OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

fished Coal Ports again yesterday, i think i saw Tightlines22 out there. we boated 3 just legal springs. bite picked up an hour before low slack.

Winter boat project on the go and can't fish yet :(... can't wait to get out ,never fished Coal ports in winter , keep the action coming lol that's my fishing ..is on here .

More reports from that area today. Good bait and great trolling with flat water. 85-120 foot depths. Lots of 24-24.5" fish. reds.

Out in Vancouver Harbour mid a.m. to put the crab traps out for a dungeness Valentine's Day dinner ... added bonus salmon caught in the freighters on the Jericho side of the harbour on bottom on a green/glo Pesca spoon ... tipped a couple ounces over 18 lbs. Tons of bait on the Jericho/Spanish Banks side of the harbour and little bait on the West Van side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 916
Would like to get out there this weekend but got the news this week boat is out of commission for a bit. Keep the reports up would like to know where to go when back running.

Not a lot of bait around on the Jericho side, found a couple of pockets, let an undersize go and lost a nice pin popper, both on the bottom green glo coyote and a silver horde green/glo.
Beauty day but BWD predicted the winds right...

A few fish being found everywhere right now. I know of several from the Harbour, several up Howe Sound and some hot and cold fishing across the Gulf.

Here is the latest from Dave of Predator Charters. If anyone wants to learn a few things about fishing, Dave would be the guy to book a charter with and go to the Gulf Islands with.

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: February 16th/2015

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Anglers

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.ca
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642
http://twitter.com/salmonfishdave

Hello Fellow Anglers

This year's winter Chinook fishery has been one of the better ones in recent years.....when the weather cooperates. The early 2015 action over off Porlier Pass and Thrasher Rock was very good during January, and it continues to produce into February, though it hasn't been as hot as it was earlier in the year. The Coal Ports have also produced very well again this winter, though again, it seemed to be hotter earlier in the year.

In recent weeks we have seen our local Howe Sound and Vancouver Harbour winter fishery start perking up. Anglers are regularily landing prime winter Chinook weighing into the "teens" in Howe Sound as well as some of the typical smaller legal fish (up to 10 lbs or so). In addition to these legal sized fish, there finally seems to be some decent numbers of underisized fish thrown into the mix, and anglers are releasing several of them on some days. This bodes very well for the future fishing later this year as these fish will become legal sized in the coming months. I look back on the "good old days" of the local winter fishery when we would typically boat 2 or 3 legal fish as well as release a half dozen or so undersized fish on an average "good" day.....lately, we seem to be getting close to these kinds of numbers on some of the better days, so this is very encouraging.

I would expect to see similar results through the rest of this winter's fishery (for about another month or so), then we will get into our "springtime" Chinook fishery off South Bowen. Hopefully we will see some decent fishing in this area during April. Back in the 90's when this fishery was very strong, it followed a strong winter fishery, so my fingers are crossed that this winter's strong fishery will translate into good fishing off Bowen in April.

By late April we will begin to see good numbers of Chinook starting to show up around Porlier Pass again, and Thrasher Rock should get hot during the last few days of April and/or by May 1st as it does every year. The Lingcod season also opens on May 1st in the Gulf Islands, so that is the time to start travelling over to there on a regular basis when weather allows. Remember, trips over there require a minimum 8 hours. This is also the time of year that I begin to get booked up, so if you are thinking of doing one of these trips it is always a good idea to start looking at dates. For trips booked specifically to fish over at the Gulf Islands we do need relatively calm water, so postponing your trip if it is too rough is something that we may have to do.

At present, Prawns remain closed in Area 28 (Howe Sound....my usual prawn fishing location), but they will open up on April 1st. In the meantime, I have set my traps out in Area 29 on occasion, and we have done OK, though I don't leave them there overnight, so catches are definitely less than they would be with the longer soak.

I am still working in the marina building a large replacement dock, but this just means that I can get away on short notice for a charter if the weather looks good and you want to get out to pursue these prime winter Chinook.

Again, this is a reminder that you will need to purchase your Saltwater fishing license “on-line” from the Department of fisheries website. The following is a link to the DFO website where you can purchase your license. Remember to get a salmon stamp as well as the basic license as the stamps are not available at the marina either. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/licence-permis/index-eng.html

Charter rates for 2015 are as follows: For one or two people the rate for or a 5 hour charter it is $520 + GST. If there are 3 people in your party it is $555 + GST for the 5 hour charter, and if your group has 4 people in it the rate is $595 + GST. Additional hours are $95 + GST.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. I have a Twitter account, and will be posting pictures and results of my fishing trips from out on the water as they occur. If you are interested in "following", my "name" is "salmonfishdave (http://twitter.com/salmonfishdave).

If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me at (davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Note: If you see this report posted on my website and you didn't receive it directly like you use to, please send me an e-mail and I will put you back on the list. If you wish to be removed from this e-mail list, please let me know and I will do so.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
www.predatorcharters.ca
davek@dccnet.com
david.korsch@eastlink.ca
davekorsch@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/salmonfishdave
(604) 329 - 8642

who was running bon chovy saturday just gone?
had a party of 4-5 on board

Ran across the straight on Tuesday with a buddy. Perfect day on water. Fished Porlier through the tide change released 2 just shy on green and white pesca with green onion flasher. Got first keeper, 25 inch, on a clear pink splatter back hoochie in green glow jughead running a green onion dummy - love fishing hoochies without in line flasher! Moved up past thrasher bonked 2,28 inches, both on no banana green onion rig. Dragged a gold Andrew p for a while but gave up after it produced a flounder & rockfish. 200 ft just off bottom. They were full of 5 inch herring.

Trolled hut to tunstall today. Did three loops and headed back to lions bay
Bounced bottom and 125ft. No hits

Crabbing was pretty good for such a short soak, 5 keepers

lost a decent fish local today
but seen a few others land a few as well mostly undersize
looking good for fishing out at the hump soon

lost a decent fish local today
but seen a few others land a few as well mostly undersize
looking good for fishing out at the hump soon

I agree.
I fished the Van Harbor for two days with just limited luck and very small springs. Wanted to fish the hump yesterday but the water was nasty , going to hit the hump next week , kinda thinking the same as you ...... the hump time any day now , hell everything else is earlier this year so just maybe eh !

radio reports from the other side sound like the fishing is picking up
it was a nada day local and being cursed with someone on board bringing a banana
who was told in no uncertain circumstances no more bananas on board or else

radio reports from the other side sound like the fishing is picking up
it was a nada day local and being cursed with someone on board bringing a banana
who was told in no uncertain circumstances no more bananas on board or else

I agree ....

LOL

Back