2015 Nanaimo Reports

Right on GU. How deep were you down? Hard to say on size cause ive only got out a few times this year here. Although it wouldn't surprise me, down in the south island there have been a lot of large springs caught this season including a number of them in the high 30's.

Right on GU. How deep were you down? Hard to say on size cause ive only got out a few times this year here. Although it wouldn't surprise me, down in the south island there have been a lot of large springs caught this season including a number of them in the high 30's.
120. Hit on the anchovy side. Probably should have got in sooner, but that's fishing.

I guess I've been unlucky then cause it seems like everything I catch are just undersized, 7 in the last week but I did get a nice little 12# tonight. There were plenty of fish on the sounder all night, I was out in 650ft of water and there was a row of fish 350 down that went on for over 2 km. never seen that out here before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or is the size up this year? Last year I struggled to break 12; this year half are pushing 20.

Interestingly I was thinking the same thing but after checking my logs for the past 4 seasons the numbers of fish I've ( or more often my guests) landed over 20 lb has been remarkably consistent. 21, 23, 16 and 17 to date this season. The one thing that does jump out at me is the number of fish over 20 caught early in the season is way up. I boated a 21 in April this year where previously mid May was the crossover point. No tyee yet this year but fingers crossed!!

heads up in Nanaimo area... ( off fishing topic)

my friend has had his 24ft grady in a locked, secure area, in central Nanaimo and last week boat was broken into and all of his fishing gear swiped, except 2 islander reels...( someone didn't know what they were looking at I guess) He had enuff tackle to keep a store open and most was still in original packages. dozens of silver horder and gold start packs.. so if anyone is offering cheap gear in the next little while, maybe ask where it came from..

Out 2 nights ago and saw the water temp at 22.5 celcius. So fished deep but just pinks, sickly looking pinks with red sores all over their belly. Never seen water this warm, but did see a nice spring at the dock when i got back, so still worthy to put in efforts.

Ikee, maybe you could also post the DFO Fishery Notice web site?

I would, but do not know how to do it.

Hey, the below is a copy of the DFO post , pertaining to Area 17 (Nanaimo) , Sockeye . Which means CLOSED until they print an opening in writing:

POSTED BY DFO

Sockeye 30 cm See below for in-season decisions. April 1 - March 31 Barbless Hook & Line
Additional Restrictions

Then when you look below ;

Sockeye

In-season sockeye management decisions will be posted here.
Fi

Hope this helps !

S-V II

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick fish last night off the fingers. Lots of pinks around anywhere from 50 to 120 feet. Small pink hootchies working well.

Was out this afternoon and got a nice close up of the cg hover craft which was pretty cool and a couple orcas around the fingers but no fish today.

Was Out off fingers from 2pm to 6pm... Released about 4 pinks to 5 lbs...no other action....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll back up the amount of Pinks, got a couple hours in at entrance, same thing over there. Beer tasted the same.

067a1127ea0649a2f0849e34e57d6a7e.jpg
226e30c45305b7b23b7e1ad7504cdc21.jpg
here are those nice fish from this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oooops, I'm not too good with the pics. But these guys we got this morning on anchovy not too deep. all were whites----Iguess Columbia river fish. Had a double header that had us hopping. Lots of fun!!---- How do you make the pictures smaller?

Back