Victoria Reports 2015

I hit OBF for a couple of hours last Friday from about 10am. Trolled up and down Chatham as it was too rough out at Brodie, had one strike that took my anchovie, but that was it.

No love today fished Constance then Mcauly pt then Breakwater lots of fish scattered throughout couple bites....

Fished Breakwater from 8-10 this a.m. No luck. Ran to Constance for an hour, and hit many shakers under 12".
Skunked!
Stosh

Fished Breakwater from 8-10 this a.m. No luck. Ran to Constance for an hour, and hit many shakers under 12".
Skunked!
Stosh

I went off Albert head around 11 am and had a nice coho on an anchovie before I could get my second line down but lost it at the net. 30 mins later, I had another smaller one in the boat around 6-7lbsq hatch. Good enough for dinner and decided to head in

Completely dead when i was out a few days ago. Fished in front of esq and the breakwater, not one bite. Would try farther out if you are going to fish the waterfront.

Waterfront springs

Completely dead when i was out a few days ago. Fished in front of esq and the breakwater, not one bite. Would try farther out if you are going to fish the waterfront.

We had a great summer ,the best I can remember,for springs off the breakwater,but it appears to be over for the big guys at least.Fished Friday with only one coho in 3 hours.

We took home a 22 lb 17 lb and a 15 lb all nice spring . Lost 4 to sea . He just would not go away.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

image.jpg...image.jpg..I went out this morning as well. I figured it was my last chance at Springs for this year. Tried a new spot I've never tried before, using a different method I've never tried before....
I left my main boat, the electric riggers, sounder and all that other stuff at home. I took out my 12 foot tinny, with a small manual rigger,my son took his Kayak, and we rendezvoused with AP and his kids at an undisclosed little cove. We worked it, and I ended up hooking a nice 15 pound spring on an AP Sandlance spoon, with no flasher....and no net! Played the fish until I was able to slide my hands onto the fish and in the boat she went.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has any one heard of the halibut season coming to a close?
I am hearing a lot of rumors end of Sept.
Is there any truth to this
Cheers.

I heard the rumor as well and called DFO, they had no info on a possible closure.
but that could change in a few hours...

From DFO

DFO and Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) Halibut Committee meets monthly
throughout the season to review estimated catches. At the most recent meeting,
it was determined that the halibut harvest by the recreational fishery to
August 31 was approximately 958,280 pounds of the recreational fishery’s Total
Allowable Catch of 1,063,550 pounds.

The fishery will remain open to December 31, 2015 under the current management
measures in effect noted on Fishery Notice FN0134.

From DFO

DFO and Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) Halibut Committee meets monthly
throughout the season to review estimated catches. At the most recent meeting,
it was determined that the halibut harvest by the recreational fishery to
August 31 was approximately 958,280 pounds of the recreational fishery’s Total
Allowable Catch of 1,063,550 pounds.

The fishery will remain open to December 31, 2015 under the current management
measures in effect noted on Fishery Notice FN0134.

Thanks for clarifying I did hear of an upcoming closure. That is fantastic news again for our fishery . Looking forward to fall/winter halibut fishing again.

Back to reports , saturday on the hook in the back eddy of the strong flood off Chatham island. 6 large dog fish, no Halibut. :(
saw Humpbubble a little farther out, any luck ?

Back