You guys ( and gals) can't have any more halibut.....

Cuba Libre

Mr. George Wilson
President
B.C. Wildlife Federation
< officeinfo@bcwf.bc.ca >

Dear Mr. Wilson:

Thank you for your correspondence of July 23, 2014, regarding the
recreational allocation of Pacific halibut. I am pleased to note your
support for my ministerial authority over the allocation of fishery
resources.

For the halibut fishery in British Columbia, Fisheries and Oceans Canada
(DFO) allocates access among the recreational, commercial and First Nations
sectors through an integrated fisheries planning process that involves all
fishing sectors. Allocation decisions incorporate legal requirements,
treaty agreements and Aboriginal rights, as well as the equitable use of the
resource. In all cases, the Department's first priority is to manage
fisheries in a manner that ensures the conservation and sustainable use of
fish stocks, while also creating economic and social benefits for Canadians.

The allocation of Pacific halibut among recreational and commercial users
has been the subject of extensive consultation and analysis for many years,
and DFO has given careful consideration to these consultations and analyses
when making halibut allocation decisions.

In 2012, when my predecessor, the Honourable Keith Ashfield, announced the
change to the commercial-recreational halibut allocation formula, he
emphasized the importance of providing greater long-term certainty in the
Pacific halibut fishery for First Nations, commercial and recreational
harvesters, and, most importantly, encouraging jobs and economic growth in
British Columbia. He also indicated that the revised allocation formula
struck a fair balance between the sectors and established a stable
environment for the future. As such, there are no plans to alter the
existing allocation formula, which allocates 85 percent of the resource to
the commercial sector and 15 percent to the recreational sector.

It is also worth noting that declining abundance of Pacific halibut in
recent years has resulted in fewer halibut for all sectors to harvest.
Canada's Total Allowable Catch (TAC) for 2014 is 6.85 million pounds, down
from a high in 2006 when the TAC was 13.2 million pounds.

The experimental recreational halibut licence, which allows recreational
harvesters to lease Pacific halibut quota from commercial harvesters based
on market value, remains available to anglers and businesses interested in
additional fishing opportunities. This mechanism offers economic stability
for the recreational fisheries and the coastal communities that benefit from
angler contributions.

I appreciate the input provided by the B.C. Wildlife Federation through the
International Pacific Halibut Commission Conference Board and the Sport
Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB). As you are aware, our collective objective
is to ensure that the recreational fishery remains open for the longest
season possible, while staying within its allocation. Drawing on advice
from the SFAB, DFO adjusted its management measures this year to support
this objective.

Thank you for your support and for sharing your views about this important
matter.

Yours sincerely,

Original Signed by

Gail Shea, P.C., M.P.

Gail Shea is a useless piece of work, must be related to Alison Redford.

But in 2015 the whole plan was we were going to get more because it's an election year bla bla bla. Told you so...

This is where the argument that the recreational harvest generates more $'s/lb of fish should come in. E.g if "the Department's first priority is to manage fisheries in a manner that ensures the conservation and sustainable use of fish stocks, while also creating economic and social benefits for Canadians", then the economics of the TAC allocation needs to be considered. Due to our inefficient methods of harvest and our large expenditures on other items (food, housing etc) while fishing, the recreational sector generates far more $ per pound of fish harvested than the commercial sector. If the goal is to also created economic and social benefits for Canadians, the recreational sector TAC should increase. Also, when Gail states "He also indicated that the revised allocation formula struck a fair balance between the sectors and established a stable environment for the future" one must ask two questions:
1) Why is she pawning the decision/rationale off on her predecessor? E.g. she should take responsibility for what happens now. Explaining that the predecessor made this decision is a weak and squirrely way of not taking responsibilty.
2) By what metric is this formula a "fair balance"? This should be rational metric not simply a statement of apparent fact with no rationale to back it up.

Gail Shea apparently comes from a family of commercial fishers, so you know what way she would lean. There is not much recreational fishing on the east coast.

Heard the amount of quota used went up again this year...when will sfab learn in order to get more %, experimental has to fail, but experimental does much better with size limits than shorter season...hmmm...think about it!!!!

The "experimental" halibut fishery has been opposed since day one by the SFAB-- maybe YOU should think about it............ Just curious.. have you written a letter to Minister Shea's office letting her know that you feel we are getting screwed??? Well, I have -- but one voice does not count for squat..... we need ALL halibut fishermen to get off their butts ( no pun intended) and keep the pressure on her office.

( I hope you have written to her-- if so, good on you. If not, use your time more productively and get the message to those who need to hear our frustration)

Thus endith the sermon.......

Have wrote a letter. And I'm aware they're against it but their actions are ensuring more and more gets used hurting sport fishing in the long run

Where are these numbers you speak of victory? The "experimental" is here to stay. But its not SFAB that's causing people to go use it. its greed that would still be present with or without a slot limit.

A short season with big fish like your hoping for creates other problems and will un do our recent great progress. We went from a 6 month season of 1 per day to an 11 month season with 4 months of two per day in just two years of the new slot sizes. Not to mention both the lower and upper slot increased.

Stay the course finally regs have been getting better each year instead of worse we are moving in the right direction for a change. Nothing will make everyone happy but its about giving everyone an opportunity and I don't think anyone can say they don't have a chance at a halibut if they want one - unless the only time you can come is January - when its never been open.

How many years old is this "experimental" halibut quota.
When does it become "failed experiment"?
What does it take to become a "failed experiment" ?

Where are these numbers you speak of victory? The "experimental" is here to stay. But its not SFAB that's causing people to go use it. its greed that would still be present with or without a slot limit.

A short season with big fish like your hoping for creates other problems and will un do our recent great progress. We went from a 6 month season of 1 per day to an 11 month season with 4 months of two per day in just two years of the new slot sizes. Not to mention both the lower and upper slot increased.

Stay the course finally regs have been getting better each year instead of worse we are moving in the right direction for a change. Nothing will make everyone happy but its about giving everyone an opportunity and I don't think anyone can say they don't have a chance at a halibut if they want one - unless the only time you can come is January - when its never been open.

X2..thanks gdw that was a fair comment and sums it up...

Quick look at amount of quota purchased over past 4-5 years it has been implemented shows a substantial increase when slot is in GDW, compared to shorter season, so one part of your above post is untrue. That's just fact. "Great" progress...come on now. I guess 220k to 120-130k left in water is progress....."great" is certainly an overstatement.

Where are the numbers for quota purchased published ? Just curious.

quota purchase may be up but I don't know 1 person who bought quota - do you?

We need to be careful I wouldn't be surprised if an outfit with ties to the commercial industry buys quota to support the program/show it works. Kind of like how if there are canucks tickets available ownership buys them out to advertise another sellout! Meanwhile there are empty seats all over.

So if quota purchase is up whose buying it? Recreational fishermen or commercial business? We need more facts before trying to use the data to make changes. AND if some rec fishers are buying it does that mean we should all change the regs to try to prevent them from buying it? I don't think so... The program will never go away even if nobody buys quota for years it will remain. its far from a success, everyone hates it yet it remains because DFO wants it there so they don't have to answer allocation questions anymore.

Post the link that shows quota purchased this season please I'm surprised that data is even out. I doubt its accurate because you can reconcile your books later to purchase the correct amount or return your un-used portion.

Back