2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Booked Moutcha for the first week of Aug...already starting to warm the blood. Missed out in it last year (tied up in Rupert & Ukee) so this one will mean even more. Will start vibrating by early July...can't wait.

you will have a great time. Is it your first visit?

When would westview be receiving its first shipment of fuel of the season?
John left Baja 5 days ago on the first-the fuel was ordered and he said he would be up and running on the 12th with fuel(comes in by road). The restaurant will not be full menu right away but will be open. That's as much as I know but I am pretty sure John will have fuel on the 12th. Hope that helps.

John left Baja 5 days ago on the first-the fuel was ordered and he said he would be up and running on the 12th with fuel(comes in by road). The restaurant will not be full menu right away but will be open. That's as much as I know but I am pretty sure John will have fuel on the 12th. Hope that helps.

Helps alittle, wondering if the fuel truck is filling the tanks? Would help with the leftover fuel from last year.

I'll probably just bring my own. I had a half tank when I left in Sept. I was trying to use not water down fuel.

Can't wait to yell "fish on"

Id bring some octane boost for that half tank mixed with premium... john runs midgrade but if you filled up at esperenza last its reg. fuel. I'd imagine John would have those tanks pretty much dry from end of season....

Ya I was thinking of a 45 gal drum with premium and a half gallon of paint thinner. That should boost the old fuel.

Ya I was thinking of a 45 gal drum with premium and a half gallon of paint thinner. That should boost the old fuel.

Hi Guys
Cathy & I are almost back at the Marina. Visiting with 4 grand kids today, on Island tomorrow. Full FRESH tank of Mid-grade gas gets delivered Monday 3/9. We open Thursday March 12. Gas, Tackle, Moorage, Bait, Lodging, Coffee, Beer all available. See you soon.
Word is prawning is GREAT & a few winter springs are being caught.
Westview's 23 Season WOW!!
FOJ

Can anyone tell me when the commercial prawning starts inside Nootka/Esperanza,in the inlets? Date would be appreciated ! Thanks.

Hi Bullwinkle
We are back at the Marina & open for Business. Several boats are out chasing PRAWNS. The one boat that returned so far scored big with 400 Spot Prawns.
DFO is telling us that Commercial Prawning will begin on May 15, 2015.
So come get your PRAWNS NOW-- after 3/15 there will be so many commercial traps in the water that you will want to spend your time Catching Halibut, Ling Cod & early run Columbia River Chinook.
We will check with DFO again to confirm the 3/15 date & report Back.
FOJ

THANKS John ! see you in a couple weeks if all goes as planned! Hope you and Kathy are doing good, I've been getting buckets for you,only a few at a time but plenty to get to stocked for a while. .

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...und&highlight=Detailed+Info+Fish+Nootka+Sound

Some may find the attached link to a post MyEscape put up 8 years ago of value. I appreciate him sharing this information and have found it useful in shaping my understanding of the area over the last 10 years.
I hope a lot of guys found the article I wrote at least 10 years ago helpful. I wrote it for salmon Univ.com because I had talked to Tom from that site when I met him in WH at The Last Resort. Brought back a lot of memories just reading through it. Be careful though not all areas listed there are now legal to fish and some techniques have changed. Not all people were happy when I posted that but it's like anything else-it's just a starting point, technique perseverance and luck put fish in the boat. To be truthful 2 years after I had that published I moved my fishing to Winter Harbour cause it got too crowded for me in Nootka. Still go back a couple of times a year-study the journals and use those same charts-and its still Good!!

Thanks SF. Didn't know you were the author. Well written and personally was very helpful when I started exploring the area. And, yes, its just a guide and people need to know current regs of course.

