2015 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Ukee's heating up!! Evidence of squid spawn sacks on the beaches and washed up krill. Nice size Chinook being caught right now offshore with herring in their bellies. Halibut fishing in the same area's excellent, report from a guide buddy of mine as of last night he's fished the last week steady with great results!! Things are looking good I hope the trend continues.

Went out the past few days just off Ukee. Amazing fishing for Lings. All legal sized plus. nice sized snappers too. No luck with salmon but mainly targeted Lings. Back in Victoria now for a month. Where are the salmon, depth etc...

photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This past weekend was my traditional weekend towing the rig up to Salmon Beach for the summer but moving and work kept me away :(. Going to head up for the May long weekend coming up for a much needed break and give it the old college try :). Anyone been fishing the banks lately or has everyone been fishing inside?

Ukee report over on the FishTactics website reports good fishing on South and Lighthouse Banks as well as inside close to the harbour - Greatbear, Alley and Sail.

Cheers and good luck!

Ukee

Fishing has been great with lots of Chinook, Halibut and Lingcod being caught. West side of the sound and the close offshore banks have been fruitful. Below are recent catches by buddy of mine in the last couple of days while guiding. ( Long Beach Charters ) My boats getting repowed this week and will be ready for the season.

May 3, 2015.jpgIMG_20150509_192602.jpgimagejpeg_3 (3).jpg

Great looking fish there. Looks like there are a "few" nice fish out that way. I love fishing out there. What power are you putting on your boat.

A charter bud has been out pretty steady with consistent fish in the box results. They are around but during times like this if your not on them daily it would be tough for weekend warrior fishermen. Yami's I finally learned my Merc lesson lol. Some guys love Merc with good results as for myself there not for me anymore.

Fishing out of Ucluelet on the West Coast has been steady for the most part. Being early in the season, some days are exceptional and then you have other days that you have to work for your fish.
The Chinooks that we're getting are nice fish all 12 to 18 lbs on average with the odd one in the low to mid 20's.
The nice thing about this time of year is we are fishing close to the beach so you don't have to run far to get to the fishing grounds, unless you want to do some recon and try other spots that we normally fish later on in the season.
Sail Rock, Great Bear, South Bank and Lighthouse Bank have been the hot spots of late.
Fishing deep with your usual early season gear like 3.5 inch Coyote Spoons, Needlefish Hootchies and of course Anchovies will give you success.
Pick a spot and work it. A lot of action is tide related, so make sure you are on the grounds at this time and not running around chasing fish, especially at tide change.

Good luck and be safe out on the water!

Nick

Full charter packages or bring your own boat.

Catch from June 3 trip!

MM J 3.jpg

Great to see and good report ...... Good on YA !
The inside of Barkley this year so far is no comparison to kast season, hard to find the bait ....... Never seen so few boats fishing them popular inside spots as norm. Next time over we will need to travel further ...... No issue getting dome nice Halli off shore last time.

Didn't get out ourselves but talked to a couple of folks at Salmon Beach this weekend who did get out for a few hours. A little choppy out there but you could find some nice water to fish tucked behind Islands etc. One boat got 4 springs in the teens with only a couple of hours fishing near Crow Island. They were all full of squid. Heard of some flatties being caught inside as well.

The boat is finally ready to go and we'll be up there fishing for Fathers Day :).

Cheers,
Sculpin

Didn't get out ourselves but talked to a couple of folks at Salmon Beach this weekend who did get out for a few hours. A little choppy out there but you could find some nice water to fish tucked behind Islands etc. One boat got 4 springs in the teens with only a couple of hours fishing near Crow Island. They were all full of squid. Heard of some flatties being caught inside as well.

The boat is finally ready to go and we'll be up there fishing for Fathers Day :).

Cheers,
Sculpin

We will be there on Friday as well. Finally getting a chance to hunt some Flatfish and other assorted white meat. Will be at Island West for a couple nights.

Saturday was still too rough for me to go far, so I got some lings outside the Broken Group and put in a half-hearted effort of trolling from Cree to Effingham. Very quiet. Took a 2 hour nap on anchor in the sunshine. Should have tried Chrow. Sunday was better weather and everyone got fish somewhere offshore. I got my two springs trolling a straight tack from the Red Can toward Wya. Got a few more lings and a cabezon over there. Most boats went to South Bank or Long Beach, but I was back in and packing for home by 10:00. Love the early sunrise in June. Oh, I went four for 9 in Alberni on Friday, one on black hooks, knowing it was too blustery in Ukee.
Boat is there for the summer. I'll be back 4-5 more times.

Headed over this weekend, any updates??? many Thanks

Back