2015 Campbell River Reports

Anyone in the Campbell River area this spring seeing any of the bluebacks (Coho) that were around the last couple of years. Wondering if there is going to be a Northern Strait Coho fishery this summer?

I got out for a couple of hours at the green can last night and picked up 2 and missed a couple of other hits. All of the bites were between 80 and 120 ft on a cop car spoon. The biggest fish was about 20lbs and put up a good fight.

Does anyone know if Coho is open June 1st this year?

Also, is it still 2 per day, one of which can be unmarked, like last year? Has the DFO announced it yet? (I find the regulations to be very confusing.)

Two per day, hatchery marked only starting June 1st. There has been no Fishery Notice released yet this year allowing retention of an unmarked coho. Cross fingers for good numbers and it may happen.

DFO website refers you to this link for "in season decisions":

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/13-co-ch-eng.pdf

Map is for 2014 and 2015 seasons. All areas on the map coloured baby blue are two coho per day, one of which may be unmarked, starting June 1st. Looks like it applies to most of Areas 13 and 15 outside of the RCAs.

Cheers!

Ukee

That's the way it looks to me, too, but I just wanted to see that others interpret that the same way. Thanks.

I stand corrected! ...didn't realize the change carried through to this year. Good news :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished twice today, morning tide was a skunker for us, went out again a 2 and lost a salmon due to gear failure(leader broke, my fault for not replacing after multiple hook-ups) then got a nice 25 pound halibut.

I stand corrected! ...didn't realize the change carried through to this year. Good news :)

This is the problem with people asking for interpretations of regs on a forum. You might get two or more, interpretations and this can cause a lot of confusion. Its always best to phone DFO. Even tackle shops can lead you astray.

This is the problem with people asking for interpretations of regs on a forum. You might get two or more, interpretations and this can cause a lot of confusion. Its always best to phone DFO. Even tackle shops can lead you astray.

You're right. I am still not sure if the 2014/15 is just a typo on the map.

It would be best to call the DFO and that is what I intend to do.

If I find out anything, I will make a new post about it.

I googled the DFO # and it gives a Powell River phone #. They're not open until tuesday. I called the Regional office # in Vancouver and left a message. If anyone gets back to me, I will repost info.

If anyone else knows how to contact the DFO and actually talk to someone, maybe you could enlighten us all about the Coho season for Area 13 this year.

Back