I hope a lot of guys found the article I wrote at least 10 years ago helpful. I wrote it for salmon Univ.com because I had talked to Tom from that site when I met him in WH at The Last Resort. Brought back a lot of memories just reading through it. Be careful though not all areas listed there are now legal to fish and some techniques have changed. Not all people were happy when I posted that but it's like anything else-it's just a starting point, technique perseverance and luck put fish in the boat. To be truthful 2 years after I had that published I moved my fishing to Winter Harbour cause it got too crowded for me in Nootka. Still go back a couple of times a year-study the journals and use those same charts-and its still Good!!

Very good article and YES it is still good to this day! :)

Yes, thank you! We used it this past summer.

Yes Spring Fever, very good article for sure. I'm sure there are lots of people that garnered some very useful information from that article as well I am sure that there are some that had limited success with the information given. As others have said, you have to know how to fish to catch them consistently. If not you are relying on luck and that only gets you so far with salmon fishing. However that was a very interesting read and I enjoyed it, thank you.

Pescador Thanks for putting Spring Fever's article out there. Lots of GOOD stuff in there. Yes the fishing/catching remains STRONG in Nootka.
Yes the regulations are different today than they were 10 yrs. ago especially the mouth of Nootka Sound for Both Chinook & Coho. Check them out before venturing out.

Mike mentioned that after his article Nootka got a little too crowed. Yes it happened I was there, it was quite a change.
Some fishers pulled out of the area. I for one went just North to Esperanza Inlet. In those day hardly anyone from out of the local area fished the inside waters of Esperanza & often there were very few boats at The Pins,High Rocks, Yellow Bluff, The Whistle Buoy, Catala Island, Double Island, Centre Island, Rosa Harbour & the World Famous Ferrer Pt.
That has changed somewhat over the years Especially at Ferrer Pt. BUT it is fair to say that there are certainly Less boat per hector fishing in Esperanza than in Nootka. Also according to DFO records over the past 4 years the Salmon Catch per unit of effort has been consistently higher in Esperanza. Which mean fishers in Esperanza are Catching more fish for the time on the water. Could be a result of the Esperanza Fishers are better Fishers But most likely they are encountering More Chinook & Coho as they come off Brooks Peninsula moving south STOPPING at the mouth of Esperanza to FEED.

Don't get me wrong Nootka is also a GREAT place to catch Salmon. When that Conuma Hatchery run starts moving in the fishing/catching i is HOT!!!.

Fishing out of Tahsis gives us the benefit of both areas. It is only a 20 minute run down the Tahsis inlet to Nootka. Then a right Or left turn depending on where in the Sound the hatchery run has staged itself that day. On July 15th it's a near sure bet that the Chinook will be stacked up at Coopte Point right at the mouth of Tahsis Inlet where it enters Nootka.
On calm days most boats head out Esperanza way simply because the Salmon fishing is more productive. On windy days they head down to Nootka it's just that simple. No Missed Fishing Days.

All in All We are very fortunate to have Area 25/125 Esperanza & Nootka literally at our doorstep to enjoy some of the BEST SALMON fishing/catching in all of BC.

See You SOON. It is stacking up to be a GREAT SEASON.
FOJ

WCVI Herring Report. Nootka/Esperanza

Just walked off the the docks. Pat & Scott Just came in with a report of lots of pre-spawning herring activity at the Rolling Roadstead on the main land/north side behind Catala Is. They also had a pair of chicken Halibut 25 & 31lbs Caught in the same area near a drop off.
There will be NO Commercial Herring Fishing in Area 25 this yr.
However there is lots of Pre-Spawning Activity. Birds ,Sea Lions, Seal.
There was a DFO Fly over this past Tuesday. Lots of Herring but NO spawning yet.
Herring are mostly stacked at the mouth of Esperanza inlet- at Nuchatlitz, Rosa Harbour, Garden Pt.,

Halibut & Ling Cod seem to be moving in for the up coming feast. Several hali. & a few ling on the cleaning tables today. Prawns are still going STRONG.
Looks like a GOOD season of Catching ahead.
Make it a great day.
FOJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Back