2015 Nanaimo Reports

Set 2 traps in a past performing hole. 1 prawn.
Set 1 trap in a location nearby, 25ish prawns, all unberried females.

No legal salmon.

Slow beautiful day with great company.

Yes it was a good day.. until I was setting up my brand new ACE line hauler to pull the traps at the end of the day... 2 idiots fumbling around with a new piece of equipment and I pull the pin. "Ploop" down goes the arm. Aside being a big **** off and a shot to the ego we managed to salvage the day and haul up 800 ft of rope by hand to find a prawn dinner :) Next morning about 10am Smiley and friend show up with a new arm fresh off the press from ACE here in Nanaimo. Thats what you call a class act, and a good crew. Looking forward to next weekend.. Thanks guys!

PS Going to put a safety wire on this one so it doesn't happen again :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about your loss, but, you are not alone in this regard, just talk
to my next door neighbour. He lost one at Twin Island.

fogged in, in truth I am only guessing, but they were big enough to have been berried so it makes sense that they were female
They are born male and change to female as they age.

fogged in, in truth I am only guessing, but they were big enough to have been berried so it makes sense that they were female
They are born male and change to female as they age.

probably a good guess...thanks for this and all your posts

Out all day today, prawn traps around the fingers, 8 traps 2 sets only 36 prawns. Lost a fish that popped the pin right away then lost another nice one, looked close to 20 pounds at the side of the boat, forgot my net haha Beautiful day out there!!

I couldn't beat the Pollock off with a stick yesterday, anything I tried I would reel in on of them little brown suckers with all the fins..weird .. never seemed to have that problem out front before, trolling 220 in 600' with bait n spoons..

I couldn't beat the Pollock off with a stick yesterday, anything I tried I would reel in on of them little brown suckers with all the fins..weird .. never seemed to have that problem out front before, trolling 220 in 600' with bait n spoons..

I had the same problem yesterday too. I think the best way to deal with them is to recycle them into the crab trap :D

I managed one 12 lber between the 1000 cod. I was pulling a grey ghost bucktail behind a flasher. After getting tired of the cod I put on two 6 inch plugs. Still caught a rock cod.lol Saw one other boat had a 16lber. Can't wait till the new recruits start showing in in a couple more weeks.

Was out sunday from 8 to 10 am got two salmon at 125' about 1 km off the fingers. I cought on cop car spoon with green glow flasher and the other on chovy with green flasher. Lost my first hit that was on chovy. Nice way to spend the morning. 20150412_094030.jpg20150412_094030.jpg

Finally got out there and started the season in style. Went 3-4 one keeper two released and one lost to a bad net job!! (That's on me!) lolimage.jpg

got a 13 pound white spring around 6:30 after trolling for 4 hours for one shaker and about 20 Pollock or whatever those things are. army truck hoochie 120 ft.

Nice fish Ray(Boneman), great way to start the season pal, will have your A game when you get to Hardy, you'll be all warmed up.

Cheers

2 keepers and one undersized this afternoon. one just legal and the other was about 16. kitchen sink coyote and army truck hoochie. still tons of those cod out there, been checking the gear every 10-20 mins and about 3/4 of the time at least one line will be dragging one. would probably be a bit more salmon action if a guy could keep the gear in the water more.

Back