2015 Gulf Islands Reports

Going to Porlier in the morning. Should have the lines in the water by 5:30 hopefully. If the water cooperates then it might be a good day. Hoping for some fish too!

Tried to fish east side of galiano, got tossed around like a pancake, then out if the blue, my engine died, and the shifter was stuck in gear(so I couldn't start it) what a great time for that to happen... Made it safely to miners bay, got it fixed, fished the west side without success... There was lots of seaweed that looked like bites...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wind was not cooperative at Porlier. We did one tack before one of my crew wasn't feeling good. Called it pretty early due to the strong waves, both riggers, lines, flashers, and lures, were covered in weeds when we brought them up. Was hoping for a little more, but alas, that's how it goes some times.

Sounds pretty scary FisherTim. I always worry that problems are gonna show their dirty little heads on days like today. Blargh!! Hopefully fathers day is better.e

We didn't get outside Porlier today - too rough for us. We trolled around the NW corner of Galiano instead, in Trincomali. Marked lots of bait but no salmon. FisherTim wasn't the only boat with problems today. I watched a sailboat smack one of the rocks on the south side or Porlier. It sounded awful! I guess the skipper figured everything was ok because he continued on out into the Strait.

tough fishing condition on sunday for us as well. Had one guy get sea sick and had some kids on board so we only fished salamanca for 1.5 hours on Sunday. Was a bit of a washing machine out there. We did get one good hit but I couldn't get back to the rod in time and missed it. Other than that we dragged up a couple rockfish and that's about it. Didn't mark a ton of bait out there either. Will try again this coming weekend and hoping to put in a few good shifts as opposed to midday 2 hour sessions.

Hey everyone. 2nd year boat owner and fisherman here. Trying to play catch up with all the info here. Seems like a great forum and group sharing info.
Heading to Pender Island June 25-28 with the wifey and want to get some fishing in. Reading about the bluffs so I'll give that a try. Any help selecting gear and tips appreciated. Would like to try out my new rod/reel with a ling or two. Where might I chase these?

Cheers, Kirk

The Pender bluffs are pretty consistent for salmon but don't seem to produce any ling cod. If you are fishing in the area, also be aware of the many Rockfish Conservation areas near Pender, Moresby, and most of the other southern Gulf Islands.

If you have down riggers, fishing the bluffs between the two white stains (bird ****) usually produces. Anchovies, spoons, or hootchies will all work. 80 - 120 feet is a good place to start.

@carpeweekend, thanx for the info.

I'll have to review RCA for restrictions.
I'll be sporting all three with my single DR. Picked up a few more pieces of gear.
Looks like a rather steep drop off, are guys up tight to the bluff or farther out?

I would recommend tight to the bluff but watch your sounder and follow the bait. It stacks up pretty well there.

Fished Thrasher yesterday. Managed a 12 lb Chinook at 120 feet on a herring aid. Other than that fishing was very slow. Nice to have the flat calm seas though!

Flat Calm Seas, what are those?
Glad you had a good time out there! Lady and I are taking our dads out this weekend, hopefully find some fish out there somewhere.

Flat Calm Seas, what are those?
Glad you had a good time out there! Lady and I are taking our dads out this weekend, hopefully find some fish out there somewhere.
Good luck on finding the flat calm seas this weekend. perhaps at 5 a.m. but SOG is forecast @ 10-20 nw for most of the w/e

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to briefly introduce myself here. I live in Seatlle but spend a lot of time on Orcas Island and frequently fish the north side of Orcas and jump across to Pender bluffs. Different country, but pretty much the same fish. I've been enjoying lurking on the board here and learn a lot from the reports. Our seasons are much shorter, so it is nice to get an idea of what is going on out there before we are allowed to get out.

Once we hit July and things open up down in the US, I look forward to contributing here!

James

Really slow in the gulf islands this weekend. Put in a long day yesterday with no keepers to show for it. Spent most of the day at pender bluffs. Saw a couple small ones bonked on other boats but not a lot of action for the 15 boats out there ... Most for the Moby's fishing derby out of Saltspring.

Finally got a low teen early this morn at pender on a Chovy at 99'. Saw 1 other small guy brought in as well. Very windy on the strait side this am so lots of boats fishing the inside with not much luck by all accounts.

Dad and I had a great weekend out there! We decided that the previous two weekends in the winds were enough so we decided to stay closer to home and in some more protected areas. Yesterday we got a double header. One about 11 or 12 pounds and one quite small. Today, we boated 7 springs, only two keepers with the big one about 15 pounds, and 10 or more dogfish. Some might not be so excited with 3 fish in two days but we were happy with lots of action.

Any rewards to fighting the winds on the outside of the islands?

Dad and I had a great weekend out there! We decided that the previous two weekends in the winds were enough so we decided to stay closer to home and in some more protected areas. Yesterday we got a double header. One about 11 or 12 pounds and one quite small. Today, we boated 7 springs, only two keepers with the big one about 15 pounds, and 10 or more dogfish. Some might not be so excited with 3 fish in two days but we were happy with lots of action.

Any rewards to fighting the winds on the outside of the islands?

Where were you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back