2015 Nanaimo Reports

I was watching a boat with four guys jigging for bottom fish at Entrance on Sunday. I video taped them and trolled right up beside the boat. As I got about 30 yards away, both rods went off and I was into a double header, by myself. This was too much for the other boat, and went back to the Vancouver waters. I landed the one that felt the heaviest and lost the other. Managed a 12# and a little later, a 10# for my efforts, in 3 hours of fishing.
I am tempted to post the boat on here for all to see.

You need to get a report in on the RAPP line if you want to stop this crap

Saw the same thing at entrance a while back. Videotaped them they even waved at me. Saw them club a shark and box it. It was a big cabin cruiser with about 10 people on board all "non caucasian". Sent the video to DFO and was told they are allowed there and how did I know they were not just targeting sharks and p-cod? Two of them were jigging one rod as they could not do it on their own quite funny actually.
The Life timer with the t-top is no exception out of Brechin guy is always there what is he fishing for middle of winter with no down riggers, sporting jigging setups only. I would be considered racist if I generalized though!

Fished Neck Point from 9 to 3 today nothing. Still lots of herring balls around but they were a little deeper today.. I think the last two hours before dark might be more productive, try again tomorrow.

100+ yesterday evening, packaged for cut plugging
150+ tonight, threw whole damn cooler in freezer, deal with it later! Probably going to pickle that batch.

fished the cannery for a few hours while the traps soaked today. had one bangin away that didn't stick and one other undersized. lots of other boats out.

I was out there too.. neck point to entrance. Dogfish Dogfish Dogfish. The bastards were at all depths eating chovies, spoons and hoochies... tried speeding up and they got it on the turns. At least the beer was cold at the dinghy dock :p

Going to go out n soak the crabtrap for a bit and take the girlfriend for a scoot, going to leave the rods at home just do a little tour...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogfish Dogfish Dogfish.
whats up with the dogs this year. Don't usually see them till mid june.

5c48df0c9e19e6c0dc3d83c393fb9a97.jpg
did a scenic tour of the gabriola bluffs..
81fe1ddcfb6d3d7c254e480f9bf4ee35.jpg
managed to find a few crabs..MmCrabs... Changed the plugs in the 70 and it seemed to run a little better...
82f5a8fb09e24a8ff866b05d85ed43e4.jpg

Thanks man, latch was open there, i have to unlatch it to connect or disconnect my steering bar, nice to shut off the twostroke
N tour around on the kicker

So there's Dogfish everywhere.and major plankton bloom starting around.....

Is the average water temp a little warmer than normal? Dog fish are supposed to like water that's a little warmer.....just guessing , don't have any facts or figures readily available....

So there's Dogfish everywhere.and major plankton bloom starting around.....

Is the average water temp a little warmer than normal? Dog fish are supposed to like water that's a little warmer.....just guessing , don't have any facts or figures readily available....

where are all these dogfish being caught exactly? I trolled for 5 hours the other day around entrance/cannery and didn't hit a single one, no algae either but the surface water was pretty brown from the fraser I assume.

We got quite a few Dogs yesterday too. Also one big P-Cod that had it's belly ripped out of it on the way in. That was a bit of a surprise. No Salmon at all.

Chevshaulass:-

I read there was a bloom starting up at Kitty Coleman right now......and I've read several reports of guys catching a lot of Dogfish...

After reading up on Dogfish, they're probably around for the herring. There are resident schools of Dogfish in G/Strait that wander all over the place. They can live up to 40 years.

Older Dogs like the warmer water but the young ones aren't so fussy.

There used to be way more of them around back in the 40's and before. But they were almost commercially wiped out in 1947 and they haven't recovered in those numbers since....although they have recovered quite a bit.

They love eating Capelin too.

Back