2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Thanks a lot guys.
Appreciate all the input.
Hoping all goes well. 15lb average for me and my family will be just fine.
Bought quite a few flash flies as I heard they were the ticket as well.
Didn't have any luck with them in the Ucluelet, but will give them a good go this time round.
Will post when I get back.
Cheers

Hi guys! Just got back from my first trip to fishin the inside at Nootka area. Fishin was good, but was a very long to make that trip in one day. While there seen lots of places where simple accommodations may be possible. Maybe next year could stay somewhere in one of those places and put a few days in and do some more exploring.. Can anyone help me in getting in contact with someone and possibly arranging for place to stay?? Simple bed and place to moor boat and bbq would be great..

Thanks

Critter cove is hard to beat. They have cabin rooms that are pretty much a bed and a toilet. They come with moorage. Everything you need, fuel, food, bait, gear, ice, fish cooler storage, and family style service that can't be beat.

3 minutes to camel rock where most of our fish came from this year.

I am reading that ghost color in the flash fly is doing well this year, however, I can not find one called ghost. Does anyone have the color number??? thanks in advance

Buy the white flash fly, don't know if this is the "ghost" one, assuming it is, but regardless one of the best lures going.

I bought a couple of the white flash flies. they look good. hope they work as well as the creamier off white fly....
the one we used was the Jensen flash fly 4 everglo ghost. it really glows bright in the dark. the other one I haven't tried yet is a brighter white. it's labelled as Jensen flash fly 4 everglo No See Um. it has a couple of glow beads but doesn't seem to glow as much as the Ghost... it was also a buck fifty cheaper than the Ghost.
they are labelled in small print on the barcode sticker...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok it was the everglo ghost ones that I was talking about, never seen another white ish one and not listed on luhrs site, might be old stock. The ghost ones are awesome, pink glo ones work well too.

Just back from 2 days in Nootka-fishing was good-602 white hootchy-did notice it took an 8 ft leader on anchovy's to get serious notice-last week 6 ft was good-not so yesterday. Fished there for 20 + years-still can't figure why they will take a flash fly or 602 hootchy on a 42 to 48 inch tie yet absolutely refuse an anchovy on a 6 ft tie. Seen it many times but can't get my head around it. Bigger fish seem to be at Camel-we stayed away from there and in a lot of ways the fishing was better but definitely smaller than at camel. Stop the Insanity at the Gold River Ramp!!! LOL

I noticed the same things you did Spring Fever. We did fairly well out in the deeper water between San Carlos Point and Camel Rock. We couldn't get a sniff when using long leaders. once we shortened up to 38 and 40" it was like someone turned the switch on... I think they liked more movement on the bait... we had 5 packs of anchovies and didn't get one fish with them that I can recall... and we used them for 2 days on one rod. flashfly on the other rod was taking fish fairly steady.... went to a white hootchie with tinsel skirt and short leader and it started to fish just about as well as the flashfly.... also noticed the fish were bigger near camel rock. saw alot of smaller fish being brought in in different areas.

Just got back after a 6 day trip to Nootka. Early last week things were slower, but, by mid week things turned on and by Wednesday the early morning bite was a couple of hours for limits. We fished anchovies normally 42 ft between 6-8 a.m. and that was producing our best results. We used 5 ft leaders and found them very effective. Betsy flashers and anchovy holders seemed to be producing best for us. Got off shore only a couple of hours and didn't get a thing at Bajo. Same comments I heard from others Bajo isn't producing as well as normal. Lots of Humpback whales around the Sound. A lot of boats were fishing between Camel and Tuta Marina each day. I counted 70 one morning. Weather was ok, but, had a couple of days of fog/light rain which restricted us heading off shore. Wind picked up as well Friday making it difficult to get out. Oh, and I heard several guys talking Tuna. Some had been out mid last week.

Just finished 7 days in Nootka. Fishing overall was great. Little slow early in the week, but turned on by Wednesday. Fish size was overall small but did find pockets of bigger fish, largest was 25 pds. Fished Camel and H Point. Lots of coloured, small springs on the gold river side of Camel. Seemed to find bigger, fresher fish on Critter Cove side. Ran 6-7 ft anchovie and glow hootchies. Glow hootchies really turned on later in the week and out produced bait...48 inch leader with uv/glow flasher, green or purple blade. 30 to 50 ft on riggers worked. 2.3 to 2.5 speed. Also got into some nice coho and bottom rock fish on the outside. Looks like it is going to be a good coho run this year. Really bad weather through on the outside and boat got pounded. Hooked 3 buts. Good luck to those arriving this weekend.

We're heading out there this coming weekend (Thurs-Sun)!! Anyone else who is going to be out there at the same time? Kinda looking for someone out there to compare notes with.

Buddy just back on Friday from 4 days in nootka-esperenza. Did well caught/released 25 springs and 4 Coho. All had great color still. Alright sit down for tho one...... Purple hootchie. 35-50 feet down in 60-100' water

We're heading out there this coming weekend (Thurs-Sun)!! Anyone else who is going to be out there at the same time? Kinda looking for someone out there to compare notes with.
Going out there Thursday probably arrive late Friday. I'll be in the oldest boat out there .camping at cougar creek.
Buddy just back on Friday from 4 days in nootka-esperenza. Did well caught/released 25 springs and 4 Coho. All had great color still. Alright sit down for tho one...... Purple hootchie. 35-50 feet down in 60-100' water

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Going We'd to Sun. At Tuta. Fishing in a 16 ft Naden, happy to converse! Hoping it stays solid, first time out there.

Out there Friday to Sunday as well... I'll be monitoring 88a if anyone wants to talk ( or let me know a better channel)

Running out to Critter Cove tomorrow, but debating if Gold river is the best Launch point. I hear that it can kick up pretty bad going that route in the afternoon. Does anybody have some first hand knowledge of the best times to run it / Avoid?

Running out to Critter Cove tomorrow, but debating if Gold river is the best Launch point. I hear that it can kick up pretty bad going that route in the afternoon. Does anybody have some first hand knowledge of the best times to run it / Avoid?
early morning is best-depends on the size of your boat-21 + will almost never be stopped-maybe slow but usually doable-less than 21 I would say avoid 11am onward. Been doing it for 20+years

Back