2015 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Early September will be good for sure, later in the month should be good as well but the rains will decide. If we get heavy rains in September the Chinook really get moving. How ever the Coho fishing should be good right into October. I like fishing in September and October even if it gets slower because the fish are big both Coho and Chinook and the mob of boats are gone. August so far is red hot and a blast!

Just rolled into Is. West parking lot. Holly Hannah is the rain coming down. My rain gear is in my boat, and my boat's in the storage yard. I think I'll retrieve it and launch a little later. Fishing Sun-Wed, will post a report or two.

Big Bank is still good despite the Area G plug opening and 30 or so trollers working out there. They may get their quota of 7500 pieces (area 123 to Cape Scott) quickly and be out of there. They are not back at the Ukee dock as I type so another day or two maybe. Lots of fish came from the Turtle head Saturday afternoon, including a pair off 30s for one boat, so many started there this morning, including me. I released a 10lber, trolled around past Outside South, released another small one. Got bored and ran to the NW corner of Amphitrite Bank(Lighthouse) to see if I could troll up a hali like Sculpin did in his photo. No hali, but I got an 18 and a 27 off the bottom. White turd and yamashita #153 cuttlefish got the bigger fish. Lost a few over that way as well. SWC also had a good bite between 12:00 and 2:00. I rolled one anchovy at about 100' for 30 mins, which came up in pristine condition. Not really a normal thing some summers in Ukee. My spoon and plug collection are idle, as the rubber seems to be working well. Maybe tomorrow I'll switch it up and let the benchwarmers play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good report tubber! It was good to read after our day.
Got into town yesterday, the marked fuel at the co-op was low octane, our reserved slip was too small, went to the fuel dock and found they were out of gas.....
We will get there..

Got two nice springs near the steep edge today. I went out there to try to troll up a halibut, and only caught 20+lb salmon and some smaller ones. Life is tough. I thought I might have one when something sounded hard after a dull fight, when my hand slipped off the reel in the pouring rain, eventually I had the gaff ready when I caught a glimpse of brown and the flasher was shaking at the surface. Turned out to be about a 12 pound rock hooked on some bottom growth. It bit a white turd.

Nice to hear all the good reports. Just back from great trip around the Ukee area. Did well at South bank when wind would let us fish. Springs were 15-25 lb mix . Black & Silver red eye Hoochie out fished bait for us. Caught a few Hali there as well.
Big bank was great as most times. Caught our Hali & some springs in 30lb range. Lot's of Coho & Pink's out there too. Same hoochie. Finished trip at Effingham with some good size Coho. Fish were real scrapers .
My rookie crew lost 15 on Sat but managed to land 7 nice ones 8-12 lbs . Orange Tiger Prawn spoon & Orange & yellow spoon were Hot. 25'-50' . Some nice Springs there too. Had to release some big onces in the 90cm range. We had a very powerful fish rattle my buddies knuckles & snap the main line. Hope he learns after that one . It Hurt for a day. LoL.
Tight lines Boy's
Cheers Slick

just back from a few days off Ukee. Evening bite thurs at turtle head out towards adipose , my rookie crew got our limits of springs up to 18 lbs, one 6 lb hatchery coho, Went out Friday, weather was good so joined the masses at rats nose, did very well out there , all at 135 and deeper, springs up to 17-18 lbs again, and limits on hatchery coho. threw back quite a few small springs and cohos' One ho was 11 lbs... Tried jigging, and hooked something that left skid marks on my palm as the line ran. Did not get it in, in the insuing tug of war. Sat, wind and mooson washed us out by noon, only one hatchery coho, agin ral deep. North of turtles head, massive algae bloom came in, water , murky and beige colour, and muck sticking to lines, Sunday , wind eased enuff to get back to rats nose, Couldn't keep cohos off, no springs. Friend 1.5 mi away no cohos just springs.. oh well, came in to dock and as CROWsays, no gas left, diesel also gone. Had to head out Monday... ( I did pass the Columbia fuel truck around 1145, miles back on the road... , heading slowly to Ukee.) total, for 1st trip of the year, limits on springs, coho, no white fish... Fish all caught on white or green/white hootchies... guess I have to follow sculpin for white fish...

back at it this weekend..

SD

Got gas!

Waited until 1 pm yesterday to fuel up, but worth the wait. Nice couple of days fishing out at outside lighthouse. White double glow hoochy, and white turd 125- 145' got us about 15 hook ups. We boxed five so far with today's 21# the catch of the trip so far. (Don't want to talk about its big brother we lost at the boat....)
Taking tomorrow off will post on Thursday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 617
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 617
I see what's for dinner !!! Tasty tasty !!! Hope weather holds for U guys ! Was windy a lot for us. May the fish gods be with U !!
Have a GREAT Time up there Crow !!! Parking on stanby if U need it !
Cheers Slick

I take it you weren't trying to catch the world's largest dogfish(?)? Those are great pics! Making a good case for me to try Ukee :D

south bank today. 90 ft or bottom. 8 slabs to 32lbs. White turd or all white coyote with chart.edge 6.0 size. Rat'snose was loaded with pinks yesterday nfg. season is over for me. Epic 6 trip summer.

I thought it could have been a Salmon Shark but after some internet investigation I'm thinking it was a Tope Shark. Thing fought like crazy lol thought we had a oversize hali on the way it took line out.

They do look that blue have had a couple of Blue Sharks beside the boat this year chasing Sole on the hook. I`m positive it wasn`t a Blue Shark and is a Tope Shark.

Click here for Tope Shark if your interested--->http://www.fao.org/fishery/species/2828/en
great info UC. Thanks for that. I had never even heard about a tope shark until you mentioned it. I will be checking my shark encounters more closely in the future.

Cheers

Back