Sidney Reports 2015

Kind of a crappy fishing report but...
Was out yesterday. Trolled Powder Wharf and Coal Island at the tide changes-no luck. Jigged zero rock and Wain rock-no luck.
Last week. Trolled Pender Bluffs-no luck.
All boats in the area-no luck as we didn't see any nets or action amongst us.
On a better note-cleaned up on crab both days at the spit.
As I live on the Peninsula, I would love to be able to go out fishing off Sidney and come home with a fish, but it seems the catching part of the fishing is getting less each year out of Sidney.
I am very open to suggestions from those that are successful each time they go out in Sidney. PM me if you wish.
Maybe I am missing something, but have quite a few fishing years under my belt, and can't seem to make it happen like I do out in Sooke, Oak Bay, Constance area.
Details I am interested in from a seasoned Sidney "catcher". Leader lengths, colors, flashers, lures, depth of tackle, depth of water, and locations for this time of year.
Thanks all for your posts.
Tight lines.

Went out yesterday with the kids and wife; first time for them in the boat. No fish seen or caught around hambley point, crabbing down by the dock end of james island road no legals or males :( spent nearly an hour searching for our traps they were in 65 feet of water and 100 feet of line yet the egg floats were under water man that was crazy. All of in all nice weather kids had a great time and all is good. I think sidney will definitely be on the preferred locations this summer with the kids. Does anyone know if th pinks go through sidney?

Went out yesterday with the kids and wife; first time for them in the boat. No fish seen or caught around hambley point, crabbing down by the dock end of james island road no legals or males :( spent nearly an hour searching for our traps they were in 65 feet of water and 100 feet of line yet the egg floats were under water man that was crazy. All of in all nice weather kids had a great time and all is good. I think sidney will definitely be on the preferred locations this summer with the kids. Does anyone know if th pinks go through sidney?

can't speak to the pinks, but the coho will run by Pender in October.

IMG_0147.jpgFished Sidney on Monday. Tried hali fishing for a couple of hours, nothing. Then moved on to salmon fishing around the Powder Wharf. Nothing again. Decided to go up to Coal Island. Trolled around for 45 minutes, too many weeds and decided to go with the ebb towards Sidney Island. I was down at 100 ft in 115 ft of water. I had a fish on, it took off and then nothing. I dragged this guy up and we boated him quickly as my 30 pound test could only last so long! 122cm, 48 pounds. I have had a dry spell, 8 months and 8 days since my last fish, boy, was it worth it!! Xena

Awesome fish, Xena - especially on that gear!

I trolled Powder Wharf and Coal Island for a few hours on the weekend. Nothing but a rock fish. Interesting that there are good salmon reports out of the northern gulf islands but not much down Sidney way.

Lots of bait around sidney/ Darcy Island area before low tide. Marked lots of balls with larger fish underneath. Still no love. Was a sea trial for me though so didn't work it as hard as I could.
Love the new chirp sonar, so much more below you than you think.

View attachment 18114Fished Sidney on Monday. Tried hali fishing for a couple of hours, nothing. Then moved on to salmon fishing around the Powder Wharf. Nothing again. Decided to go up to Coal Island. Trolled around for 45 minutes, too many weeds and decided to go with the ebb towards Sidney Island. I was down at 100 ft in 115 ft of water. I had a fish on, it took off and then nothing. I dragged this guy up and we boated him quickly as my 30 pound test could only last so long! 122cm, 48 pounds. I have had a dry spell, 8 months and 8 days since my last fish, boy, was it worth it!! Xena

Xena,

Took a look at the Sydney thread as discussed at the coho clip event today. That is an astonishing fish to get on the troll!! Absolutely terrific. And well deserved after that wait......

(The only hali I have ever caught trolling weighed a puny 11lbs....LOL)

Thanks Englishman! yes, quite a fish, a couple of runs, I was using the old Peetz small reel so I got a good knuckle buster too! We sure enjoyed the coho clip event. It was great to talk to a few of the guys, I know their handle, now I have a face to the name! Tight Lines my friend, Zee

Fished the powder wharf after work today in the tinner. My buddy caught this hatch spring jigging with a Macdeep! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432103017.795404.jpg

Nice catch. We fished Powder Wharf and Hambley earlier in the day and not a sniff. Current was strong off Hambley and tons of weeds and kelp. Nice day on the water though.

No love jigging the powder wharf for a couple hours this morning. A few needlefish around though....

A friend told me that I should post regardless of my results. No love for me either. Jigged at powder wharf, then headed to Coal Island for some trolling. Released a lovely Ling, only 45cms. One bonus,4 keeper crab off the Spit, great lunch!! Zee

Sunday, May 24 - Trolled Hambley w 3 other boats 3:00 - 6:00. Not a nibble. Talked to a guy who got an 18 off the Spit on Saturday, a few halibut being cleaned. I assume things are pretty slow around Sidney since there are few reports?

Tried Wain Rock and Satellite channel for a three hours yesterday, dragged up a 20lb Hali but other than that no nibbles. Pulled gear and ripped over to Sidney channel and powder wharf for another hrs. and nothing.

Agreed^^ Fishing those waters all my life and only heard of a handful of hali caught over the years.Your a lucky man
there Chumbawumba!

Back