Sooke2015

Went down to the same area as our modest success yesterday once more today, from 9:00 till 12:00, and covered the east side of otter as well. Not a touch.
I guess that is fishing!:)

BWD is a bit unreliable these days. Early this morning it was forecast for 5K through till noon, but when we got there it was a big chop which got worse. I come back to the computer now and I see he has it as 15K from 8:00am. That would explain the big rollers! Not so much a forecast now; more an after the fact report. LOL:)

Went down to the same area as our modest success yesterday once more today, from 9:00 till 12:00, and covered the east side of otter as well. Not a touch.
I guess that is fishing!:)

BWD is a bit unreliable these days. Early this morning it was forecast for 5K through till noon, but when we got there it was a big chop which got worse. I come back to the computer now and I see he has it as 15K from 8:00am. That would explain the big rollers! Not so much a forecast now; more an after the fact report. LOL:)

Come further east Englishman, BWD fooled us again today but we did managed 9 hook ups 4 in the boat released two fish over 75 cm. Bag Juan was the skipper today and told me I can't give a full report. Hint... east of church rock.

Was down at the marina yesterday;nairy a fish to be had...fish have moved on...don't have much faith in old reports ;)

Noticed lots of little jellies fouling the lines today near Otter, and weeds. I didn't see many large targets on the sounder, or bait, but I did manage one halibut to the boat from about 250+ft of water. I didn't bother trolling for salmon. Fair number of boats out there in all the usual spots.

out of Cheanuh today. Fished Whirl Bay, or tried to, as the Murrays' tables confused me again!! I'm sure I read that it would be ebbing until 11, then slack then flooding at 1pm. We got out there at 8am, motored to the far end of Whirl. The tide was flooding then!! It got worse and by 11:30 my downrigger line was under the boat and the leg of the big motor too. Not a sniff. Plenty of boats netting all around us. We started with anchovy, then tried a green spoon and a coho killer. We tried 60, 70,80,90,110,140 and even 175 for awhile. bumpy, windy cold. That's Sooke! :) Wanted to have bbq salmon for the folks tonight, instead, they are bringing take out!! Zee

There were a lot of boats out today, and we joined em. Out from 9:30-12:30, Whirl mostly, caught one nice 9lb spring, and had one other shaker. Saw a few other nets out, and some fish being cleaned at the tables. A pod of orcas came down the center of the strait around noon, with a herd of whalewatching boats in tow. It was a flood the whole time we were out there Xena, which I think is consistent with the Murrays table, although perhaps the slack was earlier than expected. Anyway, salmon pasta for dinner for us!

Last edited by a moderator:
ya, you cant trust those current atlas tables in some of the bays like whirl and church rock, the water will be swirling around certain points and at certain locations actually be going in the opposite direction of the general flow. :)

Big flood should send some more fish...

Yes I concur..Amazing how just a few days changes everything... Fish definitely were off the bite today at least east where we were..They were here and there but not nearly as good as week before.. Its going to get a lot better.... From what I have seen in May I think we are going to have a very good season.:)

Fished east of church rock with my son in law today picked up two 70 cm hatch on spoons near bottom at 120ft just after lunch. Released a couple smaller ones around 5 lbs, lost a couple due to fisherman's error. A good bite on for 2 hrs. Fished from 12noon till 330 pm just a tad lumpy out there.

Chero did that weird jellyfish snot fouling line crap leave? It was really bad on Sunday.... Still picking that stuff off the gear.. I am hoping were not going to get a wave of that stuff coming in..

Beautiful sunny day on the water. Fished from 7:30am until 2:00pm today in the Trap to Beachy Head area, both in tight and deeper. Got a decent hit on a Andrew P. sand lance spoon, my first ever on that lure. Got the fish to the boat where it took off again diving down hard and it came off. Not big – probably around 8lb - but it sure fought like a crazy thing. Later I wondered if it was an early coho?? Got two strange bouncy vibrating hits on anchovy but missed them both. That was it for the day.

At 2:30pm could not restart the main so had to come in on the kicker. Took 90 minutes to get in to the Prestige, where I had to catch a cab to Sunny Shores where trailer was parked and…..well you get the picture…..Fortunately most of trip was around last of the pm flood or could have taken far longer!!

I think the battery has gone as was reading only 10.8V out there. Thought it was not holding charge that well and should have gone with gut and replaced it before this trip…..Shoulda, coulda, woulda… LOL!:)

Friday fished Whirl Bay 6:00 - 12:00. Landed an 8 and 10 Chinook and released about 6 rock fish. Have you ever noticed the eagles can spot a rock fish on your line from about a km away, and will fly to your boat waiting for you to release it? Today I held a small dead fish up, the eagle hovered about 30' above my boat, I threw the cod as high as I could and he caught it with both talons. Very cool - gotta get a go pro.

A guy at the dock was cleaning a 15 and a 20 from Beechy Head/Trap. Another guy had a small pink.

Quit feeding the wildlife;rock cod actually tastes pretty good :D

Back