Sooke2015

Fished Whirl Bay today from 930 to 1230. 6 fish to the boat kept 4 with the largest 13.5 lbs, the rest between 5 and 7lbs. Rubber out fished bait today 4 to 2(ultra violet white needlefish houchie) but the largest was caught on bait. All fish caught between 130 and 150 ft.

Fished Whirl Bay today from 930 to 1230. 6 fish to the boat kept 4 with the largest 13.5 lbs, the rest between 5 and 7lbs. Rubber out fished bait today 4 to 2(ultra violet white needlefish houchie) but the largest was caught on bait. All fish caught between 130 and 150 ft.

Good work Colin! Sounds like a good day and retirement is treating you well!

Heard there was a lot of boats at Whirl Bay this weekend.

A few boats stuck around Aldridge and Becher Bay with some success as well.

What beautiful weather to be out on the water.

Went out in front of the sooke harbour in the tinner. Beautiful day started at 8:00 ish went in around 11:30. Had lots of action early. Released 2 about 3 lbs, kept one at 11 lbs and lost two others around that size as well. All on hardware. Did not touch anything else we put down. Next week the slot starts, looks like anything more than 10 lbs if wild will have to throw back. Good news is that most are hatchery right now.

As reported by Misty it was indeed an incredible spring like day today on the water from the weather point of view. No wind, hot sun and zero fog even on the Olympics.
Unlike Misty though fished Harbour mouth down to trailer park and back 8:30am until 2:00pm without one single touch. Saw a few dolphins, but no birds and nothing on the sounder all day except one small group of fish at 130' opposite bluffs. Lures went right through them with no response!
That makes just one fish in the last three winter trips. Time to beach the boat, do some spring freshwater fishing and wait for better days!:)

P.S. Just realised Misty post must refer to yesterday since time of post was 9:44am and report says fished to 11:30am. Makes my poor report more reasonable......:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished yesterday afternoon (Sunday). Trolled with the ebb from tin shack to Otter pnt with one 3-5lb hook up and release 30ft from the boat. Put down chunks of meat down on the bottom over towards Muir in the flood current but no halibut to show for it. Didn't see much for bait.

Fished halibut close to the bluffs this afternoon but nothing touched the bait. Just my two cents.

Fished just south of Racerocks today from 7-10am. Spent basically the full three hours hooked up to hali's, really quiet an eventful morning. Fought one for an hour and a half only to have it spit the jig, another for half an hour with the same result. Seemed we were able to find a hot spot but couldn't manage to put one in the boat. Maybe we will have to try circle hooks next time...

Went out sat, sun, mon, and tues. no halibut, not even on the GoPro. Two salmon just under 7 lbs, both caught on Tuesday on water between 120' to 180' deep. One was on baitrix. There were other salmon caught but too small to count.

monday went out at 11 am,anchored up in front of bluffs,till 2pm,,one 25lb hali,one 15lb pacfic cod,,,went out wed. 11am to muir creek for halis,,nothing in 290ft of water,,till 2:30

Fished Whirl bay this afternoon, from 2 till dark, picked up two. Both on anchovies , one on a Super Betsy flasher and one on a Purple Haze. one at 60 and one at 75 feet.
Beautiful day on the water.
Oh yeah, they had 7-8 inch herring in their bellies.

On the pick for an hour and had a little 15-ish lb hali. It had a red belly, seems small to be migratory, at least migratory for spawning reasons. I guess they move around to feed? 250' depth, power bait, flood current, 1 Tuff Session Ale.

My buddy brought banana bread on the boat. I'm not superstitious but I expected better etiquette than that from him. But, we brought home two halibut, 22# and 14# and released two others. We had a double header at the end. All had red bellies, all caught in over 300' depth. Nothing in their bellies.
I lost my favourite hoochie set up when something chewed through my 200# mono leader without me noticing. What has teeth like that?

Oh, and a 7lb chinook.

My buddy brought banana bread on the boat. I'm not superstitious but I expected better etiquette than that from him. But, we brought home two halibut, 22# and 14# and released two others. We had a double header at the end. All had red bellies, all caught in over 300' depth. Nothing in their bellies.
I lost my favourite hoochie set up when something chewed through my 200# mono leader without me noticing. What has teeth like that?

Oh, and a 7lb chinook.

Dog fish.

They make easy work of my 150lb Jinkai mono.

Those are the two likely candidates I suppose. I've never lost gear like that before, and I've caught lots of dog fish and the odd ratfish, and watched them on the go pro. The line was chaffed and broken just above two large hooks and bait/hoochie. It didn't get snagged on the bottom and it was only down there for 5 minutes. Just wondering if there may have been something else out there I haven't come across before.

We had 5 bite off on 150lbs mono the week before, finally got a doggie up that was clamped onto bait but not hooked, doggies were taking the bait between hootchie and bait. Some bites were so lite Ya hardly notice the rod shake. Plus the bonus double dog hook up. Now im running downrigger wire as leader to hooks.

Back