tech, good dealer no major service that you can't do yourself for 500 hours!

It is a "personal preference" and is kind of like trying to decide what car you want to buy and is really is a personal preference!

Do your research and think about, what you want. D
o you want to buy the world's most reliable car (Toyota -Mercury Verato)? Or, maybe theworld's top selling car (Ford Focus - Yamaha)? Or, even the world's cheapest car (Tata Nano)? And no, I would never suggest Suzuki is by any means the world's cheapest marine engine! I am sure it is not! :)

I personally would NOT suggest any marine engine is bulletproof or would even get close to 6000+ hours, as that surely would depend on use and maintenance. I would suggest:

"The average marine gasoline engine runs for 1,500 hours before needing a major overhaul. The average marine diesel engine will run for more than three times that long and log an average 5,000 hours under the same conditions. The number of hours that a marine engine runs is very dependent on the amount and quality of maintenance over the years."
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/enginelife.htm

If interested and are after reliability - go "diesel"?
Other than that, just go with what YOU decide YOU want and like? :)

Doublepost

Last edited by a moderator:
Diesel isn't really an option.

Yamaha or Suzuki, neither has a dealer in Tofino where I am all summer. Suzy is in Bamfield & Port (Breakers, and I've had good experience with them), Yamaha in Port. In Vancouver where it winters there are both.

Right now I'm leaning towards Suzy, mostly because of the great experience I have with the Suzy I have on my other boat; DF 140 that has been flawless to close to 500 hours.

That being said, both my kickers are HT Yammis; an 8 and a 9.9 that have run better and better the more hours they have on them. Found both vibrated more when they were newer.

What concerns me a bit about the Suzy's is that they are "new" in their lineup.

The Yamaha's are a tad lighter.

Bad experiences with Merc keep me away from that brand for now, although I don't have any really recent experience with Mercs so may just be my historical bias...

Bad experiences with Merc keep me away from that brand for now, although I don't have any really recent experience with Mercs so may just be my historical bias...

I think this is a pretty general conception with quite a few people. IMO Merc has really stepped up in the last few years and they have the best corrosion warranty in the business.

Those new 200 Zukes look really interesting and have some decent displacement too boot. I think most of the new outboards are pretty good now a days. Good luck with the decision and purchase.

Cheers,
John

I think this is a pretty general conception with quite a few people. IMO Merc has really stepped up in the last few years and they have the best corrosion warranty in the business.

Those new 200 Zukes look really interesting and have some decent displacement too boot. I think most of the new outboards are pretty good now a days. Good luck with the decision and purchase.

Cheers,
John

X2...
and there really is a very valid reason "Mercury" had "Yamaha" build their engines until Mercury came out with their Verado! It is called, at that time... Yamaha had a supior engine! :)

Yamaha had the better 4 stroke technology vs. the competition (back then) and still does to some extent Ie: Arctic cat buys all 4 strokes for there sleds through Yami because they built a better motor than Arctic Cat could (OEM Suzuki motors).

LOL, never seen diesel outboard
Quote "If interested and are after reliability - go "diesel"? "

you should take a second look at the G2 all new redesigned and has a ton of torque, no smoke, etc... and Kingfisher sign a dealer deal with them last year in 2014 there was 20 new OEM's and 78 new dealers. 2 for BC one on the island and one on the mainland.

all new motors are good just depends on your opinion, or who is closer for maintenance. Fish Assassins new merc looks great, the new merc pro looks great. Employee is from Australia and all they see down under is...... Suzuki.

I think all modern 4 strokes are good, look for best price and nearest dealer support. Also weight of the outboard vs hp. i like yamaha and Suzuki I don't really like the black colour with salt water but that's not a big deal.

Once you've had black you never go back. lol :cool:

Had good service from Breakers/Suzuki since 2006. Good support and they do stand behind the product when things go wrong...and every engine manufacturer has issues that bite them at times. Its how they respond when those things happen that separates the men from the boys. I had a very bad experience in the 90's from Merc, and their attitude dealing with me was horrible. Basically told me that as a commercial operator I had no warranty even though the engine had less than 100 hours on it. Their attitude was we own the market on the west coast and don't much care what a few guides think of our product. Well, I figure in all those years I've probably told a few thousand people what crapy service looks like. So out of principle I can't even look at a merc product...which I'm sure are just as good as anyone else. Attitude and support service is what really matters.

LOL, never seen diesel outboard
Obliviously, you have never been to southeast asia or down under? LOL

They have been making diesel outboards, FOR YEARS! If you haven't seen a diesel outboard - Just Google "Yamaha diesel outboard"! LOL

:)

Back