Capilano Hatchery Announcement by Fisheries Minister at the Hatchery on October 3rd

Peahead

There is an announcement by the Fisheries Minister at the Capilano Hatchery in North Van at 11 am NOW 10 AM
on Friday October 3rd. A good turn out will be a good thing. The announcement involves the future of the Capilano Hatchery so anyone interested should consider coming to this .

An early arrival is recommended so that you are there prior to announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Minister is showing up..I would think this could be a good thing as they rarely show on bad announcement..those are usually saved for a late Friday afternoon via e-mail :(...If u can make the time to go ..please do...:)

If the Minister is showing up..I would think this could be a good thing as they rarely show on bad announcement..those are usually saved for a late Friday afternoon via e-mail :(...If u can make the time to go ..please do...:)

Exactly ... a photo opportunity for the Minister ... a new financial commitment or, in today's time, an enhanced working relationship with the First Nations in the surrounding area, or something else equally photo worthy. Will be very, very interested to hear what the announcement is.

Exactly ... a photo opportunity for the Minister ... a new financial commitment or, in today's time, an enhanced working relationship with the First Nations in the surrounding area, or something else equally photo worthy. Will be very, very interested to hear what the announcement is.

I think it's one or both of these of 2 things:

A) Uninvolving the Capilano from DFO Management...and transferring it to the First Nations Peoples of the area.

B) The hatchery is due for a renovation, expansion, modernization, enhancement and refit as well so that could be it...under First Nations Guidance.

Hopefully whatever announcement is made is a positive thing and changes the way the First Nations people do this...and selling fish at the bottom of Cap Road.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iuseR1aYsDc

Last edited by a moderator:
Busted, that's me in the red shorts. Like my technique? :cool:

Nothing wrong with a good news announcement - everyone benefits hopefully

FYI - TIME OF ANNOUNCEMENT ON FRIDAY HAS BEEN MOVED UP TO 10 am

Won't be off the boat until 3pm. Thanks for publicizing it. A good turnout means that there are voters who give a bleep about fisheries management. Go if you can.

From the Fed's in advance of tomorrow:

Government of Canada Makes Significant Investment in Salmon Hatcheries

VANCOUVER, B.C. – The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, and Andrew Saxton, MP for North Vancouver and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance, will announce significant capital funding to upgrade and renew infrastructure at salmon hatcheries and many spawning channels in British Columbia.

Photo opportunities will be available, and media in attendance will be invited to tour the hatchery.

Date: Friday, October 3, 2014
Time: 10:00 a.m.
4500 Capilano Park Road
Capilano River Regional Park
North Vancouver, B.C.
- 30 -
For more information (media only):
Carrie Mishima
Communications Advisor
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
604-666-0392
Cell: 604-328-4370

Thanks for that hambone. There was a pretty good turn out and mix of groups including President CEO of PSF, Brian Riddel, as well as a special guest researcher I assisted back in the day at UBC, Dr. Brian Ford. Some guides from BCSFGA as well as some NSFGC members and many others attended.

Here is some more of the "meat" of the announcement - info below: I will also get a couple of photos I took posted up here as soon as I get a chance.

https://research.tdwaterhouse.ca/research/public/Markets/NewsArticle/100-276u6726-1

Minister Shea and MPs Saxton and Weston Announce Funding for Major Upgrades of Salmon Hatcheries and Spawning Channels1 hour ago by Marketwire Canada

The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, joined by Andrew Saxton, MP for North Vancouver and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance, and John Weston, MP for West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea to Sky Country, today announced that the Government of Canada is providing $34.2 million over five years to upgrade and renew salmon hatcheries and spawning channels operated by the federal government under the Salmonid Enhancement Program (SEP).

This funding includes $13.8 million to refurbish crucial water supply and delivery systems at all 16 major salmon hatcheries and many spawning channels and $20.4 million to modernize and refurbish aging infrastructure at Bella Coola's Snootli Creek Hatchery, which serves the B.C. Central Coast.

The investments will renew infrastructure that is, in many cases, 30 years old. It will also improve efficiency of the facilities, their operational reliability and flexibility, and reduce maintenance costs. A reliable supply of high-quality water is a critical element to the successful production of salmon at hatcheries and spawning channels.

This investment is part of ongoing efforts by the Government of Canada to reinvest in the 36-year-old Salmonid Enhancement Program. A $14 million renovation of the Quinsam River Hatchery in Campbell River was completed in 2014 and other hatcheries will be upgraded according to priority.

Quick Facts

-- The federal government's Salmonid Enhancement Program operates 23 salmon
hatcheries and spawning channels, which release hundreds of millions of
juvenile salmon every year to supplement wild stocks and sustain British
Columbia fisheries.

-- Salmon hatcheries play a key role in the Salmonid Enhancement Program's
efforts to conserve weak salmon stocks; provide recreational, commercial
and Aboriginal fishing opportunities; and support stock assessment.

-- Hatcheries and spawning channels provide increased fishing opportunities
and comprise an estimated 10-20 per cent of all salmon harvested in B.C.

-- The Salmonid Enhancement Program contributes approximately $90 million
of direct and indirect economic benefits and 1,592 person-years of
employment annually to Canada's economy, according to BCStats, Ministry
of Citizen Services.

Quotes

"Our Government is committed to enhancing, conserving and rebuilding wild salmon in British Columbia. That is why we are investing $34.2 million to upgrade and modernize hatcheries and spawning channels. Salmon hatcheries play a key role in our shared efforts to conserve and rebuild salmon stocks. As that rebuilding occurs, it will lead to an increase in recreational, commercial and Aboriginal fishing opportunities, which in turn is good for the province's economy."

The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans

"The Pacific wild salmon has always been an important part of British Columbia's economy and culture. Our Government is proud to support sustainable fisheries by making significant investments that include salmon production for harvest, stock assessment, habitat improvement, bolstered science, strong enforcement actions, education and best management practices."

Andrew Saxton, MP for North Vancouver and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance

Did they mention anything about doing away with "traditional" shopping carts in the river??? :p Give those well funded salmon a chance to get TO the hatchery? ;)

Haha ....yeah pretty amazing the hatchery gets escapement numbers needed despite all the killing along the way....

Here are some photos I promised

DSCF0011res.jpgDSCF0031res.jpgDSCF0046res.jpgDSCF0052res.jpgDSCF0040res.jpg

If I remember right-- some of this money was already promised... govts love puling out money announcements as many times as they can get away with..

But never the less.... Its about time.. now lets see if they get more money so they can get back to previous production levels

Back