Sidney Reports 2015

Tried Wain Rock and Satellite channel for a three hours yesterday, dragged up a 20lb Hali but other than that no nibbles. Pulled gear and ripped over to Sidney channel and powder wharf for another hrs. and nothing.

Pulling a halibut from that area is pretty damn rare, first I've EVER heard of halibut in that area. Spill the beans, where did find it?

Coming around the corner from wain into satellite. I thought I was hung up on someone's trap so didn't think much of it until the trap started fighting back. About 120-145 feet of water.

I have heard the area around the rocks down the channel toward Piers Island have some small hali that lurk there. Just stay out of the way of the ferry and prepare to ride the traffic waves.

It was pretty windy on the Vic waterfront so I took my boys out to Sidney on Saturday for a picnic on the spit and a bit of a fish. We dropped the lines beforehand for a couple of hours in Sidney Channel. After an hour and a half without a bite I was thinking it was time to head for the picnic. Was giving it another few minutes when the pin popped, I grabbed the rod and it was a good one. Jasper yells and I look over to see the other rod going. Double header was on! I put the first rod in the holder to attend to the other rod and make sure it was out of the clip.....adjusted drag and back into the holder and back to the original rod. That turned out to be the right call and played a beautiful 23lb red spring to the net and in the boat. The other fish was still pounding away. Luckily the wind had really picked up at this point which had pushed the boat and kept some pressure on the rod. This one was about a 10lb hatch which I released beside the boat since we already had plenty of meat to take home. Both fish caught on sandlance spoons behind Peetz flashers. 30" leader for both. Then we had a great picnic on the spit. Thanks to the fellow angler that helped me retrieve my boat that was drifting quite quickly towards an anchored yacht in the wind after I forgot to tie the anchor rope to the cleat! Oops! Took home 4 nice dungees for dinner too! Great day!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Fished Fairfax Point through the ebb yesterday - nada - it was a wasteland out there: no birds, no feed, nothing showing on the fish finder. Hope these big tides move some fish in.

It was pretty windy on the Vic waterfront so I took my boys out to Sidney on Saturday for a picnic on the spit and a bit of a fish. We dropped the lines beforehand for a couple of hours in Sidney Channel. After an hour and a half without a bite I was thinking it was time to head for the picnic. Was giving it another few minutes when the pin popped, I grabbed the rod and it was a good one. Jasper yells and I look over to see the other rod going. Double header was on! I put the first rod in the holder to attend to the other rod and make sure it was out of the clip.....adjusted drag and back into the holder and back to the original rod. That turned out to be the right call and played a beautiful 23lb red spring to the net and in the boat. The other fish was still pounding away. Luckily the wind had really picked up at this point which had pushed the boat and kept some pressure on the rod. This one was about a 10lb hatch which I released beside the boat since we already had plenty of meat to take home. Both fish caught on sandlance spoons behind Peetz flashers. 30" leader for both. Then we had a great picnic on the spit. Thanks to the fellow angler that helped me retrieve my boat that was drifting quite quickly towards an anchored yacht in the wind after I forgot to tie the anchor rope to the cleat! Oops! Took home 4 nice dungees for dinner too! Great day!

View attachment 18458View attachment 18461View attachment 18465

What a great story, great photos too!

Was out this morning from 5:30 - 9:30. Trolled the Powder Wharf and landed a 15 pound Spring on a green/silver Coho Killer following a Purple Haze flasher. Caught at 76 in 110 ft just south of the wharf and 6am. No more bites but a beauty day! Only two other boats out there but don't know if they caught.

UPDATE: Fished Coal, Fairfax and Hamley on 2 different days this week. Hamley had the most fish on the sounder. Landed one at Hamley at the tide change. Guys at Coal in a Grady said they got one in the boat there. A ThunderJet at Fairfax said they had one in the boat there.

Caught a mid teen jigging this afternoon, lost another and watched one follow my jig right to the surface.

Nothing on the troll.

Red can and surrounding area. Needlefish everywhere.

Yup nailed three got one in around powder wharf. Double header was too much to handle with two tiny kids in the boat. None the less great day best company ever my kids amd the wife notta to complain about. Tight lines all

Jigged up another teen this morning. Got bored but was convinced there was more fish so towed some plugs and hit one in short order on a uv 602.

Max loves jigging.....finally

Aimed for the slack at around 5pm and went to Coal Island, no luck there. Moved on to the Powder Wharf. After an hour I had only dogfish, and 99 had only baby sole, and a bullhead. Not optimistic, since it is always 99's idea to mooch. Never before caught a salmon jigging, but yesterday caught 2 in the course of 15 minutes. One 15lb, one 8lb, both red hatchery springs. First two-fish day since starting fishing over a year ago! 99 says to mention that I used a green-back stinger, 3oz, fish caught in 50-60 ft depth, right at the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_0110upside down.jpg
    IMG_0110upside down.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 579
Last edited by a moderator:
That's the second biggest pair of jigged up Chinooks I've ever seen. Good thinking Max. Did you use your shoe phone to find the spot?

Back