2015 Campbell River Reports

Very nice. A suggestion. Seeing your crab pots on a nice piece of boat. I bought a thick rubber mat at Home Depot for floors, has holes in it. And toss that on my dog house to protect the boat.

Very nice. A suggestion. Seeing your crab pots on a nice piece of boat. I bought a thick rubber mat at Home Depot for floors, has holes in it. And toss that on my dog house to protect the boat.

Oh they don't ride there, just kicked them out of the way to take the pic.

I cover the dog house with the mat as someone will put a pot up there. Bought 2. One I tie to the rails and hang over the side to protect the boat.

That's a really good idea,Califbill.I don't have a doghouse myself (outboard) but I like your idea with the one hanging
off the side to protect the gelcoat from the metal traps.Especially if it's choppy and your getting tossed around at all!!

Saturday is looking good to get the new rig wet and salty. Any ideas? Hump? Green can? Red can? North? South?
Thanks
ThreePer

Hey guys,
Heading up this way tomorrow for a few days of fishing. What channel are most guys operating on? Give the Salty Johnston a call on 88a if you are heading out and want a report. Staying over on Cortes, so we'll be fishing over towards that area, but likely will hit the hump and other areas!
Tight lines

if you're staying on cortez, fish the bell. Just off the reef there on the west side 100-150 feet of water. Fish the depth of the bait. Sometimes 10-20 ft off the bottom. sometimes 60-90 ft. Been doing well there lately on plugs n spoons.

Dave

Great trip to Cortes/Campbell River. Good fishing at the Hump on Saturday around the low slack near noon. Had 3 to the boat with the one pictured being the biggest, about 22-23 lbs and a happy angler with his first of 2015. Well his first was about 8 but....his first real one! North side of the hump, hit two on flash chovie and 2 on a flasher hootch. Landed two on the hooch, lost one/got one on the chovie.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 614
Yes nice fish Stoisy. Looks like a pretty happy fella in the picture. Are you still fishing up there or did you just fish the one day.

Between 160-180 was our most productive depths and we were dragging bottom or very close to it. Lots of Pac Cod to deal with but it was worth it! fished Friday down near Savary/Texada and then yesterday morning near the Hump, and unfortunately some funky motor issues took us off the water... And the fish taped out to 27lbs...bigger than I thought!

PICT0011.jpg I found the place of the piture of the cover page of SFBC site,north discovery passage looking at Mt Waddingtonl. Landed a 20# spring and some bottom fish for opening weeekend ,cut plug,50' ,90 feet trolling, 1undersize spring released .PICT0009.jpgi will in next day be cropping from video.CLIP0011-008.jpgCLIP0011-003.jpgCLIP0011-004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished a 200' contour around Sentry Shoal on the rising tide yesterday afternoon. Numerous strikes and 3 nice fish in the boat. 165-185' on the downrigger, green glow and orange flashers with army truck hootchies.

View attachment 17950 I found the place of the piture of the cover page of SFBC site,north discovery passage looking at Mt Waddingtonl. Landed a 20# spring and some bottom fish for opening weeekend ,cut plug,50' ,90 feet trolling, 1undersize spring released .View attachment 17951i will in next day be cropping from video.View attachment 17952View attachment 17953View attachment 17954

Thats awesome. Thanks for sharing
Will be launching in CR in the morning and heading up that way and around Sonora ..try a little prawning and such for the day..

ill be on the water at tail end of the ebb. Drift the hump for a bit, then maybe head to green can at tide change. We will see what happens, supposed to blow northwest 15 to 20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prawns were a bust for me in the 2 spots i had set traps up around East side Sonora Is...
we were rewarded with a nice catch of crabs a limit of good sized lings and rock fish..did not target any salmon
Beauty day on the water

Saturday we did the early morning at the green can during the end of the ebb and landed one on a 602 plug/lost one on the black+white hootchie. Ran up towards Toba and got one more on a anchovy. Hump fish was red, Toba fish was white.

Back